Jim's 98 2wd XLT Ranger

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
my parents no longer want the rolled explorer with a grey tarp on top of it parked in front of their house, if i get rid of it, they will give me their 98 2wd ranger!

1998 2wd supercab with a 3.0l v6, automatic, 3.73 open diff, ford 7.5 with rear drums. has front abs. 141k-ish miles, and running strong

here are some pictures of the truck hauling away my old 2wd toyota

pic010708_4.jpg

pic010708_2.jpg

according to the door sticker, the stock sized tires are 225/70/14SL on 14x6 wheels (26.4")

currently have installed P235/75/15 on 15x7 wheels (28.9")

@ 65 MPH on the speedometer, I am actually doing 71.2 MPH according to www.4lo.com

new rims and tires
pic020608_2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what transmission does my truck have?

:dunno:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/AutoTrans.html

TRS said:
5R44E/5R55E - Automatic Transmission:

The 5R55E is a computer controlled rear wheel drive automatic transmission used in 1997 and newer Ford Rangers and is identified by transmission code 'D'. This is a computer controlled rear wheel drive overdrive transmission.

The 5R55E, though mechanically identical to the 4-speed 4R55E, was a five-speed transmission, the first produced by an American maker. The ability to produce five forward gears is by improved software control. The 5R55E introduced adaptive shift control and sophisticated friction to friction shift ability. The 5R55E introduced Directional high energy frictions and eliminated all but one thrust washer with high-capacity thrust bearings. It was the first 5-speed electronically controlled transmission in an American vehicle. It was designed for the high-torque 4.0 L SOHC and 4.0 L OHV Cologne SOHC V6.

Gear Ratios:

1st = 2.47:1

2nd = 1.87:1

3rd = 1.47:1

4th = 1.00:1

5th = 0.75:1

Reverse = ?.??:1

hmmmm... i wonder, it appears to only be a 4 speed like my explorer, the gear selector has 1,2,D and there is a button to turn OD on/off on the stalk

thanks froader. that link provided me with what i think i needed. according to my vin sticker on the door, it has a listing that says TR and appears to list the letter T under it, according to that link T 4R44E T 1995-2001 4-Cylinder & 3.0L Rangers 4-Speed 2.47 / 1.47 / 1.00 / 0.75 , which does fit because it is a 98 3.0l ranger

pic020608_11.jpg

so i have the 4r44e?

also, i did the math today, and with the bigger tires i end up having an effective rear end ratio of 3.41... not too bad, and it still is peppy, i can still chirp the tires from a standstill on dry pavement, chirp, not spin, but chirp nonetheless

nice truck u going to do any mods to it

no mods other than reliability issues or upgrades, i may do a shift kit to it, but thats it...

anyone know what tranny i have?

is my tranny a 4r44e?

also, what brakes are best? it is time to do the front end again, and i hate having warped rotors like it has now.... it currently has brembo blanks i got from tirerack, and they were sweet for a long time, but vibrate like crazy now. i drive hard, lots of hard braking mostly in city but also qutie a bit on the freeway, stop and go traffic and also higher speed cruising while commuting....

are powerslot the best? or? what about pads?

Back