How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

I know it's 2009, but i'm just getting around to replacing one of my hub/wheel bearing assemblies. You rock man!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been away for a while. Was quoted $1360.00 for 1 Hub by ford Parts here in OZ. Shipped one from the USA AUD$148.00 so that was a good plan. Now remember my front end rumble. Well I swapped in the new hub. Took about 30 mins thanks to the directions in this forum. However still got the noise. swapped out removed hub with other side...still got the noise...ah remember what I posted about my tyres. Ran my hand over the tread and could feel the height difference between leading and lagging edge of the inside tread. The front end was turning these into flappers. the noise and feel inside the car really felt like a transfer case bearing or uni in the front shaft. swapped the wheels front to back ...NOISE GONE. Glad I didn't buy local hubs and find this out. Got wheel alignment and running tyres at 45PSI for a while to get things totally right

Front passengers hub is shot so I got a replacement from AutoZone and a new nut/washer from Ford.Stopped raining so I ran out and got everything apart and I simply could not get the hub assembly pulled from the knuckle! I beat on it with a rubber mallet, wooden block, regular hammer with much caution and it still will not separate! Yes I removed the brakes, rotor, dust shield and the 3 bolts holding it in.

Any suggestions?

i had to use a 5lb sledge.. i just hit it from the sides and from behind

No, hit it without hitting any machined parts, or yourself. You may be able to get a screwdriver in the crack/seam to pry it apart.

Picked up a 3Lb maul today and after about 15 minutes it slowly started to turn in the knuckle. Another 5 minutes and I was able to finally get the hub out. Over all its a fairly easy replacement. I'm debating over getting the drivers side and replacing that as well so they are both newly replaced.

Edit.. btw thanks for a great write-up!

Thank you from a newbee

I can't say THANK YOU enough. I am new to this website and came here looking for exactly this information. Your thorough explanation of replacing front hub bearings has given me the confidence to do this myself. The pictures are great.

how do you know if the wheel bearings are going bad?:salute:

when you spin the tire by hand, you'll feel some "roughness"
grab the tire at 12 and 6, push/pull, there may be some play.

but the best way is to remove the assy and spin it by hand, off the vehicle. It will have a "dry" feel and sound to it.

I have had a bad bearing or 2 that sounded and felt fine on the truck, and only after removing it could I tell it was bad.

...I had to use a 15mm spanner as my socket wouldnt fit due to the axle housing. ...The hardest nuts to undo were the hub nuts on the steering assembly.

By 'nuts on the steering assy' do you mean the bolts holding the bearing assy to the knuckle?

I think as the bearing starts to go it heats up those three bolts. Mine were horribly siezed up. 1 is soaking over night as the threads are galling pretty bad and I don't want to break the bolt.

We used a puller to push the axle inwards making room for a socket with breaker bar and as big a pipe as would fit! Couldn't have done it without the puller. Oh yeah, and a torch as the bearing assembly was frozen to the knuckle.

Very nice writeup! :thumbsup:

Ticking, not grinding

Thank you to everyone on this post, great information! My '02 explorer has 83K miles on it, so this thread definitely bookmarked.

Question: I recently posted a thread bc I hear a ticking noise in the front end, I think passenger side. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243518
"There is a ticking in the front end, sounds like passenger side, of my stock '02 Explorer 4X4. I thought maybe a U-joint gone bad. However, in the past with my other vehicles, when I engage the 4X4, the U-joint quit ticking. This keeps on ticking. No regularity to it, occurs when braking, accelerating, and at a constant speed, straight and turning too. Any ideas?
I was going to check the U-joint anyway, but it's factory sealed in the black boot, and I am afraid what will happen if I cut the boot off. "

The replies indicated I should check the bearings. But everything in this thread refers to grinding, not ticking. I do not feel or hear any grinding. Still think it's bearings? Or anyone have any other ideas? I just bought a 24ft camper I will be pulling and I really do not want to be stranded on the side of the road with wife and two kids 2 hours away from home. Thanks for any input! You all rock!

Ticking noise

Thank you to everyone on this post, great information! My '02 explorer has 83K miles on it, so this thread definitely bookmarked.

Question: I recently posted a thread bc I hear a ticking noise in the front end, I think passenger side. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243518
"There is a ticking in the front end, sounds like passenger side, of my stock '02 Explorer 4X4. I thought maybe a U-joint gone bad. However, in the past with my other vehicles, when I engage the 4X4, the U-joint quit ticking. This keeps on ticking. No regularity to it, occurs when braking, accelerating, and at a constant speed, straight and turning too. Any ideas?
I was going to check the U-joint anyway, but it's factory sealed in the black boot, and I am afraid what will happen if I cut the boot off. "

The replies indicated I should check the bearings. But everything in this thread refers to grinding, not ticking. I do not feel or hear any grinding. Still think it's bearings? Or anyone have any other ideas? I just bought a 24ft camper I will be pulling and I really do not want to be stranded on the side of the road with wife and two kids 2 hours away from home. Thanks for any input! You all rock!

Hello There ,
Not being funny but want you to eliminate one thing regarding ticking noise, some times any stone get stuck in the tire & make funny noise & caused unnecessary panic !! plz. Check . also check you break caliber/ pad.
Regards

drive on a gravel/dirt road. Still hear it?
as Matie said, it could possibly be a pebble stuck in the tire, "clicking" every time it hits the pavement.

Checked all the tires, several times, now and long ago. Nothing in the tires. Also, the noise was there before I replaced the breaks, and still after. Also had new tires put on about 2 months ago, no difference in the noise. It's not a regular pattern. Mostly when I am under about 20 mph. Sometimes does it, sometimes not. I think it may be posessed!

Checked all the tires, several times, now and long ago. Nothing in the tires. Also, the noise was there before I replaced the breaks, and still after. Also had new tires put on about 2 months ago, no difference in the noise. It's not a regular pattern. Mostly when I am under about 20 mph. Sometimes does it, sometimes not. I think it may be posessed!

I would recommend lifting tire with jack & spin the tire, See if you can detect any thing abnormal / unusual at least narrow it down to the point,

Good luck

do you notice the noise change (whether for better or worse) when making turns?

Okay, a couple of questions here -
was doing some mud driving the other night then took X to car wash straight after for under-body wash then started to get an almost scraping/grinding noise.
Later took wheel & caliper off & found leaf matter (very black) & mud still in there, removed it. Whilst spinning wheel I found it very hard to spin & needed 2 hands & lots of pressure spinning just the hub. All brakes where off & it was in neutral, is this normal?
Also the noise stops when I put the brakes on &/or turn the wheel for slowing down.
It is a 2000 XLT 4.0L Auto 4wd right hand drive with just over 170 000klms on the clock. All service book services have been done to 150 000 then I've done the minor ones at home.
If this is a wheel bearing is there a part no. for me to chase up (or is it a whole hub?) remembering I'm in The Land Down Under where they stopped importing them in about 2004 so parts are bloody hard to get. Is there a generic "brand" for these things?
Thanks

Thanks man, good information! I think I'll give it a try thanks to you!

Okay, continuing on my list of how-to's it's now time to change the front hub/bearing assemblies.

Work was peformed on a 1997 Eddie Bauer 4.0L SOHC 4x4.

I purchased a DynaPak hub assembly from Advance Auto for $177. Seems to be a solid unit and I've heard from people in the past that have not had any problems with them. They do have a one year warranty against defects.

newhubassemblywithtext.jpg

You should also purchase a new axle nut. They're not that expensive and since you're going to waste a lot of lactic-acid getting it off, you may as well put a new shiny one in its place.

Tools you will need:

Jack
Jack stands
Lug nut wrench (should be with your jack in your vehicle)
1 1/4" socket OR
32mm socket
1/2" drive breaker bar
1/2" drive ratchet
3/8" ratchet
15mm socket
3/8" drive 3" extension
1/2" drive 3" or 6" extension
8mm wrench
Rubber mallet
Safety glasses
Long bar that will fit over your breaker bar's handle
Anti-Seize
Lok-Tite (blue tube)

*If you haven't noticed by reading my other how-to threads, I am an anti-seize *****. I believe in the stuff very strongly as I tend to hang on to my vehicles long enough to run into these repairs more than once. So it's a good way to plan ahead for the next time and you WILL thank yourself when that day finally comes.*

Hub Removal:

1. Loosen lug nuts

2. Loosen and remove axle nut with either 1 1/4" OR 32mm socket on a breaker bar. Try not to use your ratchet as you could damage it with the amount of force you'll need to get this nut off. You may need a long bar to put over your breaker bar for leverage.

3. Jack up vehicle and support it securely with jack stands.

4. Remove wheel.

5. Remove brake caliper. Two 15mm bolts hold this on.

6. Remove brake rotor. This just floats on the hub so a few good whacks with your rubber mallet should break it free.

7. Remove dust cover. Three 8mm bolts hold this on.

This is what you should now see:

Hub.jpg

8. Remove the 8mm bolt that holds the ABS Sensor wire to the back of the steering knuckle:

abswirebracketwithtext.jpg

9. Disconnect the ABS Sensor wire quick-connect under the front bumper and any other clips securing this wire to the body:

absconnectorwithtext-1.jpg

10. Remove the three 15mm bolts holding the hub assembly to the steering knuckle:

hubboltswithtext.jpg

11. Hit the lug side of the hub with your rubber mallet a few times; it should break free. Then it just slides off the axle splines and into your hands.

You should now see this:

axleendandknuckleracewithtext.jpg

Notice the huge amount of rust, fried grease and debris that was in the hub/bearing aperture.

12. Thoroughly clean and inspect the axle splines and hub/bearing aperture. Use a degreaser spray if necessary. Lay a film of anti-seize along the mating surfaces of the aperture and center flange of the axle.

cleanaxleendandknuckleracewithtext.jpg

13. Install new hub assembly by sliding unit onto axle splines and pushing back until it mates with the steering knuckle. Put some Lok-Tite on the axle threads and install the new axle-nut (just needs to be finger tight at this point). This will help hold the unit in place while you line up the three bolt holes and install the bolts.

Since this is a piece that usually does not come off the vehicle until it's time for replacement, I choose to Lok-Tite the three mounting bolts and then torque them down.

FinishedHubAssembly.jpg

Tada! Pretty easy, wasn't it?

14. Connect ABS Sensor to connector. The DynaPak hub assembly comes with new retaining clips to hold the wire to the frame. This was a very nice feature of the unit. Simply pop out the old crappy clips and pop the new ones in.

15. Reinstall dust shield, rotor and caliper assembly. DON'T FORGET TO TORQUE THE CALIPER BOLTS DOWN TIGHT!!! These have a very bad habit of falling off on people.

16. Reinstall wheel and lug nuts (don't forget to anti-seize the lugs!) and lower the vehicle.

17. Perform final torquing of the lug nuts and axle nut (250ft/lbs).

That's it. You're done! No more God-awful rubbing noises announcing your presence wherever you go.

Jeremy
'97 Eddie Bauer 4.0L SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Silly question. So,anti seize is optional,do I need to put grease after cleaning the housing where the new hub will be?,or is not a requirement? I think not but if I'm wrong please reply. Cause I did the whole procedure(but no anti seize),then I make a test run and still with some noise.If someone know what's the problem,please reply. Thanks,and great tutorial btw!

Back