How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX? | Page 41 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Post number 869 has been selected as best answered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How long have you had it? I can’t imagine a 21 year old explorer on factory ball joints
My uppers are stock. I have new boots and packed them with grease. No play, they stay!

I have a 1995 4x4 4.0 OHV with 324k on the stock motor and tranny. Trans is just starting to slip in reverse and not go into the next gear while in drive. Motor still runs like a top. no blow by, never burned oil, no major engine work. Grandparents bought it new in '95 and drove it forever, and it then went to my mom who drove it hard, and now me. Planning on replacing the trans and all suspension as well as changing differential and t-case fluids. Already changed the transmission fluid, and switched it to full synthetic motor oil. Changed the power steering fluid and emptied both front and rear washer reservoirs and refilled them. Also planing on replacing Spark plugs, wires, and ignition coil.

My odometer failed/froze and the mileage is stuck at 279,500. Even the trip odometer will not work. I estimate it actually about 283,x.., which is all on the original motor.

The explorer is now sitting on the street awaiting a tow truck to take it to the graveyard in the sky. I donated it to charity this week. It misfires on two cylinders, transmission clunks, steers/pulls to the right, small crack in the windshield, power windows are failing, and tires are due. Facing an engine rebuild and host of costly maintenance issues, and the cost of gas flirting with $4/gal again, it was an easy(ish) decision to let it go.

My odometer failed/froze and the mileage is stuck at 279,500. Even the trip odometer will not work. I estimate it actually about 283,x.., which is all on the original motor.

The explorer is now sitting on the street awaiting a tow truck to take it to the graveyard in the sky. I donated it to charity this week. It misfires on two cylinders, transmission clunks, steers/pulls to the right, small crack in the windshield, power windows are failing, and tires are due. Facing an engine rebuild and host of costly maintenance issues, and the cost of gas flirting with $4/gal again, it was an easy(ish) decision to let it go.

That's kind of depressing. :(

More points added. woo hoo!

003.JPG

212,x.. and going strong.

I don't think mileage means as much as how well taken care of a vehicle is. Just my opinion.
And a perfect opinion it is. Maintenance is everything

I just got out of a fleet maintained 2007 Explorer with 212,000 miles and it was great! I'm in a 79,000 mile F150 4x4 now but I find myself missing that Explorer.

Turned to 280,000 on my way home from Utah. Up and down at least four 10,000 foot mountain passes on my trip. I'm kind of thinking while it's still a good vehicle, maybe it is getting too old and high miles for my hard road trips.

42133563_1129204063902439_4609895609770442752_o.jpg

Garage kept Florida vehicle, orig. paint, never in an accident, NO rust whatsoever! Rebuilt front suspension,tires, new a/c compressor and evap., radiator, new carpet, new cruise control buttons, just regular maintenance, is going to need a rear main oil seal, and front pump oil seal soon, and a new fuel pump.

X2. We had a 99 Explorer Sport that we sold a few years ago that we purchased new & I did regular maintenance on & when we sold it the odometer read 275K.

How long have you had it? I can’t imagine a 21 year old explorer on factory ball joints
Can't say anything about 21 years, but my '98 (20 years and 4 months, to be exact) with 173,000 miles is still on all original four ball joints, and they are just fine. The original radiator, however, just started leaking...

I guess that’s one benefit of owning something since it was new, you actually know it’s history. I’m sure yours is an exception, however.

Our 98' 5.0AWD Limited now has 232k on it. Runs likes a top, doesn't leak any oil, doesn't smoke and still knocks down 18mpg average. Had to do shocks and brakes this summer. Also cleaned the TB, egr valve and IAC this summer.

Amazing vehicle, plan on driving it another 3-4 years. Hope to get 300k plus out of it.

My 2000 limited is only at 92,000 and change. Going to get another 150,000 miles out of her.

I have a 1995 4x4 4.0 OHV with 324k on the stock motor and tranny. Trans is just starting to slip in reverse and not go into the next gear while in drive. Motor still runs like a top. no blow by, never burned oil, no major engine work. Grandparents bought it new in '95 and drove it forever, and it then went to my mom who drove it hard, and now me. Planning on replacing the trans and all suspension as well as changing differential and t-case fluids. Already changed the transmission fluid, and switched it to full synthetic motor oil. Changed the power steering fluid and emptied both front and rear washer reservoirs and refilled them. Also planing on replacing Spark plugs, wires, and ignition coil.
Wow Braden Tuman that is great news; Hope my 96 XLT 4x4 OHV 4.0L goes that far, everything still original on it, keep the maintenance up on it very well, and at 183,400 miles I guess it is just getting broke in------HAHAHA

Just turned 170k on my 98 5.0 AWD mounty , had 190+ on my old one . Gave it to my step daughter and a trans line rusted out. She drove it until it burned up but the motor was still good and everything else worked. Love those 5.0s

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

99 5.0 AWD XLT- Just turned 249K. Original owner. Original engine and transmission. No major repairs. 3 alternators. 1 radiator. 1 water pump. 1 fan. 1 rusted brake line. 3 exhaust systems. 1 front differential seal. 2 Front CV joints. 2 sets front control arms. 2 transmission fluid flushes.1 a/c compressor. Normal maintenance items; plugs, wires, coil packs. 1 Door handle, overhead display. I do have a minor oil leak, (1 Qt every month)

Back