Help with plan for buddy in Iraq | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with plan for buddy in Iraq

project Iraqi freedom exploder

Hi, I'm new to explorerforums.com and I copied and pasted my post from ford-trucks.com. I figured I might get some better ideas here. I would like to spend my buddies cash wisely and doing as much research as possible.

Let's call this "project Iraqi freedom exploder".
My buddy is over there and I've volunteered to lift his 2000 exploder and rebuild his v6, so when he returns he'll have a nice lifted reliable vehicle.
I have done most of this type of work before, so I will be doing all the work. He is going to pay for all the stuff.
I have not done much research yet, but I hope this post will help.

Let's say his budget is around $3000.
So far, I have three companies that do lifts for his vehicle;
1) trailmaster - 4" lift - $1500
2) superlift - 4" lift - $1800
3) custom lift (I forgot the manufacturer) - $2200

He does not do any extreme off roading, only hunting and maybe some screwing around while at deer camp. Mind you we typically have 2-3 feet of snow up north in December, so geting down those trails are tough.

I was thinking the trailmaster kit - $1500 and engine rebuild (nothing really wrong, but could use a freshen-up) $500, then tires with full size spare - $1000, so there you have it. That's my preliminary plan. If you guys can think of anything I should do or buy please let me know.
Here's a link of what he wants his vehicle to look like, but it also has a 3" body lift, which I want to avoid. But at the same time, I would like to get 33" mud terrians on there.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/464729
(Same color too)

Oh yeah, I'm also not sure what gear is in it. I will check soon (it's in my garage waiting!). Hopefully I do not have to change them, but oh well if I do.

Thanks in advance!!!
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3" bodylift ($150), do a TT (free), shackles or add a leaf in the back($100). Do some 4.56 gears with 33"s and a locker in the rear($1700), add sliders under the doors as well ($200). Might even have enough left over to add a winch as well ($4-900). It will be just as good as any of the lifts you mentioned. If you still have money left and he is back from iraq by the end of may then use the extra to load up and head to Moab with the rest of us.

What rock ranger said. Avoid the suspension lift. It's pretty much a waste of money. You don't gain any clearance with these trucks. their is a thread on here about that somewhere.

x3 just go with a body lift. The suspension lifts are just drop brackets you don't gain anything with them over a body lift other than an extra inch of height. With the body lift, torsion twist and shackles you can fit 33's with no problem and save $1500 doing it.

x3 just go with a body lift. The suspension lifts are just drop brackets you don't gain anything with them over a body lift other than an extra inch of height.QUOTE]

Actually with warrior shackles, maybe an Add A leaf and 2" Torsion twist up front he will be 1" higher than one with a suspension lift. :D

x3 just go with a body lift. The suspension lifts are just drop brackets you don't gain anything with them over a body lift other than an extra inch of height.QUOTE]

Actually with warrior shackles, maybe an Add A leaf and 2" Torsion twist up front he will be 1" higher than one with a suspension lift. :D

I was referring to just the body lift vs the suspension lift. As far as I know you can torsion twist the front still after a suspension lift.

3" bodylift ($150), do a TT (free), shackles or add a leaf in the back($100). Do some 4.56 gears with 33"s and a locker in the rear($1700), add sliders under the doors as well ($200). Might even have enough left over to add a winch as well ($4-900). It will be just as good as any of the lifts you mentioned. If you still have money left and he is back from iraq by the end of may then use the extra to load up and head to Moab with the rest of us.

Cool!!! I knew you guys know what your talking about!
Couple questions:
1) shackles or add a leaf (benefits? downfalls?)
2) I have 35" tires and 4.56 gears and it is close to stock, 33's and 4.56's seem a little much, what do you think about 4:30's?
3) I have an 8.8 in my stang w/stock t-loc w/extra clutch and it seems to hold up fine, would it be best to add extra clutch in the rear (if he has a t-loc) and add a posi in the front instead? I don't even know what he has up front yet.
4) what are sliders? I thought it was white castle hamburgers? Do you mean step bars? I'm guessing the sliders are alot tougher, where do you recommend I get them?
5) a winch would be nice, but it needs an expensive bumper to mount to...
6) he went over there in December 08, so I don't think he'll be back by then...

His wife has a bunch of signed blank checks and I'm supposed to get $2000 to start of with by the end of this month. I'll take some pics as I go along with the project.

Mike

(1) shackles will decrease your departure angle slightly but not enough to worry about. AAL's will ride a bit stiff but both are economical choices...kind of a preference thing here.

(2)I had 4.56 when I had 33's, seemed perfect to me. I've never seen 4.30 gears for our axles, next ratio down is 4.10.

(3)Nothing beats a locker, might wanna check out Aussie lockers they are one of the cheapest but quality lockers out there.

(4)Sliders or rock sliders, as the name implies they protect your rocker panels ans sometimes your doors from damage when off roading.

(5)Might wanna start hunting around for fab shops in your area that can fab a bumper for you. There's not a ton of choices out there for pre fabbed bumpers.

(6)Sounds like you have plenty of time to get this project going:thumbsup:

(7)Send over one of those blank checks, sounds like you have plenty to go around:p:

Cool!!! I knew you guys know what your talking about!
Couple questions:
1) shackles or add a leaf (benefits? downfalls?)
2) I have 35" tires and 4.56 gears and it is close to stock, 33's and 4.56's seem a little much, what do you think about 4:30's?
3) I have an 8.8 in my stang w/stock t-loc w/extra clutch and it seems to hold up fine, would it be best to add extra clutch in the rear (if he has a t-loc) and add a posi in the front instead? I don't even know what he has up front yet.
4) what are sliders? I thought it was white castle hamburgers? Do you mean step bars? I'm guessing the sliders are alot tougher, where do you recommend I get them?
5) a winch would be nice, but it needs an expensive bumper to mount to...
6) he went over there in December 08, so I don't think he'll be back by then...

His wife has a bunch of signed blank checks and I'm supposed to get $2000 to start of with by the end of this month. I'll take some pics as I go along with the project.

Mike

The warrior shackles are strong, firm up the ride a bit and give you a little more articulation in the rear.
Add A leaf will give you another 1.5" in the rear but they tend to get saggy after a while.
Im confused...are you putting 33's on it or 35's? If I were to regear it for 33's I would go for 4:10's....im running 33's with 3:73's no problem.
Sliders...as in rock sliders. You put them where you would put running boards under the rocker panels for protection. Rock sliders are pretty much universal. buy a set for any rig and you can fab them up to work. Or you can always make your own. Any 4wheel drive shop would carry them.
Im pretty darn sure he has the dana 35 up front and to do any work on that thing you have to remove almost the entire IFS.
Here is a link for the shackles $69.95....http://www.desertrat.com/products/?id=5637 Also any 4 wheel drive shop that carries any Warrior Products items would be able to get these for you.
Here is the link for the body lift that you need. 10% off $186.95-whatever that is haha...http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/883.html
And here is a good write up on how to install it....http://mudmarine.tripod.com/3bodyliftinstall/index.html
Its a 2 door so it's not exactly the same but its darn close. Also I think he welded something in the process of the installation which you do not have to do.
here are the bolt lengths you need for every mount... I got this information from cahunterman when I was installing mine....

Front mounts - 180MM
Mounts that are in front of the front seats - 140MM
Mounts just under the rear of the front seats - I used the stock bolts from the very rear mounts.
Mounts in the front of cargo area - 160MM
Mounts in rear of cargo area - 200MM

The kit has all the right bolts except for the mounts directly behind the front seats so you use the factory bolts out of the very rear of the cargo area for those ones. Also you have to drill the 2 front mounts out to 1/2" so the bolt can go through. Everything else works in the kit just fine. Rear bumper brackets can get tricky so you can make your own or do what I did with the ones that came in the kit....flip them upside down and switch sides. their is a few pics on the bottom of this thread here....http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172250

Thats all I know, hope it helps.

-Russ

I guess one pro with a body lift vs. a suspension lift is that the majority of your center of gravity (entire drivetrain) stays at the same level while increasing you approach and departure angles. Safer for city driving.

Body lifts also make tranny swaps easier. The trac lock for offroad sucks. A real locker is better.

So, what are so benefits of a suspension lift?

Rick, thanks for posting that link.

I'm laughing pretty hard with his Herculiner link!

I know it's been a while. I have been gathering information and have been really busy with work (55 hours) and other projects. I'm starting on it now and have decided on a plan of action, and it goes like this:
1. Rebuild the engine - $300-$600
2. Install a front Aussie locker, while the engine is out - $300
3. Install engine
4. Rear factory posi w/extra clutches - $120
5. Warrior Shackles for the rear - $80
6. Torsion twist in the front
7. 3" Body Lift - $300
8. Put new tires and wheels on - $1400
9. Other stuff, If we can afford it (or possibly donated), roof rack with spare tire holder, lights, rocker bars, front bumper, winch

Notes,
1. No one seems to sell rebuild kits for the 4.0 OHV engine, but I did find one place called Flatlander Racing and after doing a compression test (turned out ok), I plan on getting the Re-ring kit for $245
2. His gears are 3:73, (I have a good rear set of 4:10's for the rear, but I think I'll leave the 3:73 gears as is to save money)
3. His rear is an open diff, so I assume the front is also.
4. He has 15 x 7 chrome factory wheels with pretty good tires on, so I plan on selling these to put more money back in it.

Questions,
1. What wheel size will look/fit good on it, 15 x 8 or 15 x 10? What about back-space? Same as stock should be good, it looks like the stock fender flares stick out far enough for at least and extra inch of rim/tire.
Speaking of wheels, holy crap I don't know... I was thinking about the Dick Cepek DC-1 wheels.
2. I'm not positive on tire choice yet, but I was thinking about the new Dick Cepek bone crusher tires or Goodyear MTR's (33 x 12.5 x 15), what do you think about those? Most of his driving will of course be on the street, but he wants good off road capability.
3. I cashed the check and have $3000 to play with. Sounds like a lot, but nearly half will be spent on wheels and tires. I will also need a full size spare (probably mounted on a cheap black steel wheel). Is there a place that I can get MOST of the stuff from (and for a good price too?) What about 4 wheels parts? (I got my old suspension lift and wheel/tires from them)

I need to start ordering parts this week. I will be pulling the engine next weekend.

Thanks for all the help so far!!
Mike

I just ordered the wheels (five - 15 x 8 chrome steel "monster" rockcrawlers w/3.75 b.s.) and tires (five - 33 x 12.5 x 15 pro-comp xtreme mud terrains), plus I got the 3" body lift kit and warrior shackles.

I still need to get the engine rebuild kit, Aussie locker for the front and a posi for the rear.

I will be pulling the engine this weekend, I hope all goes well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ordered the rear posi and front Aussie locker last night (I also got one for my F150). Now all I have to do is pull the engine apart, so I know what sizes I need to get in the rebuild kit.
After all my work is done (with the parts I have), I will start looking for a roof rack w/spare tire holder and maybe some lights to go on it. It should look pretty sweet.

Back