hard rear braking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hard rear braking

WILMAC

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Every now and then then backing up when you touch the brakes it is like you applied too much pressure and is slightly annoying to say the least. Put in drive and back in reverse and can not duplicate it again. Anyone else have this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The entire braking system in these explorers are flawed. It has an electronic brake booster and so far since i got my XLT, the braking modulation is not consistent AT ALL.

Sometimes it's strong, sometimes i feel like i can't stop early enough. I don't know what it is. Maybe needs a reflash? Or an update?

Take it to the dealer. There's a Tech Bulletin

AF/E-CST STS WHEN PRESSING BRAKE PEDAL IT WILL GET REALLY STIFF AND HARD TO BRAKE. HAVE TO APPLY LOTS OF PRESSURE ON PEDAL TO STOP.
WAS BACKING OUT OF APARKING SPOT AT STORE AND COULDNT STOP FOR BRAKE PEDAL WAS TO HARD TO PUSH. HA
CAUSE: M-TIME: . 5 H R , N O . L A B O R O P
600 CST STS WHEN PRESSING BRAKE PEDAL IT WILL GET
REALLY STIFF AND HARD TO BRAKE. HAVE TO
APPLY LOTS OF PRESSURE ON PEDAL TO STOP. WAS BACKING OUT OF APARKING SPOT AT STORE AND COULDNT STOP FOR BRAKE PEDAL WAS TO HARD TO PUSH. HAS HAPPENED AFEW TIMES EVEN BACKING OUT OF GARAGE.
2611 NORTON,JOSHUA RLIC#: 001157287 W 0.00
(N/C) PARTS: 0.00 LABOR: 0.00 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE A: 0.00
4284M-TIME:.5HR, NO LABOR OP 0.50 CHECKED OASIS, FOUND SSM 49011 RELATED TO CUSTOMER CONCERN OF HARD BRAKE PEDAL. REPROGRAJVIMED ABS

AF/E-CST STS WHEN PRESSING BRAKE PEDAL IT WILL GET REALLY STIFF AND HARD TO BRAKE. HAVE TO APPLY LOTS OF PRESSURE ON PEDAL TO STOP.
WAS BACKING OUT OF APARKING SPOT AT STORE AND COULDNT STOP FOR BRAKE PEDAL WAS TO HARD TO PUSH. HA
CAUSE: M-TIME: . 5 H R , N O . L A B O R O P
600 CST STS WHEN PRESSING BRAKE PEDAL IT WILL GET
REALLY STIFF AND HARD TO BRAKE. HAVE TO
APPLY LOTS OF PRESSURE ON PEDAL TO STOP. WAS BACKING OUT OF APARKING SPOT AT STORE AND COULDNT STOP FOR BRAKE PEDAL WAS TO HARD TO PUSH. HAS HAPPENED AFEW TIMES EVEN BACKING OUT OF GARAGE.
2611 NORTON,JOSHUA RLIC#: 001157287 W 0.00
(N/C) PARTS: 0.00 LABOR: 0.00 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE A: 0.00
4284M-TIME:.5HR, NO LABOR OP 0.50 CHECKED OASIS, FOUND SSM 49011 RELATED TO CUSTOMER CONCERN OF HARD BRAKE PEDAL. REPROGRAJVIMED ABS
My symptoms are when backing up at times just putting your foot on the brake petal is like stomping on the brakes. Maybe this will apply and fix mine. Thanks.

..................................................................................
I don't believe the member is experiencing the same issue. It seems to be quite the opposite, but as he mentioned, it might be related.

Peter

My symptoms are when backing up at times just putting your foot on the brake petal is like stomping on the brakes. Maybe this will apply and fix mine. Thanks.
Please keep us updated on this. Thanks.

Peter

I don't believe the member is experiencing the same issue. It seems to be quite the opposite, but as he mentioned, it might be related.

Peter
It seems exactly the same to me. I almost backed over some folks in the Costco parking lot before the dealer finally took enough time to find the cause. It had been in the shop several times for the same issue and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Sadly, the SSM had been on the books for nearly a year before someone in the shop finally found it.

You're referring to a hard pedal Steve, his issue is a too sensitive one when backing up..

Peter

You're referring to a hard pedal Steve, his issue is a too sensitive one when backing up..

Peter

It's probably all related then.

The braking in the explorers isn't consistent, at least with mine.

Sometimes pedal is normal, sometimes it's a bit stiff and sometimes i feel like it it's not strong enough.

That incident i had last month about me just sitting there idling and then all of a sudden i get paraded by chimes and warning indicators saying check brake system, collision assist not available, check ABS etc. Brake pedal was hard as a rock, as if you're trying to use the brakes with the car off. All i did was shut the car off, then waited a bit, then restarted and everything went back to normal.

This is definitely something software related and/or a trouble code stored in the PCM.

Peter
I have both conditions backing up touch the brake lightly to control reverse speed and the vehicle slams to a stop. Today my wife said that happened again, but this time she let up on the brake pedal and the car started backing up again. However, it then exhibited the hard pedal and she couldn’t get it to stop without standing on the brake pedal.

I don't find mine to be overly sensitive, though my wife does [compared to her Expedition Max]
I've had the hard pedal issue a couple times, will add it to my list of things I need to make an appt for before the warranty is up.

Back