How many people own or have owned an Aerostar? | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many people own or have owned an Aerostar?

Third owner of a 91' Aerostar E-4WD from Colorado. 332,000 miles on it, virtually rust-free. It had taken a few hits before I got it, so there will be bodywork in it's future, but for now I'm just getting to know it. This forum has already helped me solve some of its problems, and I know I'll be here a lot.

Welcome! It's almost broke in!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all. I'm from Russia.
Own a Ford Aerostar. Always interested in new and old :) information about this car. Nice to meet you.Photo of my car you can see it
here

were aerostars sold in russia?

were aerostars sold in russia?
Not sold Aerostar in Russia, they were imported from Europe and U. S. A. sailors and just anyone wishing to have this car.
My Aerostar was until 1994 in Jacksonville, Florida, then imported to Finland and then came to Russia. I asked for the CARFAX report.

Just got my first, and found this forum. It's an 88, it's got 165k on it. Payed 600 it's not pretty but it drives solid. Waterpump immediately went bad, I'm pretty sure it's the original. Replacement cost me 30 bucks new, and is getting me to wrench and do a lot of fhe things one should do to an old car.... I like how it goes down the highway just fine, and it's actually got me a bit psyched on more wrenching,

Welcome to this forum! You found a good deal for the pump. I paid twice as much when I replaced mine. It's a good idea to replace the timing chain when you change the pump since it has high mileage, and the pump would have to be removed a second time to get to the pump. Check the condition of the fan clutch too.

My mom picked up her aerostar yesterday, and it is a 93 Eddie, with what's called "Electronic 4X4" that what it says on both fenders and I believe its like the Control Trac, it only kicks in when a wheel spins, because it don't have a selector for the 4X4.

I have a '95 with the electronic four wheel drive, It is full time all wheel drive with 30% of the engines power going to the front wheels and 70% going to the rear wheels.
It is controlled by a microprocessor that is mounted under the driver's front seat.
I disconnected it many years ago because fuel economy was horrible, now it gets 19 mpg, before that I was lucky if it got 13 mpg going downhill.

I have a white 1988 Aerostar. Interesting vehicle but has a major transmission leak and now it's sitting on the side of the road not running. Trying to get it going again. Turns over but won't start.

I still own the 1995 Aerostar XLT Extended we purchased new in 1996. In fact, doing a water pump later this week. Only remaining issue is a slight intake gasket leak. Have to change the rear passenger side plug every couple years. Otherwise, it's my kayak, personal pontoon, lumber and sheet goods plus to the dump hauler. Will really miss it when it finally dies. Many thanks to this forum for their great repair tutorials and members for quick answers.

We had two, an ‘87 (gray) and a ‘94 (dark green), both purchased new with 3.0’s and 5 speed sticks. I ordered the '87 with Traction-Lok, the '94 was on a dealer's lot in Detroit.

Great road trip vehicles with our 3 young children. I made up a wood platform to take the place of the middle seat, height with a foam mattress was the same as the bottom cushion of the rear seat. Rendering the area behind the front seats a big bed, with storage underneath.

The '87 had defective head bolts, never could keep coolant in it. The '94 died in Florida on a road trip, fried the ECM, wasn't worth fixing a thousand miles from home.

Rocker area body rust was a problem with both of them.

Well, since I have been scanning old pictures to digital lately, I ran across these.

"Big Sal" doing work at Jenny Lake Campground , Teton national park Wyoming.

img523.jpg
wo
img525.jpg

Horsethief lake South Dakota

img526.jpg

About 23 years ago I went to work for a company that gave me a white 94 Aerostar 3.0 as a work truck. When they retired it to give me a E150 van I bought it from them, now has 139,000 miles. If anything breaks I just keep fixing it as I love the form factor, and it runs great. Was slow as a work truck loaded to the gills, unloaded with even the racks removed it goes great. It was stupid for them to stop making them, in my view, just like discontinuing the Ranger.

From reading various posts over the years, it seems that a lot of people either own, have owned, or know somebody that owns an Aerostar. A lot of people use them for parts to repair their Ranger, Explorer, etc. I have an 88, 89, 93, 95, and 96. What does everybody else have?
1994 bought 2014

Welcome! It's almost broke in!
I guess I'm lucky, got my work truck sold to me by the leasing company for 1125 $ with 80K on it. Now I have 137K miles. Love the form factor and the the analog controls. Just remember to keep those front disk brake pins well lubed. :)

I guess I'm lucky, got my work truck sold to me by the leasing company for 1125 $ with 80K on it. Now I have 137K miles. Love the form factor and the the analog controls. Just remember to keep those front disk brake pins well lubed. :)
I saved mine ('ol red) from the crusher. I bought it for $100 and unloaded the old dryers and stoves out of it as it was literally an hour from being loaded onto a trailer to go to the scrapyard. New brakes, new springs, shocks and tires and it was on the road. The A4LD decided overdrive just wasn't it's thing anymore, so I installed a 5 speed behind the 4.0 and have used the van quite a bit. These are great vans. It's quite fun to drive with the manual trans. We had a 91 growing up that my dad bought new. I wish we still had it. It fell victim to collision years ago.

1697.jpg

Never had my own, but my dad bought an XLT extended AWD, red over silver Aerostar brand new the week after I got my driver's license in August 1996. It was the nicest and fastest car in the family, I did everything I could to get to borrow it. I Took high school girlfriends on dates and used it to move up to college. I found the speed limiter right away, my first adventure on the PA turnpike. I took the van mudding in a golf course that was under construction, that AWD was unstoppable. Unfortunately, at 5 years and 75,000 miles, it was rear ended by an F-350 hard enough to bend the frame and insurance totaled it. Glad I got to experience this beast when I had the chance.

Picked up my 1996 Aerostar AWD Ext last May for next to nothing as in nothing, 3rd owner (1st owner was a college fleet) , had 87,000 miles on the clock and was mostly in a campus garage structure. So far have replaced the intake manifold gasket (Coolant leak), Air filter, fuel filter, Two oil changes with filters, Refreshed the power steering fluid(Looked like Chocolate milk) due to the windshield vent drain missing. Changed both front shocks and right front axle along with front brakes. Replaced OEM doughnut spare tire that was still holding air but had multiple splits on the sidewalls with a full size tire on trim it took forever to find. Windshield and both rear brake light housings plus serpentine belt and radiator fan with clutch, both headlight bulbs from 1995, they still worked bu were dim, rewired 3rd break light housing to LED. Will do rear differential and transfer cases oil changes in spring.

Other than some fairly minor dents and dings it runs great as an everyday commuting vehicle gas mileage averages 17 MPG with both highway and local driving. New tires next may are in the works and I am very happy with it so far regardless of its "PUG SHUTTLE" appearance. I believe I have read every post on this thread and have learned a great deal which helped me do many of the repairs myself. There is a great deal of knowledge here and I appreciate it.

Still driving my '94, was my work truck. Got it from the leasing company for peanuts 1500$ total no smog, tax just new registration,and pink slip, 1999 or 2000 I think. Leasing companies get away with a lot here. Just looked at the miles 127,881.1 Thought it was underpowered loaded up with the racks and parts, tools but with all that removed the 3L V6 goes great. Hopeing for at least another 10-15 years, aferwhich I'll probably not be driving anymore...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Picked up my 1996 Aerostar AWD Ext last May for next to nothing as in nothing, 3rd owner (1st owner was a college fleet) , had 87,000 miles on the clock and was mostly in a campus garage structure. So far have replaced the intake manifold gasket (Coolant leak), Air filter, fuel filter, Two oil changes with filters, Refreshed the power steering fluid(Looked like Chocolate milk) due to the windshield vent drain missing. Changed both front shocks and right front axle along with front brakes. Replaced OEM doughnut spare tire that was still holding air but had multiple splits on the sidewalls with a full size tire on trim it took forever to find. Windshield and both rear brake light housings plus serpentine belt and radiator fan with clutch, both headlight bulbs from 1995, they still worked bu were dim, rewired 3rd break light housing to LED. Will do rear differential and transfer cases oil changes in spring.

Other than some fairly minor dents and dings it runs great as an everyday commuting vehicle gas mileage averages 17 MPG with both highway and local driving. New tires next may are in the works and I am very happy with it so far regardless of its "PUG SHUTTLE" appearance. I believe I have read every post on this thread and have learned a great deal which helped me do many of the repairs myself. There is a great deal of knowledge here and I appreciate it.

Back