i am fed up with this front end!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i am fed up with this front end!!!

ezrider440

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 5.0
here's my story, i have a 1996 ford explorer xlt, 5.0l and it's two wheel drive, the truck runs great but the front end is reaching my patience limits, i even thought about cutting the frame appart today and welding on a f250 leaf spring front end. I recently like the past 5 months replaced, the ball joints, tie rod end links ; both pair inner and outer, the torsion bar adjusters and i have a rattling noise from the front that drives me nuts. sound like a metalic rattle, the exhaust is in great shape all the shield and stuff are tight, the shocks are new edlebrocks about 12 months old. I found today that one of the sway bar links broke, so i gladly ran to the parts store for a new one, no dice, this rattles,...................maybe its the otther sway bar link? any thoughts? i am really reaching my limits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The sway bar links are a recalled item on the explorers. Cut out the front end and then post some pics :D

how about a shake down test? meaning jack the truck up in the air by the frame, get under there and start touching everything, shake everything, spin everything.

Hell if mine is not ratling or making a noise I'm worried.

It could be the control arm bushings. Some one else here was having a problem. The shop had replaced all the ball joints, tie rod ends & sway bar links & it ended up bieng the control arm busings.

control arm bushings are a definate possiblity but i am doubtful, since the controls are new, the sway bar end links and bushings which hold the bar to the cross member are new, i think i' have shakens everything there is to shake, the brake calipers i didn't think about but i am not the type to leave something under-torqued i over torque if anything

Dan Whitaker said:
Hell if mine is not ratling or making a noise I'm worried.

It could be the control arm bushings. Some one else here was having a problem. The shop had replaced all the ball joints, tie rod ends & sway bar links & it ended up bieng the control arm busings.

Ditto...mine is always making some kinda clanking noise. I'm used to it and it hasn't fallen off the frame yet so...we're good! :)

does it rattle when going straight or turning. rattling sound does come from hub assembly as well.

both straight and turned wheels, what would rattle in the hub assembly, it's a 2wd and the bearings are new, unless the spindles wore out and i have a play in the inner bearing diameters, but i would feel it when the front end is in the air and you pulled on the wheels..........also it doesn't make noise in the rain, so maybe a bushing

when your breaking does the noise stay? check the brake pads and calipers, the floater type calipers we have the outer pad is cradled and if its not sticking, it'll rattle. i don't think a clip goes in there, but i think its the glue on kind,(brake pad glue of course) check them out.

Imagine that??? On a 10-year-old vehicle, you might need some steering and suspension parts?? Who'd've thought???

The broken sway bar link could certainly be the cause of the rattle when driving. Calling it a rattle doesn't really help narrow it dow as there are a hundred things that can cause a rattle.

-Joe

there's an interesting thought that the outer brake pad can be giggling, the calipers themselves are on tight, and yea it does happen even though i could be braking...............i don't know............i think i replaced everything i can minus the frame

Dude,
I feel your pain. I have the exact same problem! I have replaced the upper and lower ball joints and control arms, inner outter tie rods, put new shocks and HP bushings. I also have replaced the rack and pinion. Stilll have this knocking when I drive over speed bumps, over things in the road and even stopping..... I love this damn car but I am ready to sell this ***** because this stuff!!!!

Oldskool

I have trouble keeping the upper control arm bolts tight since they are hard to get to and can't get adiquate torque with an s shaped box wrench. Its a place to look for trouble.

humm Ok I will check , but wouldnt the alignment go out of wack if those were loose?

Ee

Only slightly. In and out a little.

I replaced tires, shocks, swaybar endlinks, U/L ball joints, I/O tie rod ends, multiple balances/alignments (in last 12 months) and it still makes all sorts of unpleasant noises. no matter how hard you try it's not a new truck.

Look! As with most of these problems, I've seen people throw money at things that were simple! A little bit of patience goes a long way. Were all in the same boat. Just take a time out and read some other threads

A guy could barely get his started. He replaced $600 in parts guessing. Someone said "clean the MAF", and low and behold he found a dead fly on the MAF. That's not a story. That happened yesterday.

You get the most done when you are full of time and patience. And that's that.

A mechanic doesnt get frustrated. He figures it out!

I went through the full list of problems on my old X trying to find the frontend rattle and it ended up being the drivers side driving light was banging around a little.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you are getting close with the brakes and the few parts left that are still old.

One last thought, is the noise possibly coming from under the seat, left or right? The 95-97's have a wear pad on the torsion bar keys which do squeak when they wear out.

Just keep looking, you will find it.

Back