Kyle's 4406 T-Case swap! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kyle's 4406 T-Case swap!

no matter how much my friends pester me about getting a small car

???????????????????????????????????

time for different friends! friends should be supportive LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for the most part they are alright, but none of them do any kind of offroading.. i take that back, we took my friends newly purchased 97 gmc 3500 long bed crew cab dually 454 4wd out to a construction site but it was too big to maneuver around. it was like trying to drive a winnebago through a cow path.

I hate the AWD setup! I want my 4wd back. I cant wait to do the swap and get the gas milage back.

Very nice job on the swap. It looks like a factory install, and thats the way I like to do things. :thumbsup:

Same here!! I like to do my best at anything that I do! :) Feel real good when its done and I am happy with it. Can't wait to use 4 Lo on some rocks! I'll be in Moab for sure. Anyone else going for sure? May 30-31 is whats been decided for the 09' trip!

Fairmont, WV to Moab, UT
Total Estimated Time: 28 hours 7 minutes
Total Estimated Distance: 1846.80 miles

That would be 2 days of driving up, 2 days of hanging out with you guys, and 2 days of driving back. so 6 days, 5 hotel stays, food, drink, plus gas bc i would be driving the truck i would be wheelin. Count me out, sadly. I'm gonna have to try to find some local guys here to drive around with, im getting itchy wanting to do some light runs.

1846 miles one way.. I would have to do an oil change half way back home! lol

sweet.. i have like 6 extra pure-one filters i can bring. i can set up a stand to do oil changes for trucks running the trails and maybe jsut maybe make enough money for the trip back home lol

More deep snow tonight!! This time from it snowing more it was very deep. 4 Low came in handy a few times was great!!!!!!
Pics of my fun. And my roommates jeep with us to, pulled him out had that thing buried :)

DSCN8348.JPG

DSCN8352.JPG

DSCN8377.JPG

Almost up to the knees in some spots. Was a blast you can see the size of the trenches dug! :)
DSCN8362.JPG

Ditto, you all stay warm and safe up in the cold weather. This "Global Warming" is awful isn't it? Regards,

Will an unbalanced shaft vibrate at 70mph+? Or does an unbalanced shaft usually start before then? It didn't vibrate at all really when the front shaft wasn't in, could do 80-85 and was fine I have now finished the 4406 swap and the front and it vibrates at about 71+ And get worse in a hurry after that, 75 drives me crazy. Its just the style shaft that everyone has used, a standard U-joint on each end with a slip spline in the middle. Any input would be great guys, curious if it could be a balance problem.

double check your clearances? maybe something shifted slightly and you have a light rub, which could resonate and make it seem like a vibration? just some ideas, i know youve prbly already checked this but its all i can think of besides an unbalanced shaft which you got made brand new out of warranty, right?

did the speed sensor end up being in the rear or in the t case?i have a 01 and want to do this asap.my front drive shaft is on the way out.

My speed sensor is in the rear end. If yours is an 01 then it is in the rear and you have a much bigger range of years to find your T-Case!! :) It's been great worth every penny and hour!

Will an unbalanced shaft vibrate at 70mph+? Or does an unbalanced shaft usually start before then? It didn't vibrate at all really when the front shaft wasn't in, could do 80-85 and was fine I have now finished the 4406 swap and the front and it vibrates at about 71+ And get worse in a hurry after that, 75 drives me crazy. Its just the style shaft that everyone has used, a standard U-joint on each end with a slip spline in the middle. Any input would be great guys, curious if it could be a balance problem.

Any one have any ideas on this one? The ONLY thing left that I haven't replaced is the diff. Either that or I need a double cardon joint at the T-Case. Also one thing I forgot to mention above is It has NOTHING to do with load you can romp on it or get all out and it stays the exact same no change at all so it's not load related.

An out of balance driveshaft could vibrate at speed, throttle position having no effect could be a major clue. If removing the shaft cures the problem, then you may need to double check your shaft and u joints. If your front conversion joint isn't properly seated in the diff or the cups are not just right, it could cause problems. If the shaft is even slightly out of true (bent) that would cause it also. Wiggle the driveshaft to make sure the front diff pinion bearing doesn't wiggle, that would indicate that your diff is bad.

If everything above checks out- my suggestion: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Ditto Kyle, I'd keep looking at the front driveshaft. The one great attribute of the CV joint of the stock shafts is the smooth operation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it was bugging me that the truck vibrated even though it doesn't see much freeway anymore (I use my fiance's car.) So I when down mountaineers list again I have gone through it before, but guess not hard enough. I started withe pinion shaft its solid as a rock and no leaks anywhere on it the diff is bone dry. Fluid looks okay but could stand to be changed. Then that joint to the diff was fine but the one on the T-Case I had a little slop on the part that holds the shaft not the flange. Anyways called my six states dude and he siad that would be a high speed thing so I hurry and pulled it and took it to him and he said that can casue a chatter if there is a little play partly because the shaft isnt loaded all the time so he is going to work on it and triple check the flange and I'll pick it up tomorrow! :) Man this is the 6th front shaft that has been on this truck seven things if you count this repair. Haven't had good luck at all. Anyways will update on shaft tomorrow!

Back