How many miles without having to rebuild engine, tranny, transfer ca | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles without having to rebuild engine, tranny, transfer ca

sehaare

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98XLT 4WD SOHC,94XLT gone
98 XLT SOHC 4WD 4Dr

While I was away for work recently the rear differential failed at 140K miles (even though I had followed the severe service maintenance schedule and use syth fluids and modifier for the limited slip). Since my daughter needed it to go to school I had to pay someone else to do the work. While they had it I paid them to fix a few more things that I hadn't had time to get around to. So I ended up putting more money into the XLT than it is worth.

Since then I've decided that it only makes sense to keep it and I've been working my way around it trying to make it bullet proof (new tires, new front suspension, soon to be new 02 sensors, chipped away frame/undercarriage rust and under coated with this: http://www.jegs.com/i/Eastwood/352/13651Z/10002/-1

I don't have the expertise to rebuild the engine, tranny or transfer case, so I was wondering:

How many miles do you have without having to rebuild the big 3?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you haven't yet, you'll probably be looking at the timing chain assemblies soon on yours. That is one thing I like about the ohv engines. I don't have quite the hp that the sohc does, but I've got almost 400,000 miles on my 94 right now with no rebuild, and it's still going strong! As long as you change the oil regularly, they last a loooooooong time!

If you haven't yet, you'll probably be looking at the timing chain assemblies soon on yours. That is one thing I like about the ohv engines. I don't have quite the hp that the sohc does, but I've got almost 400,000 miles on my 94 right now with no rebuild, and it's still going strong! As long as you change the oil regularly, they last a loooooooong time!

I'm actually going to luck out a bit on the timing chain. The 98 was the first year for the SOHC and they screwed up the design for the cassettes/tensioners. The design changed (I believe two times) after they were built and ford had a bulletin out to replace them for free if they were noisy. I had mine replaced (I think twice) for free. I can only find one date/Milage for having it done and that was at 41454 miles back in Jan of 00. So mine has 41K miles less on them (maybe even less if the second change was do later). Which since this is not going to be a daily driver

Also, it helps prolong the life of all engine internals if you let it run for a couple of minutes before driving anywhere. That's what I have always done, and it's worked well for me on all the vehicles I've ever owned. I actually installed a remote start on a few of my vehicles so that I can hit the button in the house while I'm getting ready, and it's warmed up and ready to go by the time I get out the door!

'98 SOHC 4x4 with 199, 974 miles as of today.

Engine rebuild - none.
Transfer case rebuild - none.
Rear end rebuild - none.
Tranny rebuild @ 192,000 +/-

I take meticulous care of everything, and I've had a bit of luck. I have found timing cassette/guide plastic parts in my oil pan, but have very little chain rattle. I really have no complaints overall.

260,000 miles here. 2000 4WD 6cyl OHV

Only unusual repair for me is replacing solenoid D in the trans. Real easy repair too and the vehicle told me which solenoid to replace.

Otherwise original engine, trans, diff, power steering, etc...

I have changed the front wheel hubs (due to ABS sensors), shocks, upper/lower ball joints, tie rod ends, alternator, starter, and fix the blend door issue. Have had issues with overheating and cylinder 3 fouling spark plugs.

Our last 99 Sport w/4.0 SOHC we sold at 275K mi & the people we sold it to ran it another year before they sold it & last I heard it was still running. We never opened up the engine, replaced the trans w/a used one @ about 175K mi, & replaced the rear w/a used one @ about 200K mi.

Our last 99 Sport w/4.0 SOHC we sold at 275K mi & the people we sold it to ran it another year before they sold it & last I heard it was still running. We never opened up the engine, replaced the trans w/a used one @ about 175K mi, & replaced the rear w/a used one @ about 200K mi.

Thanks Mike.

I've been pretty **** with tranny flushing it every 40K miles and changing the filter once. But I also was meticulous with the rear end and had to have it rebuilt at about 140K still haven't figured that one out. Good to hear about the engine.

I hope I'm not going to jinx myself with this post. My '98 XLT with the SOHC has 188,300 with no major repairs, my '98 OHV Sport has over 196,000 and as far as I know has an all original drivetrain with no rebuilds.

1996 with the 4.0L V6 175k miles

about 170k had the transmission rebuilt
motor still going strong
rear end still going strong

You know, there's no one answer to your question. A gently driven, well maintained vehicle will typically go a lot further than one that's been neglected and abused. Sometimes the original manufacturing tolerances work in your favor and sometimes they work against you. Some identical vehicles can exceed 400,000 miles while others barely make it past 100,000. A used vehicle that's had 3-4 owners and has no service history... who knows?

The SOHC 4.0L engine (with original timing chain components) are pretty much ticking time bombs and the v6 transmissions tend not to last as long as the v8 transmissions, yet some report going over 250k on the original drivetrain components.

Back