HELP!! Swapped '98 tran. with a '96 tran. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!! Swapped '98 tran. with a '96 tran.

mhcoop62

Reaction score
City, State
Murrells Inlet, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
I've got SO much money tied up in this vehicle already and can't sell it like it is. The transmission swap has taken place with assurance from the mechanic that it would work. Well, it won't shift from 2-3. Sometimes it will if I manually shift, but most of the time it won't. Is there anything I can do now that I've got this '96 transmission installed? I presently don't have another car to drive. My Explorer is in GREAT condition, never wrecked, no scratches, clean on inside, just can't drive it. Please can someone lead me in the right direction. I've been told it can be fixed for another $1,200-1,400. I can't afford to spend much more on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We need to know what motor you have. If you have the V8, the swap should work. If you have the V6, it wont work. Reason being that the 98 was a 5 speed auto and the 96 was a 4 speed auto. Same trans basically, but computer is different. If you have the V6 and your mechanic said a 96 trans would work, he is wrong unless he plans on swapping the computer and possibly wiring harness.

Dan

Thank you so much for replying! I have an XLT, the V6. And I'm pretty sure he did not switch out the harness. We got that off the '96 Explorer, but he said we wouldn't need it. After the vehicle is still undriveable, he said probably the chip needed switching out, but he had no idea how to do that even if it could be done.

your best bet would be to get rid of the 96 trans and look for a 98-01 V6 trans, fewer miles and will swap right in with no trouble.

Dan

Thank you so much for replying! I have an XLT, the V6. And I'm pretty sure he did not switch out the harness. We got that off the '96 Explorer, but he said we wouldn't need it. After the vehicle is still undriveable, he said probably the chip needed switching out, but he had no idea how to do that even if it could be done.

The 97+ trans are very similar EXCEPT for the software that controls them. The 5th gear is created using software by combining overdrive with another gear. I can't imagine a 5 speed computer working with a 4 speed trans. Hunterdan is correct. You may need the computer from the donor vehicle to make it work. I think your mechanic is mistaken here.

The computer is easy to switch, but you have to be sure all the pins are compatible with the old one by comparing wiring diagrams. He should have this. You may also have to modify the trans harness. The 96 had OHV engines, so if you have an SOHC that can be an issue too.

Best thing at this point is like what hunterdan said, get a 97+ 5R55E trans.

If you have a 98, then you need to find a 5R55E from a 97/98 to 2001. Prior to 1997, the only available auto was the 4R44E/4R55E

Computer swap is probably out. There could be other issues too with a PCM swap. I would do as suggested and find (or build) a good 4R55E for it and be done with it. I can't believe someone told you that you could bolt in a 5R like that and it would just work.

Thanks all of you SO much for replying! I have been trying for months to get some answers and was so sxcited when I finally found this site. I can't believe what I've read all over the internet about all the troubles with the Explorer transmissions! I really hate to put any more money in this truck, but I've already got about $600 in the swap and another $400-500 getting new heads in last year. As soon as the heads were fixed, the transmission died. That was June last year! I've been trying to get some help with this car ever since then without spending a fortune. Thank you for all the good advice!

I would get the correct transmission, then do some valvebody upgrades. These will help prolong the life of the transmission. But first you need to get the right transmission. Your mechanic should pull the 96 trans out return it, and pick up the right one for you. What you need is the 5R55E. Goodluck

Dan

??? No. what he needs is a 4R55E, right?

No, he has a 98 Ex, so he would need the 5R55E...

Thanks guys! By the way, I am a "she", and the probability of getting my mechanic to pull out the '96 and find another is slim to none. He's a guy that my husband has used for various jobs on our other vehicles and has seemed to be quite knowledgeable with all the other work he has done. My husband wa told by a transmission mechanic that the '96 would work and our mechanic friend agreed and said he would do the job for $300.00. I thought I was going to come out okay since the used trans. cost me around $250.00. So, you see where I am with this mess? I still have my old transmission riding around in the back of my husbands truck. I'm still trying to sell the Explorer, but out of fairness and honesty, Im telling anyone who calls what the deal is with the current trans. that's in the Explorer.

I don't even know what a fair price would be to sell the thing as is, to tell you the truth, and I really don't want to put any more money into it. What do you think?

The two transmissions are very similar, but enough is different that those differences need to be corrected. I would suggest reading the "5R55E rebuild diary"(search) and learning what's different.

There were changes between 96 and 98 that would make it very unwise to swap back to a 96 PCM to control the trans. Learn what you can here, and go back to the labor man and tell him that the 96 trans is a 4 speed, the 98 trans is a five speed. He should have known that if he claimed that they swapped. That being said, he should take some responsibility in making things right.

I'd say you need to have a little changed inside the 4R trans(1996) to make it a five speed that will work for the 98 truck. The changes will be minor I think, like the valve body and wiring, solenoids. Find Chris(Glacier) if you can for help, he can pin down all of those details. Regards,

I a brand new member, so I"m not sure of the easiest way to "find" Chris Glacier. Do I search the members directory and send him something directly or is there another way to do this? Thanks again for all your help. I'm determined to fix my car. I worked hard and paid for it when I was a single mom. I got remarried, got my car payed for, and then it quit working. I'm borrowing a Camry right now, but i miss my Explorer SO much.

No, he has a 98 Ex, so he would need the 5R55E...

Oh for God's sake. You're correct. I had it backwards. But everything still applies. You couldn't swap computers.

mhcoop62 said:
I a brand new member, so I"m not sure of the easiest way to "find" Chris Glacier.

Good luck with that. I have sent the guy emails and pm's and he has never responded to a one.

Chris is the resident expert of transmissions here, but yes he has been away most of the time since November of 2007.

Begin by finding his thread about the 5R55E, it is extremely detailed about the various differences. It also has tons of excellent pictures. Just the thread may tell most of what is needed to make something work with the transmission parts you have.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140987&highlight=5R55E+diary

Okay, I just read a post where Glacier's back! I don't even know this guy, but I'm SO excited since everyone says he's the man on the transmission problems. I don't know if I should email him or will he respond to this post? I'm still learning how you guys view the posts, and if I need to start a new one. Please, will someone let me know. Thanks to all!

Please do not start a new thread since we are dealing with the same issue here. I deleted your other threads about this 96/98 transmission swap. So from now on, keep all this stuff on this thread.

Okay, I will. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chris is the moderator of this trans forum, he may see this soon. You can PM him by clicking on his name on any of his posts. Regards,

Back