JoshC's D30 SFA by CRLCustoms.com | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JoshC's D30 SFA by CRLCustoms.com

Well, i'm going to go ahead and start a thread so i can get some information and some more ideas from everyone on here. I bought a Dana 30 off of a wrecked 95 XJ. Paid $200 pulled off the truck for me. Not to bad. Ordered 4.56 gears for the 8.8 and D30 from Randys Ring and Pinion for about $450. I just picked up a Powertrax Lockrite for the D30 last week. I'm trying to install that right now, but it's going to be a pain. I had the gears in the D30 installed last week for $150. I couldn't believe that price! Mom and my brother went in and got me some diff. rock guards for Christmas from Ronscustomshop.bigstep.com. He cut them a deal for buying 2 at a time.

Here are a few pictures of what i've got so far. Please feel free to jump in and give me some advice. I'm not 100% sure what Cory has in mind. So Cory, you jump in and feel everyone, including me, in on what we are looking at here!

2287im000812.jpg

2287im000813.jpg

2287im000814.jpg

Happy trails!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow... another d30 sfa conversion.... robb is going to be mad that you stole his idea :)

Acutally, Robb, Cory and myself have been talking about this for a while. We met in Cross Lanes WV, just across the hill from me, and had breakfast one morning when Cory picked up Robbs truck. The only difference here is that i'll be running coils where Robb has leafs. But yeah i stole his idea:p

Actually, he just beat me to the phone by a few hours. I'd been thinking about this and i finally got it worked out with Cory and we decided to do it. I'm really excited cause Cory does really good work and i'd rather give him my business then any of the shops around here.

Happy trails!!

Curtis, by VAC, i'm assuming you are meaning the Vacuum actuator. For now, i'm just going to rig it with some vacuum caps in the locked position. When i talk myself into spending the $200 for the cable setup, i'll do that. It will work for me for the time being.

Happy trails!!

Originally posted by JoshC
Curtis, by VAC, i'm assuming you are meaning the Vacuum actuator. For now, i'm just going to rig it with some vacuum caps in the locked position. When i talk myself into spending the $200 for the cable setup, i'll do that. It will work for me for the time being.

Happy trails!!
hmm interesting, if you dont mind can you detail how you gonna rig up the axle? ie: control arms and trac-bars. cause i wanna runs coils also. thanks, Curtis

Cory is going to make all new everything. Steering links, trac bars, using heim joints instead of tierods. It's going to very very nice when it's all said and done. Should be very solid. His tubing is super strong. Same stuff he uses on his truck and the tire carriers he makes for us. I'm looking forward to seeing the first stages of the new link setup, should be nice.

I was going to post the link for the vacuum rig up but i've lost it. I got it from jeepsunlimited.com.

Happy trails!!

I went to my local 4x4 shop today and ordered some universal weld on shock mounts for the rear. I'm not real wild about mounting them in the sway bar whole. I'll get them in next week and post a picture for everyone. They were only $20 a pair, maybe some other guys would like to do that to theirs.

Last night i started to install my front locker. I got both axles out and i now i have to get the ring gear and the carrier out to finish it. Alot harder then the Powertrax No-slip is to install, oh well.

Happy trails!!

Looks good so far Josh, makes me jealous!

My only question is, after the SFA swap, how streetable would the trucks be, like as a DD?

Should be just like driving a jeep or anything else with a SFA. Things will be modifited or beefed up for offroad use. This is considering we can get the Scout steering box to work instead of using the return to center hydro setup (i think that is what it is called). When ever i take my truck to Cory's shop you'll have to come by so i can meet you and see your truck.

Happy trails!!

So Cory, you jump in and feel everyone, including me,

Didnt know Cory was that type of guy. Sorry I had to do it:D

When ever i take my truck to Cory's shop you'll have to come by so i can meet you and see your truck.

Happy trails!!

Most definitely, do you have a time frame of when your gonna (month wise). I'm supposed to move in May, that is if the ARMY lets me out, if they don't let me out, i'll be here forever :confused:

It should be with in a month. He's got a big part of Robbs truck done already i think. He was going to have me bring mine down and start on it while he was doing the tweaking on Robbs. I'll be out of the country for the Air Force in March so i'm hoping that when i come back it will be my "welcome home present!"

Happy trails!!

Josh,
Do you have any pics of the Powertrax for the D30? I got mine used and it is in seperate parts. The guy is supposed to send the instructions, but it may be a couple of days before I get those. This is what I got:
-the center pin
-the 2 pieces that surround the center pin that have the 2 dowls on one side and the teeth on the other
-the inner collars for the pieces that surround the pin
-the 2 pieces with the gear teeth on the inside and cupped on one side, and teeth on the other

Is this about all there is? The generic pic on Powertrax's website shows spacers..........I don't have any spacers. If you have any pics of the Powertrax itself or of the install, please show.

Robb

edit: I found this pic of a CJ7 Powertrax:
lockrightpieces.jpg

It looks like I am missing the dark cylindrical think ( I am guessing a roll pin for the center pin), the smaller silver pins (not sure what they are, if they are the "dowls", I only got 4), and the washers or shims. This isn't looking good.

That looks basically like it Robb. If i get a chance i'll lay it all out for you and take a picture so you can compare. I have the instructions and i also have this link: Powertrax Lockrite install

I haven't gotten very far on it. I got a new work truck that i've been converting everything from my old on over. So that's been taking up time. I should get it finished next week. I still need to buy my tires, that's going to hurt. I might wait a while on those, kind of like you are doing on yours Robb.

One more thing on your locker. The guy i bought mine from broke those shear pins in it sometime, and he told me about it when he was taking it out, so i called Randy's Ring and Pinion and ordered 2 sets of those pins, one is a back up. It was $11.00 for a set with the springs, so you might want to think about that too.

Happy trails!!

can you keep your dics and calipers with the D 30?

You know, i never thought about that. I might be able to, but wait, i don't think the caliper will bolt up. I might be able to use my discs though, i do need some. I'll get back to you on that.

Happy trails!!

Jeff I got to thinking about the spacing on the discs and the hole where the "hub" goes and decided that it wouldn't work.

Today i bought some new rotors and brake pads. Also picked up the diff gasket and fluid so i could put it back togther when i get finished with the locker install.

Finally got to work on the locker. In the freezing cold. I had the heater in the garage about 1 foot from me! I finally got the carrier and ring gear out of the diff. That was a pain because i didn't realize that my pass. side axle shaft wasn't all the way out, but you learn as you go. I worked for about 2 hours on this and still didn't get done. Things always seem to be hard the first time. I got the locker installed as shown here:
2287im000818-1.jpg

and then realized that i had to install the c clip for the pass side axle shaft, so i take it back out of the diff, take the ring gear back off, take 3 of the 4 springs out of the locker so i could pry it open enought to get the clip on there. Put it back in the diff, got the c clip put back in, installed the driver side axle shaft, bolted everything up on that side. Feeling good by this point because everything is working great except that my dumb A$$ forgot to put the ring gear back on!! Man, i'm still pissed at myself. So i just left it, i'll get to it later. But other then the ring gear being off, it works by turning it with your hand.

Robb here is the picture of the lockrite i have:
2287im000816-1.jpg

I didn't lay the contents of the bag out, but it is the 8 springs and 4 pins. I also didn't include the bolt (or whatever it is called) and the retaining pin for it. So looking back at your picture that is right.

But that's where i stand for now. Hopefully i can get this thing put back together in the next couple of days and get it painted and my diff rock guard painted and installed. Then i'll probably go ahead and take my explorer to the mechanics and have him regear the 8.8 and i'll pick it up and take it Cory from there.

Happy trails!!

Well, the time is getting closer. I'm planning on taking my explorer to Cory on the 9th of february. I can't wait!

I've got all the parts i need to get i believe. I bought a Scout steering box from someone on Pirate4x4 for $50. Should be coming in the mail somtime soon (i hope).

Today i went to pick up my tires. 35x12.50. Man they are freaking huge. I was so excited when i saw them, but bumbed when i had nothing to put them on yet:(

Oh well, won't be long. Last week i picked up some universal shock mounts for the rear, i didn't want to use the sway bar holes.

Here are some pictures of the new tires.
This picture cracks me up!
2287im000823.jpg

Just a small size difference
2287im000824.jpg

Back to their new home!
2287im000822.jpg

Happy trails!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got my spare mounted today. I forgot to take it with me friday when i bought the tires, so i had it done today. Below is the picture of it on my tire carrier. Looks good, big too. It does cover part of my license plate, but i don't care.

I'm also take my explorer to my mechanics shop this evening and he is going to get the rear regeared this week so i will have that done for Cory. That's all i've got so far. Got word the my steering box is in the mail, should have it this week sometime, that's good!

Happy trails!!
2287im000827.jpg

Back