Lean Code Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Arissett

Reaction score
City, State
Piscataway, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999, Explorer, XLT
I’ve had this lean code for awhile now. I’ve narrowed it down to what appears to be a vacuum leak but I want to share my trucks numbers just to confirm. I also want to share some weird stuff that’s been happening. So my long term bank 2 has been in the 20’s for awhile I’m assuming this is my lean code and my vacuum leak as it drops to about 15-18 when I drive. Are these O2 sensor readings healthy? When I’m driving they tend to fluctuate between -3 and 5-6. It does stay closer to 0 most of the time though. Bank 1 is confusing me because this actually just got out of wack today. I just started to seal my exhaust leak yesterday and now today bank 1 is positive. It’s always been at like 0.5-2. Also the check engine light has never turnt off and my numbers are definitely not correct but now both of my scanners are telling me I have no codes. UPDATE: My heat and ac now just come out the defroster and no longer through the vents.
IMG_0210.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may indeed have a vacuum leak

You may indeed have a vacuum leak

I read the forum you linked and I thank you because that’s definitely why my ac and heat don’t work right but I’ve had system lean on bank 2 at 20% for awhile before this ever happened. This ac stuff just happened today out of the blue. Do you have any idea what that could be?

Have you checked fuel pressure?

Could be low fuel pressure. Could be bottom fuel injector o rings leaking air. Could be intake gasket leak on driver side.

Which engine is this ?

Have you checked fuel pressure?

Could be low fuel pressure. Could be bottom fuel injector o rings leaking air. Could be intake gasket leak on driver side.

Which engine is this ?
5.0 1999 XLT Explorer

Might be time to do an intake smoke test to find the vac leak.

Low fuel pressure can cause a lean condition but the HVAC coming out the defrost is typically a vac leak which can cause all this by itself so I would focus on looking for a vac leak first.

check the hose that runs from the front of the intake manifold to the evap cannister, under the battery. These are prone to rot and get leaks.

Also the egr valve can develop a leak
Or intake plenum gaskets
Or
Pcv valve popped out of its hole.
Check fuel pressure first should be 64 psi +/-

Also the egr valve can develop a leak
Or intake plenum gaskets
Or
Pcv valve popped out of its hole.
Check fuel pressure first should be 64 psi +/-
Thank you will keep noted

Back