• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Keeper's Explorer. Take two.

Welcome to my new registry. This is my 2000 Explorer XLT. Bought it from the original owner for $3,400. Came with the owners manual, and the paper work to prove it's been dealer maintained. When I purchased the Ex, it had 111,000 on the odometer, a small tear in the leather of the drivers seat, some sand in the back( take it the guy was a surfer, found a few surf board fins in the jack storage area). Gonna do a alignment when I get the chance, and start transferring all my mods from my Sport into this.

As she stands when I brought her home.

101_1666.jpg

101_1667.jpg

101_1668.jpg

101_1669.jpg

101_1670.jpg

How she currently stands.
102_0769.jpg

04/07/11

Current Mods:

Interior:

Exterior:

Lighting:
  • Sylvania Silverstars for the headlights.
  • x2 Hella 500 driving lights.
  • Fog light/ High beam mod.
  • LED Puddle lights, license plate lights.

Engine:4.0L SOHC

Suspension and Brakes

Drive Train

Projects for the future:
  • Quick disconnects for front and rear sway bar.
  • Possibly LS up front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

obie

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac 4x4
An Atlas II sounds like a good present!

mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
I should have my 2.0x6.5" Fox shocks for sale shortly :)

Keeper0311

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4x4
I should have my 2.0x6.5" Fox shocks for sale shortly :)

Well I'd like to call dibs on them once the time comes. :D

In other news...

These came in.

photo1_zps365a5be6.jpg

Took a few minutes to rib out the stock battery tray. Drill a few holes (four to be exact) and mount the whole thing in there.

photo2_zpsb9858da6.jpg

Glad to have a new battery, no more worries about the damn Explorer starting in the morning. It may be my imagination, but it feels that the idle has smoothed out a tad. Regardless I'm happy to have upgraded. Special thanks to Tbars4 for his informative threads. Helped out a ton. :salute:

obie

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac 4x4
Is that a Ballistic Fab battery tray? Which one is it?

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...Glad to hear you got what you were looking for and looks like you will be set for a while...:biggthump

..Just be careful with those ends on your cables though...The clamps will flex and loosen causing some other related issues in the future...;)

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
Outstanding Devil Dog! :salute:

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..I always new Maniak's ride would make it in their magazine...:p:

j/k...Congrats

Keeper0311

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4x4
Well my Rancho 5000's were finally dead. After 60,000 miles on two Explorers I figured it was time to retire them. So I got online and ordered a new set of Bilstein 4600's for under $330. They came in today...

photo_zps794ed20a.jpg

Y'all know the process. I'm glad I replaced/upgraded these are a marked improvement over new R5000, not to mention the worn out old ones.

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
Well my Rancho 5000's were finally dead. After 60,000 miles on two Explorers I figured it was time to retire them. So I got online and ordered a new set of Bilstein 4600's for under $330. They came in today...

photo_zps794ed20a.jpg

Y'all know the process. I'm glad I replaced/upgraded these are a marked improvement over new R5000, not to mention the worn out old ones.

Congrats. .now we should test them.:D

obie

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac 4x4
Nice, I've always wanted to try those and see if they're better than the Ranchos but the price has kept me away, and I don't know anybody around me who runs them. Let us know how they hold up offroading!

Keeper0311

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4x4
Well having run my Bilsteins for about a month, I gotta say I'm really pleased with them, really a massive improvement over Ranchos. I'd highly recommend them to anyone interested.

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
Good to hear. The longer I have the Ranchos the more I realize how stiff they are. I have plenty of control but i feel every little bump. I want Bilsteins for my truck but it has 6 shocks I don't think my bank account can handle that expense ha.

Keeper0311

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4x4
I'm looking into making an addition to my roof rack. My thinking is that I can use the roof rack rails to mount a length of PVC pipe about three inches in diameter in order to hold fishing poles out of the cabin. If any of you all would have leads on how I can complete this it would be much appreciated and cut down on my research time.