Keeper's Explorer. Take two. | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keeper's Explorer. Take two.

Welcome to my new registry. This is my 2000 Explorer XLT. Bought it from the original owner for $3,400. Came with the owners manual, and the paper work to prove it's been dealer maintained. When I purchased the Ex, it had 111,000 on the odometer, a small tear in the leather of the drivers seat, some sand in the back( take it the guy was a surfer, found a few surf board fins in the jack storage area). Gonna do a alignment when I get the chance, and start transferring all my mods from my Sport into this.

As she stands when I brought her home.

101_1666.jpg

101_1667.jpg

101_1668.jpg

101_1669.jpg

101_1670.jpg

How she currently stands.
102_0769.jpg

04/07/11

Current Mods:

Interior:

Exterior:

Lighting:
  • Sylvania Silverstars for the headlights.
  • x2 Hella 500 driving lights.
  • Fog light/ High beam mod.
  • LED Puddle lights, license plate lights.

Engine:4.0L SOHC

Suspension and Brakes

Drive Train

Projects for the future:
  • Quick disconnects for front and rear sway bar.
  • Possibly LS up front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got a cool switch panel from my older brother. A lot sturdier then my old set up so I did a little measuring and cutting and got this installed. Here's a little in the process.

Here's how it started, not sure where it came from.
photo-4.jpg

Sanded it down and primed it.
photo1-6.jpg

Painted it gloss black. Pretty much what it will look like.
photo2-7.jpg

And fully installed. Only have the need for one switch, but I'm set for three more things.
photo-5.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Looks good! :thumbsup:

Thanks Rando!

In recent news I got in contact with Brandon from BTF, and placed an order for a set of their upper control arms. Should be get them in about two weeks.

Thanks Rando!

In recent news I got in contact with Brandon from BTF, and placed an order for a set of their upper control arms. Should be get them in about two weeks.

Hopefully before Truckhaven ;)

Well today was pretty cool. My brother has a buddy who was trying to sell some Explorer fenders. Met up with him and traded a 20mm ammo can and $20 for these.

photo2-16.jpg

Got one pair that's ready to mount and a spare Fiberworxs left fender. May be selling the spare one in the near future, and getting the fenders primed up and painted. Not sure if I plan to mount these anytime soon, but the deal was too good to pass up.

HOWDY GENTS! I've got an actual update! Now I'm not posting just for my own narcissistic tendencies! A few weeks ago I got in contact with BTF Fabrication, after chatting with Brandon for a few minutes about the kind of stuff they could make for the Torsion bar Explorers. I settled in for a set of uni-ball equipped beef upper control arms. Now onto the good stuff.

Driving home with them from BTF.

photo1-17.jpg

After a coat or two of rustoleom.

photo2-18.jpg

Before:

Driver side

photo3-6.jpg

Passenger side

photo4-5.jpg

After:

Driver side

photo1-18.jpg

Passenger side

photo2-19.jpg

Had a ***** of a time getting the bolts out of the control arm on the driver side, who ever decided to run all those lines so close to the shock tower should be punched in the throat. Also cranked up the torsion bars a bit more after putting everything back together. Going to get a bit more precise tomorrow morning before taking her to get an alignment.

Had some issues with the camber after the new UCA's. Got the camber kit(just the new shim things) And retained the OEM bolts. Guy down at Firestone had some trouble getting the alignment due to the OEM bolt having that welded on plate being a bit to wide to fit in. He recommended doing a tad bit of grinding to get it to align properly. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this before I knock this out tomorrow after class.

Well I got the Explorer properly aligned, had to pick up a camber kit, but no biggie.

Took her out to truckhaven, and I could feel the difference in the stock worn out UCA and the BTF UCA's. No major carnage was had out in the desert. Just a few new scratches, killed my end link bushings and my inline fuse for my Hella's. Instead of getting new fuses and what not, I went and picked up a self resetting circuit breaker.

Good to hear the UCAs worked out for you. I kill my endlink bushings so often I stopped replacing them. I have had zero bushings on my endlinks for over a year now, the links just flop all around. I need to fab up quick discos.

Do you still have your rear sway bar?

Dynomax super turbo. Few of us sohc guys have them. Its not to loud which, in my opinion is good on the sohc. I can't stand a loud annoying v6 engine. Its kinda throaty (for a v6) but quiet when cruising. I have no resonator so its louder. I have a little drone, but thats not an issue with a 4 door from what i see. I have a sport. Plus its cheap, like 35 bucks.

Nice UCAs, I might have to get a set sometime down the road. And if my eyes aren't mistaken, is that a Corporal sticker on your windshield and lance pins in your console? Congrats, if you got promoted.

Truck haven looked like a blast. Makes me wish the Ex was running and I was still back in Yuma, I would love to have been out there with you guys.

Those are actually a set of my busted up field chevrons that I had to change out cause my 1st Sgt wanted to be a dick...haha what new?

Indeed, those UCA's are pretty beefy, and I don't anticipate having to worry about them wearing out anytime in the next few years.

How much did those run you, if you don't mind me asking? I heard about those guys somehwere on here and they seemed good, but their website doesn't really have much information.

And are you considering going to uniball for your lowers too?

How much did those run you, if you don't mind me asking? I heard about those guys somehwere on here and they seemed good, but their website doesn't really have much information.

And are you considering going to uniball for your lowers too?

They do great work. They're mostly into the prerunner stuff. If you're trying to get in touch with them, your best bet is to give them a call. The UCA ran me $600, which is pretty pricey, but I feel like it's totally worth it.

As far as the LCA's I'm looking into uniball lowers, but I'm thinking of waiting to see where I take the Explorer next. I'm hoping to ditch the Torsion bars next, so if I can get a built up LCA with uniballs I may just go that route and then beef up the shock tower for some coil-overs.

Back