HID Install +Pics - Step by Step | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Install +Pics - Step by Step

Peter,

I looked at this thread again and didn't see anyone asking about an oem hid kit.
I understand that his post had the ford response in it. He seemed to be asking for himself, not for another member.
Only the sarge knows what his post meant. I was just providing info for anyone with concerns about putting HID in.
Since the sarge said he wanted to ask one of the electrical engineers, I assumed he had a concern regarding his electrical system. This assumption seems confirmed based on his following post about switching bulbs rather than going HID.
Post #32 in http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385161 and also post #32 in http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394172.

I can see why you reached the conclusion that you did since you have to follow the conversation over different threads. ;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stay tuned...I just ordered another Coolbulbs HID kit for my fog lights in 8k colour temperature. In addition, I have a pair of 8k bulbs for my headlights coming in this shipment. Don't get me Wong I love the 6k colour temperature on the kit I just installed on this post but I'm curious to see the difference and pick which color I like best. Sure the 8k has maybe 5% less brightness than 6k...but it's still 295% brighter than the OEM halogen so no big deal.

So, I plan on doing a thorough step by step fog light HID retrofit with lots of pics similar to this post but, since I'm swapping bulbs anyway I plan on posting some additional headlight pics with different bulbs on each side to see an exact comparison for those who are curious:

6k HID vs OEM halogen on the headlights
6k vs 8k HID on the headlights
fog lights, 8k HID vs. OEM halogen.

Hopefully next weekend I should have a chance to do this.

FYI,
One website:
8000K This Kelvin color was included for display purposes only. Note the excessive glare & high amount of blue coloring. This bulb (and anything above it) are NOT recommended for any application.

Another website:
A variety of places sell the 8000k & 10,000k bulbs (and even higher). These bulbs have a low true lumen/output rating, produce obnoxious glare to oncoming drivers & cause eye fatigue on you the driver. Often times these aftermarket bulbs don’t produce anymore output than a quality halogen bulb. 4300k is the brightest and truest white HID bulb you can get.

I was asking the engineers for myself and anyone on here who had questions about an aftermarket OEM HID upgrade kit directly from Ford.

Somebody was asking about it on another thread.

If there was a such a kit I would have bought it.

My concern is changing to HID's and then you have an electrical issue somewhere else in the vehicle and the dealer throws that HID mod into the discussion as a contributing factor to the unrelated issue.

Right or wrong its still going to be an argument I don't want to bother with.

I know from my experience with the Interceptors that every time we add electronics to the base Interceptor vehicle, Ford Engineers would do a ton of testing to determine electrical system side effects.

Thats why the Interceptor Utility Modifiers Guide is so in depth now (free download on the Fleet Website).

I never even thought about electrical interference from HID's affecting the AM/FM radio until Harley#356 mentioned it. So that makes me think Ford would have shielded the OEM HID kits to ensure this wasn't an issue. How do we know adding an aftermarket kit to a SPORT with Halogens will not have these issues?

Harley#356 as you have a background in this stuff can you advise on how we can determine which aftermarket kits have the proper shielding?

Stay tuned...I just ordered another Coolbulbs HID kit for my fog lights in 8k colour temperature. In addition, I have a pair of 8k bulbs for my headlights coming in this shipment. Don't get me Wong I love the 6k colour temperature on the kit I just installed on this post but I'm curious to see the difference and pick which color I like best. Sure the 8k has maybe 5% less brightness than 6k...but it's still 295% brighter than the OEM halogen so no big deal.

So, I plan on doing a thorough step by step fog light HID retrofit with lots of pics similar to this post but, since I'm swapping bulbs anyway I plan on posting some additional headlight pics with different bulbs on each side to see an exact comparison for those who are curious:

6k HID vs OEM halogen on the headlights
6k vs 8k HID on the headlights
fog lights, 8k HID vs. OEM halogen.

Hopefully next weekend I should have a chance to do this.

How'd it go with those 8k's?
By HID retrofit for your fogs, you mean putting projectors in right? I'd be curious to see that, the foglight looks too small for a retrofit to me.

I've been pondering upgrading the projectors in my sport (saw it on the F150 forum), but am afraid if messing up the headlight assemblies taking it apart. Has anyone posted a step by step headlight teardown? My understanding is you have to bake your headlights to get the clear lens off and thats the part I'm afraid of doing.

How'd it go with those 8k's?
By HID retrofit for your fogs, you mean putting projectors in right? I'd be curious to see that, the foglight looks too small for a retrofit to me.

I've been pondering upgrading the projectors in my sport (saw it on the F150 forum), but am afraid if messing up the headlight assemblies taking it apart. Has anyone posted a step by step headlight teardown? My understanding is you have to bake your headlights to get the clear lens off and thats the part I'm afraid of doing.

I installed my 8k fog lights yesterday and swapped one 6k in the headlight for the 8k to see the comparison. There wasn't a drastic difference with the 8k. Yes, slightly blue'r but not as bright. Ultimately I changed the headlight back to 6k. Maybe in the spring when it's warmer I'll put the 8k's back in the headlight and drive around with it for a few week to be sure which color temp I prefer. Right now for winter and long nights I just want the brightest possible which is the 6K pure white.

As for a projector...not in the fogs. The way the thing is designed is meant to spread the light, not "project" it into a forward beam. The headlights already have a projector housing so not sure what you are referring to in pulling apart and retrofitting the headlight housing.

Hopefully his weekend I'll have an opportunity to add to the post or start another showing the Fog light HID install and all the comparisons of the light from halogen to HID on the fogs and 6k to 8k on the headlights...I also got a pic of stock halogen vs 6k HID side by side. I got tonnes of pics and will filter through the best one's and post lots. They will be up shortly.

I installed my 8k fog lights yesterday and swapped one 6k in the headlight for the 8k to see the comparison. There wasn't a drastic difference with the 8k. Yes, slightly blue'r but not as bright. Ultimately I changed the headlight back to 6k. Maybe in the spring when it's warmer I'll put the 8k's back in the headlight and drive around with it for a few week to be sure which color temp I prefer. Right now for winter and long nights I just want the brightest possible which is the 6K pure white.
It is the brightest between the 8k and 6k but that brightest, whitest is the 4300k (closest to daylight).
In the following link the 6k is actually referred to as 'Diamond Blue' and the 4300k is 'Crystal White'.
http://www.hidkits.net

Light output of a 4300k is 3100 lumens, and a 6000k is 2900 lumens although I doubt the human eye would be able to distinguish the difference.
http://www.manyadeal.com/page.html?id=24

Peter

As for a projector...not in the fogs. The way the thing is designed is meant to spread the light, not "project" it into a forward beam. The headlights already have a projector housing so not sure what you are referring to in pulling apart and retrofitting the headlight housing.

Hopefully his weekend I'll have an opportunity to add to the post or start another showing the Fog light HID install and all the comparisons of the light from halogen to HID on the fogs and 6k to 8k on the headlights...I also got a pic of stock halogen vs 6k HID side by side. I got tonnes of pics and will filter through the best one's and post lots. They will be up shortly.
I agree with Peter. The brightest HID is 4300K. But between 8k and 6k, 6 is brighter.

Motoarzan,
I was reading a few things on the candlepower forum and on daniel stern. I hate to say it, but fog lights aren't meant to spread light around. There is a difference between fog lights and driving lights.
I still don't believe it myself, but research shows that bright fog lights actually diminish your night vision. Not to mention that HIDs in your fogs will blind other drivers. I did it before on another car and it scatters the light everywhere. Then I went with projectors.
Fog lights aren't meant to shine light further than your headlights and the blue light will hurt rather than help.

www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread...-DE-FOG-Upgrade-Halogen-to-HID-(56k-big-no-no)
Read the posts by Markus starting on page 2.

www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

What I meant about retrofitting my 14 sport with upgraded projectors is that people have discovered that the OEM projectors aren't the best. I saw on the f150 forum, a guy that took out the OEM projectors and bolted on some EVOX-Rs. I like the optics and cutoff he got.
http://f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477553&styleid=16

Are those Hella Micro DE HID's Plug and Play with our SPORT's?

I agree with Peter. The brightest HID is 4300K. But between 8k and 6k, 6 is brighter.

Motoarzan,
I was reading a few things on the candlepower forum and on daniel stern. I hate to say it, but fog lights aren't meant to spread light around. There is a difference between fog lights and driving lights.
I still don't believe it myself, but research shows that bright fog lights actually diminish your night vision. Not to mention that HIDs in your fogs will blind other drivers. I did it before on another car and it scatters the light everywhere. Then I went with projectors.
Fog lights aren't meant to shine light further than your headlights and the blue light will hurt rather than help.

www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread...-DE-FOG-Upgrade-Halogen-to-HID-(56k-big-no-no)
Read the posts by Markus starting on page 2.

www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

What I meant about retrofitting my 14 sport with upgraded projectors is that people have discovered that the OEM projectors aren't the best. I saw on the f150 forum, a guy that took out the OEM projectors and bolted on some EVOX-Rs. I like the optics and cutoff he got.
http://f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477553&styleid=16

I'll agree with you on the science of how there may not be a one size fits all HID kit, how the physical design of some housings and lenses can project the light in a different pattern and in such a way as to blind other oncoming drivers.
But, the above can be ruled out by my wife and I swapping vehicles and driving towards each other on our street at night and seeing for myself that there is absolutely no blinding light shining in my eyes from the Sport. Most others on here with Sports will say the same that the beam pattern stays similar to the original halogens and that they haven't been flashed by others either.
Putting HID in a projector style lens is not so bad. It's the Dbags who put them in those older reflective style housings which just blast light out everywhere.

Also, I live in the city, my fogs are just for aesthetics and I went with 8K on them. I never expected to have them perform in foggy weather.

I suggest anyone adding an HID kit swap vehicles with their wife or friend and drive toward each other on their local street late at night and do a physical visual test for themselves!

Hi all
I finally had an opportunity a few days ago to do the step by step HID fog lights install. I started a new thread and added lots of pics.
See here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398835

I've also posted on that thread some additional pics comparing the HID headlights 6k vs 8k and 6k vs oem halogen. I'll try and post them here as well shortly.

A couple quick comparison pics
photo3_zpsa5a456ce.jpg

photo1_zpsf2c257e4.jpg

photo2_zps615be5ab.jpg

6K HID Headlights with 8K HID Fog Lights...in miserable weather :) Thank goodness I had a friends garage to do these installs during winter.
nastyweather_zps3ddcf140.jpg

Great write up w/ how-to pix's, Motarzan.

I just got my '14 EX Sport two weeks ago and, agreed, the headlights are not very good.

This is my questions:
Does the upgrade to HID bulbs within the '14 EX Sport stock headlight assembly actually provide a significant increase in head light performance for driving?

I don't care about colour or what the lights look like, just that they offer much improved lighting to drive by / from behind the wheel.

I ask because there seem to be a significant number of headlight retrofit providers, a couple of which have very informative we sites.
From what I have been reading, I have to believe that the '14 EX Sport headlight issues are related to more than just halogen bulbs vs. HID bulbs.

Now some of these retofit kits require some serious headlight bucket modifications plus can cost from +/- $400 for a DIY kit to up over $1500 for a set of customized, plug-them-in complete headlights.
IE: Check this: http://www.bilinvic-retrofits.com/index.html

I am considering spending the +/- $200 for a kit like yours, but only if the result will be better lights to drive with.
Or will the result be only slightly better than replacing the stock bulbs to a "better" aftermarket version?
I did this and the improvement is pretty underwhelming.

How is an HID bulb kit going to make this any better?

I am considering spending the +/- $200 for a kit like yours, but only if the result will be better lights to drive with.
Or will the result be only slightly better than replacing the stock bulbs to a "better" aftermarket version?
I did this and the improvement is pretty underwhelming.

How is an HID bulb kit going to make this any better?

The light output from HID is about 3x brighter. Looking out through the windshield it's way, way brighter further out and wider to the sides. It's the difference of night and day. Ask almost anyone on this forum and they will recommend it as one of the first and best upgrades to do. I didn't have to do any adjustments or alignment to my lights as the projectors keep them focused with a sharp beam cutoff. Trust me, do the HID upgrade, you won't regret it.
I wouldn't retrofit the whole assembly. Save your money and just install the bulb kit as it's a huge difference alone, cheap and easy.
The coolbulbs kit I used was about $130.

Here's my question on this ordeal. Has anyone looked at, or better yet have pictures of, the Limited's OEM setup? I'm not just talking about the bulbs, but the location of the ballasts, wire looms, clips, etc? I am very interested in putting the HID's in my 2013, but I like to keep things as close to the factory setup as possible in case the warranty police come running. I have duplicated factory setups in my truck and you 100% couldn't tell the difference from the factory setup until you see my receipts.

If anyone has a Limited with HID's it would be great to get some detailed photos of the setup. Perhaps we could duplicate it with an aftermarket kit and some inexpensive parts. I know I don't have many posts, but I've been lurking around and reading since early 2013.

Curt

So now I'm curious. I went to the online Ford parts fiche and started looking at the differences between the headlights. See the photo below. I can't claim to have seen the OEM bulb or ballast, but the headlight part numbers are the same (obviously) and all equipment was the same. The only parts needed besides the ballast and bulb would be (HS1 & HS2 (screws), 13A006B (cable bulb to ballast) and 13N019 (bulb retainer)). These parts would cost about $80 if bought at the dealer. I may pick these up and an aftermarket HID kit and see how close I can get this. It looks like I'd have to modify the factory cable possibly. The main issue would be the bulb I believe.

HEADLIGHTS_zps749c299f.jpg

So now I'm curious. I went to the online Ford parts fiche and started looking at the differences between the headlights. See the photo below. I can't claim to have seen the OEM bulb or ballast, but the headlight part numbers are the same (obviously) and all equipment was the same. The only parts needed besides the ballast and bulb would be (HS1 & HS2 (screws), 13A006B (cable bulb to ballast) and 13N019 (bulb retainer)). These parts would cost about $80 if bought at the dealer. I may pick these up and an aftermarket HID kit and see how close I can get this. It looks like I'd have to modify the factory cable possibly. The main issue would be the bulb I believe.
Just to let you know that Ford has some identical part numbers for parts that are not exactly the same. A couple of years ago a member had the front air deflector replaced. The replacement had the opening for the air intake which the OEM deflector didn't have. When that was pointed out to the dealer, he checked and saw that the one without the opening, the one that should have been ordered, had the same part number. The correct deflector was then ordered.

Peter

Just to let you know that Ford has some identical part numbers for parts that are not exactly the same. A couple of years ago a member had the front air deflector replaced. The replacement had the opening for the air intake which the OEM deflector didn't have. When that was pointed out to the dealer, he checked and saw that the one without the opening, the one that should have been ordered, had the same part number. The correct deflector was then ordered.

Peter

I am familiar with the part number issue. After some more digging, I tracked down the exact duplicate for the factory bulb (A Phillips HID) for $35/bulb. The ballasts are also available, but seem to be a bit more pricey. I plan to pull my headlight assembly off of my Sport and see if there is a place to mount the ballast underneath. I still need to look at the connector that powers the ballast. That might be an issue. So far it seems that a factory setup can be purchased for a relatively affordable price and it may not require any aftermarket parts, just OEM replacement parts.

My dealer said they can install the OEM HID lights but the cost was going to be around $800 for parts and labor.
I'm sure it would be cheaper for US folks. One thing in Canada is we pay on average 70% to double for OEM automotive parts at dealers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing I am unsure of at this point is the connector to the ballast(s). I don't know if they are using the same connector. I'm going to go to a local dealer and test drive a limited with HID's so I get a closer look. All together, I can do the factory HID install for about $275, probably a little less.

Back