How to: - Install Timberline steel skid plate on 2020 ST | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install Timberline steel skid plate on 2020 ST

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
I purchased this steel skidplate, Ford part # M-5018-EXP from Benny at Levittown Ford Parts.

This is the skidplate that is factory installed on the Timberline. It fits the 2020 ST perfectly.

The kit comes with everything needed for installation.

To begin remove the lower engine cover as if you were doing an oil change. The forward most cover does not need to be removed.

skid_nut_inserts.jpg

Install the nut inserts into existing rectangular holes in two frame crossmembers, aligning the nut with the round hole beside the rectangular hole.

skid_2screws2.jpg

The two "screws" without thread locker are the rear mounts and attach to existing holes in the transmission mount bracket.

skid_6bolts.jpg

The six bolts come with blue thread locker already on the bolts. Those are the bolts which will attach to the two crossmembers.

skid_installed.jpg

Full protection of transmission pan.

skid_drain.jpg

They leave a large opening for access to the drain plug. It would have been a nice touch to have an access panel held in place with flush Allen screws.

Looks good. I like it.

After installing the skid plate I decided to seal off the access cutout with a double layer of HVAC foil tape.
I'll trim the foil tape out of the opening for each oil change (every 6 months in my case).

IMG_4649(1).JPG

Back