JoshC's D30 SFA by CRLCustoms.com | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JoshC's D30 SFA by CRLCustoms.com

Well, i'm going to go ahead and start a thread so i can get some information and some more ideas from everyone on here. I bought a Dana 30 off of a wrecked 95 XJ. Paid $200 pulled off the truck for me. Not to bad. Ordered 4.56 gears for the 8.8 and D30 from Randys Ring and Pinion for about $450. I just picked up a Powertrax Lockrite for the D30 last week. I'm trying to install that right now, but it's going to be a pain. I had the gears in the D30 installed last week for $150. I couldn't believe that price! Mom and my brother went in and got me some diff. rock guards for Christmas from Ronscustomshop.bigstep.com. He cut them a deal for buying 2 at a time.

Here are a few pictures of what i've got so far. Please feel free to jump in and give me some advice. I'm not 100% sure what Cory has in mind. So Cory, you jump in and feel everyone, including me, in on what we are looking at here!

2287im000812.jpg

2287im000813.jpg

2287im000814.jpg

Happy trails!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cog = center of gravity ;)

your truck looks great josh. i'm diggin the bumper. i have leftover money now that the locker didn't come in.. hmmmm...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Originally posted by Rx4phun
looks like you might have a little frame flex, b/c the bumper isnt straight in some of those shots. Maybe your frame needs some reenforcement.

All vehicles with the C-Channel frame have frame flex. It also has to do with the body mounts.

Originally posted by zensius
So how high did that front tire go on the forklift? I gotta know.

I didn't actually measure, but if I remember correctly you could have put another 35" tire underneath it. I'd say minimumlly 33" with a max of about 36".

Nice work. Looks just like I want mine. Looks possible to fit 36x12.5 TSL radial on 15x10. Probably would rub a tad though.

What is the D30 WMS to WMS? Im looking for a HP D44 though..

I would love to have 37's, but i believe my little 35's will hold me for a while:D Before i went anything over 35 i'll get a D44, probably one from a rubicon so that everthing will bolt up exactly like it is now.

Cory, let's not jenks me before we try it out by saying that 35's might be trouble!

You know that a rubi 44 isn't as strong as a true 44. But I think that is due to the knuckles and crap that I am sure could be swapped out, but wouldn't be worth what it would cost you for a rubi 44. I would get a regular old ford 44 maybe HP and cut it down and make it work.

Couldnt you just get the jeep brackets and buckers welded on any axle? might cost but...... oh well

Then again you might loose your 5 on 4.5 with the Ford D44 outers parts....?

Originally posted by soupbone
Couldnt you just get the jeep brackets and buckers welded on any axle? might cost but...... oh well

Then again you might loose your 5 on 4.5 with the Ford D44 outers parts....?

Probably and it would end up being stronger I imagine. Maybe an old waggoneer 44 would work well. It has the same bolt pattern. Don't know about its strength though. Seems to be nice. But I bet this is a while down the road anyways.

The only diff between a TJ D30 and Rubicon D44 is the Ring and Pinion and Locker. The inner axle and U-joing are D44 sized, but the outers are still weak. But if you upgraded it to the 5x5.5" manual hubs you'd have a decent axle . . . Then the main weak points are the d30 knuckles and axle tube.

Yeah we're talking a ways down the road here. I'm sure this will last me for a long while. I 'm not rough when i'm driving it off road.....yet!

You better be hard on that thing! All that time and customization needs to be beaten!:D

haha. It will be used, trust me, but it will take a few outtings before i'm use to it.

I just got my No-slip put back in. That was simple. Things are always easier after the first time. Lucky the mechanic that installed my gears put a notched center pin in there already, cause is a must with 4.56 gears! Front drive shaft is suppose to be here today, i called about that already.

Originally posted by JoshC
I just got my No-slip put back in.

Front or Rear? If not the front, what are you going to put up there?

Rear, sorry guess i should have said that. I've got a lock rite up front! My driveshaft did come in today, got some bolts at Lowes so i can put that bad boy on then i'll be able to go wheelin this weekend!!!!!!!

Here is a picture of my wife standing beside my explorer, she's about 5'6", so that gives you a little bit of an idea about how tall it is.

2287im000906-2.jpg

My newly painted axle with the diff guard installed with grade 8 bolts after i installed the no-slip locker.

2287im000905-2.jpg

Back