IAC, TPS, Vacuum Leak? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IAC, TPS, Vacuum Leak?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm.. ok, I'll try that.
swear I got them on correctly, as I did use a green zip tie on one hose and it's corresponding nipple, and a red zip tie on the other and it's corresponding nipple. But it's certainly always possible I still managed to screw up when swapping over to the new EGR tube.

I would be looking at the PDFE sensor, switch the hoses around on that, there is I beleive 2 nipples on it with two vac hoses going to it, 1 is a upstream side and the other is a downstream side, try switching them around. Or make sure you have them plugged in and the electrical lead.

Swap the dpfe hoses around.

I would be looking at the PDFE sensor, switch the hoses around on that, there is I beleive 2 nipples on it with two vac hoses going to it, 1 is a upstream side and the other is a downstream side, try switching them around. Or make sure you have them plugged in and the electrical lead.

:p::D

I was trying to change his direction to the DPFE sensor when he asked if that was the EGR tube, and he color zip tied them to be sure he got them right.

:D

so those would be the small red and white hoses around the back, not the black hoses that go to the EGR tube?

so those would be the small red and white hoses around the back, not the black hoses that go to the EGR tube?

No
red goes to fuel pressure regulator--green goes to egr, white is source to the egr vacuum solenoid-

Now, with a excessive egr flow first switch the DPFE ( egr tube) hoses around with each other. These are the black 5/16" diameter hoses which look like vacuum hoses.

If it still persists this means the egr valve is stuck open. This could be because the 2 lines to the egr regulator ( solenoid) are reversed.

There is a black plastic part with 2 vacuum lines going to the base, this is the egr vacuum regulator .

The PCM calls for egr, sends a signal to the vacuum regulator , which makes the regulator open up to send vacuum to the egr valve. The dpfe measures the exhaust pulse thru the 2 small tubes on the egr pipe. Since there is an orifice inside the egr pipe between the dpfe hoses, when the egr valve opens the closest dpfe hose to the engine will have less pressure than it did before the egr valve opened.
If this pressure does not go lower, the PCM "sees" excessive egr flow. If the egr valve is stuck open, there will be no change in pressure.

Does this help ya grasp it?

yeah, that helps.

but I had actually forgot to connect the hoses to the vacuum regulator :p:

connected that and cleared codes.
we'll see what happens tomorrow!

No
red goes to fuel pressure regulator--green goes to egr, white is source to the egr vacuum solenoid-

Now, with a excessive egr flow first switch the DPFE ( egr tube) hoses around with each other. These are the black 5/16" diameter hoses which look like vacuum hoses.

:thumbsup:

check the black ones, DPFE main source is to measure un-burnt fuel going to the exhaust to be recycled, if I remember correctly.

yeah, that helps.

but I had actually forgot to connect the hoses to the vacuum regulator :p:

connected that and cleared codes.
we'll see what happens tomorrow!

Why not check it now, after you connected them and cleared the ECU? Come on Gavin, lets get to it, no time like now. :D

Why not check it now, after you connected them and cleared the ECU? Come on Gavin, lets get to it, no time like now. :D

Yeah. My wife told me to start grilling dinner, but I told her I couldn't because I was waiting to see if Gavin's truck was fixed.:D

Yeah. My wife told me to start grilling dinner, but I told her I couldn't because I was waiting to see if Gavin's truck was fixed.:D

72 posts later and.....

wtf%20face.jpg

This has been a 3 way conversation, and now I feel like the ***** on the other end. :D

munchstretchcouch2-1.gif

lol
well it is the weekend.. need a little time for some R&R :D

at temp, idle in P or N is around 900.
idle, at a stop in D, is about 800.

around a 4 mile trip to work, and no CEL yet.

sure is strange not hearing that exhaust tick.

at temp, idle in P or N is around 900.
idle, at a stop in D, is about 800.

around a 4 mile trip to work, and no CEL yet.

sure is strange not hearing that exhaust tick.

Still too high, at idle in Park, you should be at a steady 725-750 rpm's, no higher. Same thing at a stop in drive.

Still too high, at idle in Park, you should be at a steady 725-750 rpm's, no higher. Same thing at a stop in drive.

well, I'm only guessing.
kinda hard to get a good guesstimate when the gauge goes by thousands, and I'm not sure how accurate it is considering I had removed the needle when I installed the indiglo gauges.

although my CEL did come back on just after leaving to come home for lunch.
guessing it's the same code, but will know shortly.

ok so it does appear my tach my be accurate.
cleared the codes before I left home to come back to work.
at the 2nd stop light, the tach was right between 500 and 1000; bit lower than it had been.
next stop light, back to a bit shy of 1000.

CEL was P1401 again.

Will swap hoses to EGR tube after the engine cools down enough after getting home this evening.

ok so it does appear my tach my be accurate.
cleared the codes before I left home to come back to work.
at the 2nd stop light, the tach was right between 500 and 1000; bit lower than it had been.
next stop light, back to a bit shy of 1000.

CEL was P1401 again.

Will swap hoses to EGR tube after the engine cools down enough after getting home this evening.

What I am suggesting is to just swap the egr tube ends of the dpfe hoses with each other--in case they are connected to the wrong dpfe ports.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I am suggesting is to just swap the egr tube ends of the dpfe hoses with each other--in case they are connected to the wrong dpfe ports.

that was the plan :p:

was just waiting to do that since I had originally forgot to hook the hoses back up to the vacuum regulator ;)

Back