Hood Scoop From Explorer Express! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Scoop From Explorer Express!

it looks great from the front. it doesnt really look like it belongs up close. but it fits. mine had paint missing from the right front part of the scoop, they are sending me a new one.
i still think its worth getting. but its probably not for everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anything ever happen with a group buy on this?

Now, I may be biased, but... I think the one on mine looks great from a distance and close up...

DSC02634.jpg

DSC01949.jpg

Mine is a cowl type scoop. Doesnt fit perfect, but only I can tell that.

194666_34_full.jpg

194666_36_full.jpg

194666_35_full.jpg

194666_33_full.jpg

Yea, I bid on that scoop too. But just to see what it would look like on my truck. I am happy that everything worked out the way it did in the end. Looks very good through!

Hey Chris,

Have you ever thought about painting your chrome as well? I don't know if that's your thing. I realize that you painted all of the other plastics, but i think it would look sweet completely green! IMO....

Originally posted by explorer4x493
Hey Chris,

Have you ever thought about painting your chrome as well? I don't know if that's your thing. I realize that you painted all of the other plastics, but i think it would look sweet completely green! IMO....
I've thought about it and I had someone photochop it for me and it just didnt look right.

If I wanted to make one of these functional, i was wondering if they had that protective honeycomb like screen?

Explorer Express

I Live in Alberta Canada, and I was wondering about getting a mustang style hood scope for my 01 Explorer Sport from Explorer Express. Is this possible??

Primed would be fine and I'd get it painted here.

let me know.

Also I wanted the SS Speed Grill inserts, any ideas on how I can get them here

We can ship the hood scoop to Canada, no problem. All we have to do is is write "made in USA " on the box and the duties paid in Canada will be less. The shipping cost to Canada will be $25-30 (UPS ground) The package weighs 11lbs. The duties will be paid on your end when you pick up the part. Call me for a special Canada price. 510-237-9645.

Making this hood scoop function would be possible, but not easy. The screen that comes with hood scoop is actualy a solid piece of plastic with a mesh looking pattern. The other problem is the X-shaped bracing that is under the hood. You could put a few small holes that would allow air to come in, but it would not be possible to put one large hole under there.

Thanks John I want one...I'll call Thursday

John would that mustang style one fit a first gen, and is that almost the same as blackmagic's?

Yes that one is like Black Magics.

It does fit on a gen 1 as is if you slide it all the way back. If you notch out the the back of the scope for the body line you could move it forward.

Attachments

• hood scoop 91-94.jpg
    hood scoop 91-94.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 889

EE Hood scoop installed today

I installed the EE hood scoop today and im not too happy with the install direction. The template that is given do not match up with the hood scoop pre-drilled holes. I could only match up two holes, so that is what is holding it down. But i have 4 other holes in my hood now. I just put som of the tape over it and pray that it dont leak no time soon. Overall i love the look of the hood scoop. I think every explorer should have one, but the direction to bolt it down is shady. Make sure you place the template on the hood scoop itself and match the holes up before you end up with 6 un-matched hole in your hood.
ohh another thing: But the scoop pre-painted by EE, its worth the extra money. trying to paint that thing yourself is not cool. (Lesson learned)

i was looking into this scoop myslef, but there arent enough 1st gen pics to satisfy me as a customer. And also if possible i would like to see a write up on how easy/hard the installation is. Any one with pictures, feel free to post.

thanks

If you attempted to make it functional by drilling a few smaller holes (so as not to mess with any brace pieces) so as to let some air into the engine bay would it really help cool your engine off? Even if just a little bit? I had an old crap car that overheated all the time so now I have this kind of weird fixation with nice, normal temperature engines....

riverst said:
I installed the EE hood scoop today and im not too happy with the install direction. The template that is given do not match up with the hood scoop pre-drilled holes.
I also found that to be the case. Luckily I measured twice before drilling. I ended up putting the scoop on its top, tapeing the template over the bottom of it, and pushing screws through the template where the pilot holes really were. To be a little different, and in my mind, more functional I put my scoop on backwards, and made it a functional cowl.

Attachments

• SANY0001.jpg
    SANY0001.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 841
  • SANY0003.jpg
    SANY0003.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 879

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I got luckier than yall. When I had mentioned that I had one and was going to put it on, spindlecone wrote me and gave me the much needed correct installation instructions. So mine was a wiz to install correctly. Once again, thanks Bill. Even though I hated to drill holes in my hood, I know that baby is on there right and no one is going to walk off with it.

Back