HOW did my 2013 Lock me out while running? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HOW did my 2013 Lock me out while running?

Readmeli

Reaction score
City, State
Rhinelander, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
A crazy thing happened and I want to know why. Anybody know?

I was going in from my passenger door from the outside to start my Ex up (like I always do). When I was reaching in I had things in my hand along with my keys, and I thought I had accidentally pushed the emergency button on my keyfob, because the horn started going, but quickly stopped. So I shrugged, turned the Ex on, tossed in my purse, shut the door and went to do a few things while it heated up.

THEN when I went to get in it - ALL THE DOORS WERE LOCKED. I didnt think that was even possible, and thus, my spare key is IN my car because I use it to leave it running on occasion when my dog is in the car or it is very cold.

I do have a keypad on the driver side, but I can only get it to work about 1 out of 200 tries..... So about 200 tries later I managed to get in....

But what the heck went on here? Thoughts? Thanks :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even with the car running, the fob can still lock your doors. Chances are when you tossed in your purse, the lock button go pressed

Hmm. I've never been able to do that - if I push the "lock" button on the fob or the car while I'm in it and attempt to leave with it running, the doors unlock. So trying to understand what happened this time.

Like mentioned above, you can lock your running Explorer from the outside with a key fob or the keypad. Your original post said your spare key was inside the vehicle...where was one of your main fobs while this occured?

It was in the ignition the spare was sitting in the car glovebox

As I see it, the doors shouldn't have locked. Also, why did the horn go off momentarily?:dunno:

Peter

I thought you had said the spare was in your purse that you tossed in. Oops.

But what the heck went on here? Thoughts? Thanks :)

My guess: since you stated that you thought accidentally pushed the emergency button on the key fob due to the horn coming on, you had actually pressed the "Lock button", twice, and since you had the passenger door open the horn chirped twice because a door was open (the passenger door as you were reaching in through it). In this case the doors will lock, and after closing the passenger door with the engine running the doors will remain locked.

Now if it were the driver door you were trying to access through, the locks would have automatically unlocked as part of the "Smart Unlock" feature to prevent accidentally locking yourself out.

My suggestion is to get a spare key made that ISN’T stored in the car.

My guess: since you stated that you thought accidentally pushed the emergency button on the key fob due to the horn coming on, you had actually pressed the "Lock button", twice, and since you had the passenger door open the horn chirped twice because a door was open (the passenger door as you were reaching in through it). In this case the doors will lock, and after closing the passenger door with the engine running the doors will remain locked.

Now if it were the driver door you were trying to access through, the locks would have automatically unlocked as part of the "Smart Unlock" feature to prevent accidentally locking yourself out.

Thank you!! I did not know about that feature!!!!!!

For that purpose, you can just get a steel one made that will only unlock the door. $10 or less, instead of $100. Or you can get one with a chip, but no buttons, that will unlock the door and start the engine. That's what I use when my dogs are in the car. I keep it attached to my keychain with a quick release, and take the keyfob with me. That lets me lock the doors with it running, once the door is shut.

Thank you!! I did not know about that feature!!!!!!
So to avoid all this again, why not use the driver's door to access the vehicle or get a remote start?

Peter

So to avoid all this again, why not use the driver's door to access the vehicle or get a remote start?

Peter
Well, it hasn’t happened in six years, LOL, and I definitely won’t let it happen again!

The drivers door is in th other side and harder to access to just start the car to warm it up.

Well, it hasn’t happened in six years, LOL, and I definitely won’t let it happen again!

The drivers door is in th other side and harder to access to just start the car to warm it up.

Harder to access the driver’s door...as in you have to walk around the vehicle to the other side?

Can't you change the way it's parked so the driver's door is closer?

Peter

Harder to access the driver’s door...as in you have to walk around the vehicle to the other side?

Yep! Plus get dirty because it is winter and my car is full of salt and sand and the garage, overall, is a tight fit, but plenty of room down the middle which is the passenger side.

Thanks all for finding out why it did this. Not a feature I knew about, so am glad to know about it now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a suggestion, open the windows half way after starting the engine so you would always have access to reach in and open the door. I make it a habbit when leaving an engine on if it is a car I don't have easy access to another key to. Also, you might benefit a lot from adding remote start, they are relatively inexpensive for the late model Ford's, there are even cheaper aftermarket modules that don't even require you to change your stock keys.

Back