Largest tires, can I do this?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Largest tires, can I do this??

Any pictures of a 3rd gen with 265/75 tires without a lift. I have an 06 Eddie and would like to put on the largest tire possible, without having to lift?

I had seen this on the forums, hope the owner doesn't mind me posting,
Picture040.jpg

This is the exact look I want to go for without a lift i.e wheels & tire look, is it possible. Thank you, and any ideas are appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's Roadbully. Those are 285's with a 3" lift. Click on the Elite Regitry link in my sig and you'll see pics my 05 EB on 265/75/16's with no lift.

Wow I really like those tires. How do they hold up on the snow? Are they good to use all year round ? And Would they fit an '06 EB without any modifications? Thanks.

hi, saw your ride and i love it.
i have an 02/expllorer/xlt/4x4/4.o/auto/stock suspension/stock wheels(16").
i want mine to look like yours.
i am thinking of 265/75/16 or 265/70/16, what size are you tires?
what issues do you have with braking, steering etc.
will they fit mwithout any rubbing?
thanks in advance!!!!!

hi, saw your ride and i love it.
i have an 02/expllorer/xlt/4x4/4.o/auto/stock suspension/stock wheels(16").
i want mine to look like yours.
i am thinking of 265/75/16 or 265/70/16, what size are you tires?
what issues do you have with braking, steering etc.
will they fit mwithout any rubbing?
thanks in advance!!!!!

** The picture in the original post (dated last year) is RoadBully's ride **

He is using 285/75/16 tires on Dick Cepek DC-1 rims with a -12mm offset. It's worth mentioning that in that picture, he is using a 3" body lift....he now also have a 3" RoadBully spacer lift for a total of 6" of lift...so the truck is a lot higher.

To answer your other question, yes you can fit 265/75's without a lift, on stock rims. However if you go with MT style tires, expect some rubbing while steering and possibly a little rubbing in the rear if you have running boards. If you go with AT style tires you should clear.

Keep searching around the forums, there are a few members here who have posted their stock X's on 265/75/16 tires.

Stock suspension, 265/75/16 DC Mud Country's. MILD rubbing at full lock.

HPIM1777.jpg

HPIM1769.jpg

Next is a Roadbully 2.25"x1.75" lift and 285/70/17's.

That is an awesome looking explorer, I have a 4th gen, and was wondering if you thought 265/75 r16's would fit. I don't know how different the suspension and wheel wells are between the model change. I'd appreciate any advice you could give me

I know this is an old thread, but i just wanted to thank everyone who contributed. Juts got a 2003 Ex XTL and this was very helpful info

I just saw this thread while I was researching if I could add larger tires to the '06 EB we just purchased. What a great improvement in curb appeal these bigger tires add! Just wanted to thank you for the information shared, however old it may be.

This is a very old thread.
You can add bigger tires but do your homework first, bigger tires will potentially rub on the fender wells and will also affect your speedometer and transmission shift points. Also increases wear and tear on your hubs when you replace a 35 lb tire with a 50 lb tire on each corner.
Not saying don't do it, just know what you're getting into.
Ford should have put 265/70/17's on them on day one, but probably tried to save money.
I have stock 245/65/17 Fortera's on mine right now.
Before winter will be upgrading, just a little, to a 31" tire, 245/70/17's either BFG KO2's or KM2's or maybe Falken ATW3 if the wallet won't allow the BFG's.

This is a very old thread.
You can add bigger tires but do your homework first, bigger tires will potentially rub on the fender wells and will also affect your speedometer and transmission shift points. Also increases wear and tear on your hubs when you replace a 35 lb tire with a 50 lb tire on each corner.
Not saying don't do it, just know what you're getting into.
Ford should have put 265/70/17's on them on day one, but probably tried to save money.
I have stock 245/65/17 Fortera's on mine right now.
Before winter will be upgrading, just a little, to a 31" tire, 245/70/17's either BFG KO2's or KM2's or maybe Falken ATW3 if the wallet won't allow the BFG's.
Don't know if anybody else has seen this however in my research I ran across a website where the Falken, bfgs and other brands in 245 65 r 17 for under $60.00 per tire new. Th is website name is (see attached link) https://www.claflar.top/index.php?route=product/search&search=Tires 245 65r17&description=true

Any pictures of a 3rd gen with 265/75 tires without a lift. I have an 06 Eddie and would like to put on the largest tire possible, without having to lift?

I had seen this on the forums, hope the owner doesn't mind me posting, View attachment 205145

This is the exact look I want to go for without a lift i.e wheels & tire look, is it possible. Thank you, and any ideas are appreciated.
Me two then I can do a small lift for fun whenever and still smile till then

Just saw this and thought I would add an update. I've been running 245-75/17 KO2s for about two years on stock rims, stock height, with no issues.

Back