IFS Heavy Duty Upgrades! | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IFS Heavy Duty Upgrades!

Im curious as to how the inner tie rods hold up, ive bent my 4th set in a year and im getting fed up and need something beafier. please let me know,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im curious as to how the inner tie rods hold up, ive bent my 4th set in a year and im getting fed up and need something beafier. please let me know,

IMAG0209.jpg

IFS instructions - THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Having information like this helps us make sound decisions (best) while saving us big $$$ for not having to re-do cheap parts that don't last!!

The site is a God-send!!

Traillover....

Just ordered pro grade Raybestos UCAs from RockAuto. Thanks for posting.

OK, I subscribed for when I need to replace mine and the time has come. I read the whole thing and don't see anyone using the Moog arms part# AMGK8708T. I see from the XRF part box that it is a swap.

Cut from Summits catalog,
"These Moog control arms are developed to meet the rigorous demands of today's passenger cars, pickups, and SUVs. They feature M2 technology for smooth, responsive steering. The 10 degree extra stud swing in the upper ball joint is for situations where more suspension travel is desired. Directional "grease release" directs contaminants out of the socket and away from brake components during lubrication."

10 degrees extra angle is interesting. I would think that the CVs couldn't handle that but interesting anyway. Any thoughts?

OK, I subscribed for when I need to replace mine and the time has come. I read the whole thing and don't see anyone using the Moog arms part# AMGK8708T. I see from the XRF part box that it is a swap.

Cut from Summits catalog,
"These Moog control arms are developed to meet the rigorous demands of today's passenger cars, pickups, and SUVs. They feature M2 technology for smooth, responsive steering. The 10 degree extra stud swing in the upper ball joint is for situations where more suspension travel is desired. Directional "grease release" directs contaminants out of the socket and away from brake components during lubrication."

10 degrees extra angle is interesting. I would think that the CVs couldn't handle that but interesting anyway. Any thoughts?

Moog K8708T doesn't appear to be a "HD" part, hence why it's not mentioned in this thread.
That part number does appear to be mentioned in 31 threads in the forums though.

I would suggest you guys that wheel a lot look into btf makes some good stuff I think my front end will see a lot of work next year. I plan on getting the UCA from BTF, inner tie rods from Dixon bros racing and uni ball (or himes joint) outer tie rods from ballistic fab. Then I'll star gathering parts for my coilovers

You must really love the IFS to drop that much money into it.

Yes I do I always try what I have better. Plus I'd like to keep it a daily and IFS is more comfortable offroad for trails and such, plus my sas project will be a 1st gen if I ever get to it lol.

hey guys just read through this entire thread.

Have a question about the UCAs. I'm looking them up on ebay to get a good deal, and I've been using the part #s posted on this thread. I find some but they have a "B" after the part #. For instance, "Raybestos Suspension Ball Joint W/ CONTROL ARM 502-1022B" and the picture looks like the right part and everything, but I'm not sure if that "B" means that its not HD or something?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

it appears 1090B is "Standard" whereas 1090 is "Pemium"

Part Number: 502-1022
Brand: Raybestos
UPC Number : 747730437668
Sub Brand: Raybestos Chassis
Grade: PREMIUM
Control Arm Program: No
Type: Ball Joint

Part Number: 502-1022B
Brand: Raybestos
UPC Number : 829352383407
Sub Brand: Raybestos Red
Grade: STANDARD
Control Arm Program: No
Type: Ball Joint

although both numbers are part of their "Profession Grade" series

Can someone explain why the right upper control arm is two pieces, and the other side is not ...

Just kidding. I just figured it has been a while since someone repeated that question.

On the serious side, I wanted to thank gmanpaint and everyone here for this great thread. There may be a SAS in my distant future, but I'm heading to 35s this spring on my daily driver/trail ride and I'm going to make this HD upgrade a part of that project. What's the point of spending a big chunk on tires and rims just to get stranded in the woods when a stock-grade front end piece rattles apart.

Just great stuff, folks. I'll post some pics and offer any feedback that might help once the parts are in and the rig is rolling on them.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Here we go. The shims being in there kind of make it harder to see how bad it is.

Right Side:

100_0071.jpg

100_0072.jpg

Left Side (worst of the 2):

100_0069.jpg

100_0070.jpg

Left side wheel clearance:
100_0074.jpg

100_0075.jpg

I realize these are slightly over sized tires but you can still see that there is a problem.

The part numbers on the arms are RAYBESTOS 5071144 and RAYBESTOS 5071143.. I just came in from pulling them back off and don't want to go back and check for stamping numbers right now. The stock ones should be in tomorrow.

That's ok. I appreciate the help. I gave customer service a call about it and the only thing they would do for me is send me a new set if I returned the old ones - not the route I wanted to go. I'm sure the shipping is quite a bit to ship those things around and I don't want to eat the cost of the return shipping when I have no reason to believe that the second set would be any better. I PMed Ashely and he did reply with the response that I had to go through customer service.

The T-bars are brand new #1 factory Ford explorer bars (the stiffest they make which were used on the FX4 rangers), I double checked the numbers on those as well.

I'll be installing the new Ford LCA's tonight and I'll take pictures of them installed.

I installed the new ones last night and rolled the truck forward and backward. In these pictures I still have about 1/4" of threads left showing on the adjustment bolts...

Left Side
100_0081.jpg

Right Side
100_0083.jpg

Left Side Ride hieght
100_0084.jpg

100_0087.jpg

The hex that the torsion bars go through is smaller and thicker walled then the Raybestos ones..

I was wondering if this issue was ever resolved----does raybestos know of the problem and are they fixing it?

Damn how did i miss the page about the lower control arms.... deffinatly not right at all. i hope Raybestos gave money back plus shipping.

Sadly this was never resolved. I did in fact call Raybestos about it and they were much less than helpful. Both Raybestos and Rockauto claimed that they have sold dozens of these without 1 complaint or return due to deffect. I guess I screwed myself because I waited beyond rockauto's return policy time frame to put them on. The whole deal left me with a bad taste for Raybestos.

Damn dude that sucks. Well maybe you could sell them to someone on here that might be doing a coil over setup. That's if you still have them

BTW the new ones that were installed what brand are they this time around.

Damn dude that sucks. Well maybe you could sell them to someone on here that might be doing a coil over setup. That's if you still have them

BTW the new ones that were installed what brand are they this time around.

Yes I do still have them, with the new ball joints and bushings in them. If anyone is interested I would gladly sell them cheap.

The new ones that I have currently installed are factory Ford ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back