• Register Today It's free!

Hood painting advice

MrPlat

Reaction score
City, State
Mills River, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
I had the hood replaced under warranty recently. The new hood is in bad shape with zits, paint drips, and areas missing clear coat. Should I push for a new hood entirely, or can these things be repaired without shortening the lifetime of the paint? I just don't want this to peel off in 5 years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like they did a crappy job painting the hood. I would make them repaint it. What did you have it replaced under warranty for?

Sounds like they did a crappy job painting the hood. I would make them repaint it. What did you have it replaced under warranty for?
They've offered to "make it right." My concern is that they'll just strip down the bad spots and repaint. I wasn't sure if there are any drawbacks to this vs painting a brand new one.

It was replaced due to the paint bubbling and flaking like the other very large thread on the forum.

I guess you haven't seen this thread.

Peter

I guess you haven't seen this thread.

Peter

I haven't seen that thread yet but I just had my 2016 XLT hood replaced for the reason.

They've offered to "make it right." My concern is that they'll just strip down the bad spots and repaint. I wasn't sure if there are any drawbacks to this vs painting a brand new one.

It was replaced due to the paint bubbling and flaking like the other very large thread on the forum.

If they were to repaint it properly the entire hood would be stripped down and repainted, not just spots. That would look like ****. I am not sure if stripping down these hoods is a good idea either because when I just got mine done at the dealer I was thinking they would just repaint it but they said it is better to replace the entire hood.

I just got my 2019 Sport back from my dealer after the hood replacement. Other than taking 6 weeks to get the hood, it was very smooth. Looks great. Hope it lasts!

So I had a chat with the manager at the body shop. He said he's going to have to sand it down completely and start over. Upon closer inspection the paint wasn't the right shade. Also, on the underside he found a spot that looked like it wasn't prepped properly. When they sand it down they're going to see if it's just bad paint or a contamination. If it doesn't look good they're going to order a new hood again. They're also going to put me in a rental this time. He also mentioned that their shop carries a 10 year warranty on any paint work, so even outside of the Ford warranty I'll be covered if it starts to flake away.

The following was taken from post #1269 in the Hood Bubbling thread. "The correction for the hood corrosion and probably other panels but hood for now. The correction if corrosion is found. Is to send a entirely new hood from the factory with the corrosion preventative coating applied and ready to prime and paint."
I hope that the sanding it down doesn't remove the preventative coating that was applied. If it does, then you'll likely be back to square one in the near future. Does the 10 paint work warranty apply when it isn't the paint that is the problem? What will they do about the corrosion? I think I'd want a new hood if it were me.

Peter

Back