Installing civilian console into 2013 FPIU | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing civilian console into 2013 FPIU

Thanks..that would be helpful. My OCD would prefer my new LEDs only work with the headlights.

Off topic alert - illuminating the area above the 12v power points and SYNC plug with some LEDs...even found a dimmer so that the brightness is appropriate....
Hey dude just sorry it took me a little bit to get the pic. But this wire that I tapped into that has purple on the side also dims when you change the brightness.

So the purple why are you see my black tape on is where I spliced into I did not cut this wire. But when I use the dimmer or brightness setting all the lights go up and down as well. I just used a purple wire so that I knew when it went to the center console what it didn’t.

F64F4778-948F-4506-B889-3C59F843E409.jpeg

Hey dude just sorry it took me a little bit to get the pic. But this wire that I tapped into that has purple on the side also dims when you change the brightness.

So the purple why are you see my black tape on is where I spliced into I did not cut this wire. But when I use the dimmer or brightness setting all the lights go up and down as well. I just used a purple wire so that I knew when it went to the center console what it didn’t.
Thanks very much! I'm using a set of LEDs with a dimmer...so I just need a trigger wire.

My car (2015 PIU) had the common 2x power ports, USB, and line-in port setup at the bottom of the center stack. I pulled out that center stack trim and the police console base plate. Unscrewed and disposed of the metal bar (as learned by reading this forum). Bolted up the new console via the same holes and fasteners as the base plate had used. Restated: THERE IS NO SPECIFIC, BESPOKE MOUNTING HARDWARE FOR THE NON-PI CONSOLE. The little fascia plate for the USB & 3.5mm plug fit directly into the new console in the front "In-Sync" cubby, and one of the two available power ports plugged right next to it. Spliced in a few feet of 18ga to the plug for the second OE power port and plugged it into the power port of the big rear cubby. I don't care about back-seat HVAC (silly idea, really) or lighting. Car had In-Sync before the swap, and has it now - the console swap changed nothing in that regard.

The brand-new PI (no shifter hole) top trim plate doubled the price of this project, but what the hell:
piu-console3a-jpg.442064
PIU console3a.jpg

Donor console's cubby door is wrong color, but I've got a replacement in the right color for when I get around to it.

Back