How to get the most aggressive look. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to get the most aggressive look.

I drive a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport and I was wondering what the most aggressive look I could obtain was. I wanted to go with black rims and tires with a tough look to them, this would strictly be for visual effect and no off-road driving. I think I will also be doing a 2-inch TT with rear shackles and a 2-inch body lift. I live in Mass so the legal lift limit is 2-inch, but I can get away with the TT and shackles. I would like some suggestions please, hopefully with pictures, I am a very visual person.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just got wheels with very little backspacing, to make the tires stick out farther. it gives it an aggressive wider stance, and looks really good from front or back, plus i think it handles better too.

lights2.jpg

i just got wheels with very little backspacing, to make the tires stick out farther. it gives it an aggressive wider stance, and looks really good from front or back, plus i think it handles better too.

Problem is.... that would be illegal in some places. I know, here in NJ, they WILL fail you at inspection if the tire sticks out past the fenders, at all. I've seen them fail cars (a Lexus) that MAYBE stuck out a 1/4 inch! I hate the government as much as the next guy (ok, more), but they'd probably be right on something like the pic above. With that much tire sticking out, you'll be throwing dirt and rocks at everybody behind you, and even off to the side. It's just not safe for the street, unless you put some flares or something to be at least flush with the outside of the tires.

Also, sticking the wheels out futher puts alot more stress on the entire front suspension. (wheel studs, rims, steering components, wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, steering rack/box,etc....) If you want the look of a wider stance, than use wider wheels, with the correct backspacing.
Think about.... Try to hold a 5lb weight, close to your body. Now, hold that same weight out at arms length. Alot harder, no?

didnt think about the inspection.... since we dont have to deal with that here in mt, so it never really comes to mind.
i wouldnt say its unsafe at all. the only time it throws anything off the side is in deep mud or really loose dirt, which isnt encountered on everyday use on the road. plus the front of the first gens are wider stock so from the rear wheels, not much more gets thrown out than stock.
think about how much more dirt a truck lifted 2 inches kicks up, way more than 1/2 wider wheel, and its not illegal to lift you truck.
and for off road driving, it handles much better, feels much more solid, and performs far better in snot which is a must in montana.

wider wheels would achieve the same look also though.
he asked for a easy way to get an aggressive look, and a wider stance (whatever way you get to it, spacers, backspacing, or wider wheels) is a really quick and easy way to do that.

I drive a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport and I was wondering what the most aggressive look I could obtain was. I wanted to go with black rims and tires with a tough look to them, this would strictly be for visual effect and no off-road driving. I think I will also be doing a 2-inch TT with rear shackles and a 2-inch body lift. I live in Mass so the legal lift limit is 2-inch, but I can get away with the TT and shackles. I would like some suggestions please, hopefully with pictures, I am a very visual person.

Maybe a turret with twin 50's and a couple of grenade launchers?

Sounds like you want to go poser status...just build it real and it will come. Trying to make your ride look like something it is not is going to cost lots and get you nothing. JSFA! :)

Maybe a turret with twin 50's and a couple of grenade launchers?

Sounds like you want to go poser status...just build it real and it will come. Trying to make your ride look like something it is not is going to cost lots and get you nothing. JSFA! :)
Now THAT was funny!
Hmmm a true to life Hummer with a 50 cal on a remote joystick run in the front wouldn't attract ANY attention - until it gets pointed to that idiot tailgating your back end!

Back