Help with plan for buddy in Iraq | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with plan for buddy in Iraq

project Iraqi freedom exploder

Hi, I'm new to explorerforums.com and I copied and pasted my post from ford-trucks.com. I figured I might get some better ideas here. I would like to spend my buddies cash wisely and doing as much research as possible.

Let's call this "project Iraqi freedom exploder".
My buddy is over there and I've volunteered to lift his 2000 exploder and rebuild his v6, so when he returns he'll have a nice lifted reliable vehicle.
I have done most of this type of work before, so I will be doing all the work. He is going to pay for all the stuff.
I have not done much research yet, but I hope this post will help.

Let's say his budget is around $3000.
So far, I have three companies that do lifts for his vehicle;
1) trailmaster - 4" lift - $1500
2) superlift - 4" lift - $1800
3) custom lift (I forgot the manufacturer) - $2200

He does not do any extreme off roading, only hunting and maybe some screwing around while at deer camp. Mind you we typically have 2-3 feet of snow up north in December, so geting down those trails are tough.

I was thinking the trailmaster kit - $1500 and engine rebuild (nothing really wrong, but could use a freshen-up) $500, then tires with full size spare - $1000, so there you have it. That's my preliminary plan. If you guys can think of anything I should do or buy please let me know.
Here's a link of what he wants his vehicle to look like, but it also has a 3" body lift, which I want to avoid. But at the same time, I would like to get 33" mud terrians on there.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/464729
(Same color too)

Oh yeah, I'm also not sure what gear is in it. I will check soon (it's in my garage waiting!). Hopefully I do not have to change them, but oh well if I do.

Thanks in advance!!!
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MIKE, JUST A THOUGHT FROM A VETERAN... You might look into going to VFW or Am Legion and mentioning this too. Sometimes just mentioning it will get help (donations) for members currently serving.
P.S. Pass to his wife a note from us veterans who've "been there, done that" that we are proud of him and anxiously wait his safe return!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For your tires, check out http://treadwright.com/default.aspx They are high quality retread tires for 30%-60% off of retail. You could get him a full set of 33" mudders on Mickey Thompson's for under $400.

Something I would do if I were you, round all the parts up in $$, take the extra money left over and toss it into a savings account for him. The reason I say this is because when I came home from Iraq I had paid up all my bills and even over-paid only to be hit hard as soon as my 5% interest flexed. It not only flexed but I swear they punished me for the time I was locked in at 5%. So having some money you didn't know about is always a GREAT thing. Even if it's just an extra $50.00 I am sure he would appreciate it.

MIKE, JUST A THOUGHT FROM A VETERAN... You might look into going to VFW or Am Legion and mentioning this too. Sometimes just mentioning it will get help (donations) for members currently serving.
P.S. Pass to his wife a note from us veterans who've "been there, done that" that we are proud of him and anxiously wait his safe return!

This is a great idea. I would also hit up a couple local businesses an see if they would provide a discount on any supplies you may need. You may also check with Local Junkyards, I know some in my area donate parts. So you may be able to get your hands on that beefed up rear dif free of charge.

For your tires, check out http://treadwright.com/default.aspx They are high quality retread tires for 30%-60% off of retail. You could get him a full set of 33" mudders on Mickey Thompson's for under $400.

I got him the pro-comp xtreme mud terrians. I did however get myself some retreads from treadwright 35 x 12.5 x 17 for my F150. I did not put them on yet, but will before the snow comes.

On another note, I could really use some advice on this project. Please see thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=257364

oh and btw, I asked for discounts at several places and they all said NO!!! That is except for 4wheelsparts, but then again they give everyone deals. It was a seemingly good price though. He has more cash into this thing than it's worth, but it's his vehicle and his decision.

Been following along! Can we get an update?

Les

I've created a photobucket account with all the pics. They are in random order and not named anything.

http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae344/mike12pt/Explorer Pics/

Anyway, there were some snags along the way. Here is a brief outline of what has been done:
-Rebuilt engine .020 over using a Flatlander racing rebuild kit.
-Replaced heads, old ones cracked.
-Installed Aussie locker in front axle.
-Rebuilt (alternating clutches) & Installed rear posi unit.
-Rebuilt transmission (contracted out - 1 year warrenty).
-Added 3" body lift and warrior shackles.
-Added rockers & pushrods from Delta cams.
-Replaced front upper controls arms.
-Created oil pump priming tool.
-Trimmed fenders to fit.

There is a ton of tid-bit stuff, so I'll just keep the list short.

All work was done by me except for the trans rebuild (I bought the manual, but ran out of time). Consequently, the trans was the only issue (lost reverse - band broke), but the builder was a good guy and had it turned around in a few days. I had to pull and install it again, because it was a bench build (bummer).

After he picked it up and drove it down to Texas. He complained about a few things, which we will have to take care of:
-Do the "brown wire mod", he does not like the locker in front activating everytime he touches the gas, causing the front to jerk momentarily. I did not like this either. We're hoping this helps with the bumpsteer too.
-Change gear ratio AGAIN! He changed the gear ratio while he was here to 4:10's. He had a shop do it (I volunteered, but it was his decision and I really had no time). I also had a set of 4:10 gears laying around to help make his decision easier, but I told him 4:56's. He complained it did not want to stay in overdrive on the highway and the mileage was terrible (paid $250 in gas to drive to Texas before project and the trip recently cost $400). He was pulling a small trailer with a 125 dirt bike on it though.
-Alter new hitch to match higher bumper.
-My advice is to make the overdrive switch/light go on by default, instead of the other way around (factory way sucks, puts more strain on trans by switching gears in the city and ultimately cruizing at too low rpm, again causing more strain).

All work was done using a simple Haynes book, previous experiance and articles on Explorer Forums (thank you!!)

All in all, I think it turned out well, but I feel it needs another 1" or 2" of lift. That's it for now, hopefully the above link works....

Mike

wow, that is a lot of work! Looks like you know what you are doing though. Glad to hear your friend made it back in one piece.

you worked hard! Looks amazing, what a friend :) What rims and tires did you end up with?

very beefy, Im sure he loves it

Back