How much paint? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much paint?

For the paint experts:

About how much paint do you think would it take to cover this van:

van_01.jpg

Its an E-350 Club Wagon (15 passenger). I'm not aiming for show-room quality. I just want to cover it with something other than fleet-white. I'm aiming to spray it with gunmetal gray so thats why I'm asking how much I need. I was told that a gallon should be enough to cover it once.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be a sweet van to have. What do you plan to use it for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be a sweet van to have. What do you plan to use it for?
Its going to be used to take my friends and myself to the slopes. And also to tow my Explorer to the trails.

LOl thats a good one Dannyboy

Its going to be used to take my friends and myself to the slopes. And also to tow my Explorer to the trails.

Sweet. I hope you have a lot of friends. lol

Iz some of these people have some good points. I mean what would you do with such a big van?

Got any speakers for sale? :p:

Iz some of these people have some good points. I mean what would you do with such a big van?
OMFG - I told you guys, snowboarding and freaking towing my Explorer to the trail. LOL I'm about to go Postal on you guys. Postal.. as in send you things.. like christmas presents.. via the United States Postal Service. My friends and I go snowboarding from 4 to 6 days so we have a lot of crap with us .. about 7 to 10 snowboards, and everyone's luggage.

Got any speakers for sale? :p:
Sorry m8, the speakers that came with the van are junk -- its a prison van. Prisoners dont need no stinking music.

OMFG - I told you guys, snowboarding and freaking towing my Explorer to the trail. LOL I'm about to go Postal on you guys. Postal.. as in send you things.. like christmas presents.. via the United States Postal Service. My friends and I go snowboarding from 4 to 6 days so we have a lot of crap with us .. about 7 to 10 snowboards, and everyone's luggage.

Sorry m8, the speakers that came with the van are junk -- its a prison van. Prisoners dont need no stinking music.

I think you missed the point....:rolleyes: I know why you bought the van...it's to pull the flat bed with the explorer on it.;)

You ever seen those guys selling speakers out of their van for really cheap.:D

really cheap speakers = really cheap prices or so you would think! They want like $450 for a pair with 12" woofers, they are worth about $50 ea, I friggin hate those guys.
Some of them actually get MAD at me when I say not interested, or I have good speakers at home, Like I owe it to them to check out their crappy speakers they sell from a white van...

I have been approached by them about 8 times over the last 10 years, usually at the car wash. They use stupid lines like, "hey buddy we just got done installing a stereo at the local bar and we got these 4 speakers left over, if we show up back at work with them my boss is gonna kill me so I need to sell them cheap"

I never fell for that crap, not even when I was 18 and really wanted some cheap speakers

IYou ever seen those guys selling speakers out of their van for really cheap.:D
LOL I havent seen them myself. But I do have a friend that got suckered into buying a pair of speakers from some1 in a supermarket parking lot :confused:

i've painted a few things. my explorer 4door, xlt took about 3/4 of a gallon. so i would say about 1 1/2 gallons and you'd be set. A place that i go sells Nason brand paint, which is DuPonts offbrand paint, and costs about $300 a gallon for base and clear with all reducers, gun cleaner, prep all, etc. I really like that stuff.

Flat black kicks ass!! :p:

Or the same green as the wheels on your Explorer.

van_11.jpg

I actually like this one. But make sure you put the prison grates back up on the windows:D As for the amount of paint, it depends on wether you are using a HVLP gun or not. It you are I would say about a gallon for color and a gallon and a half to 2 gallons for clear. I usually use about 2 quarts to spray a car or Explorer inside and out. I use mostly Nason brand paint (Dupont's "lower" line). $100 a gallon for clear, and base coat varys greatly. The white I used for my explorer was $31 a quart, but the burnt orange color was $66 a quart.

Steve S.

Back