LED Turn Signal Mod | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Turn Signal Mod

Willing to bet 99.999% of inspections stations can't tell the difference between an LED blinker bulb and incandescent...................................
I don't know about those officials running inspection stations as it isn't something we have here. I believe it is quite easy to tell the difference between a flashing LED and incandescent bulb. The LED has a sharp ON/OFF signature whereas an incandescent bulb by its very nature requires a filament to heat up and cool off resulting in a less definitive ON/OFF signature.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found them ! 3156/3157 CAN Bus LED Bulb - Dual Function 30 SMD LED Tower - Wedge Base | Super Bright LEDs Street legal. Not marked for off road use only. Unlike the Sylvania/Zevo LED turn signal replacement bulbs, these have LEDs in the dome in addition to the sides. The rearward illumination is dynamite. They are CAN Bus compatible. No hyper flash on 4-way. Rt and LF only the dash indicators. I will have my tuner shut that off with the forscan.
IMG_20200409_172826.jpg

IMG_20200409_172453.jpg

Do they have the DOT branded on them? Seems highly suspicious one of the things listed ISN’T DOT approval.

JUST AN FYI, there is no DOT approval. DOT does not test nor certify any automotive light bulbs. DOT has a standard set, it is up to the manufacturer of the bulb to meet that standard and if they do, they can print the DOT approval. But nothing is ever sent or tested by the DOT

Fair enough. But if they met the criteria, I’d think it’d surely be touted.

Do they have the DOT branded on them? Seems highly suspicious one of the things listed ISN’T DOT approval.
I just went with their response to my query. At least the darn pkging doesn't have off road use only in big red letters like the Sylvania ones do.

JUST AN FYI, there is no DOT approval. DOT does not test nor certify any automotive light bulbs. DOT has a standard set, it is up to the manufacturer of the bulb to meet that standard and if they do, they can print the DOT approval. But nothing is ever sent or tested by the DOT
Never was sure how that worked. I simply asked if their bulbs were street legal. They said yes. We have some dick head DA's in my area. One need only look at the debacle in Waco, TX a few years ago. All those bikers charged and then, all the charges dropped. Just CMA.

Never was sure how that worked. I simply asked if their bulbs were street legal. They said yes. We have some dick head DA's in my area. One need only look at the debacle in Waco, TX a few years ago. All those bikers charged and then, all the charges dropped. Just CMA.
All the charges were dropped because Abel Reyna bit off more than he could chew

So..... to revisit this thread - and to avoid the DOT banter --- Looking for real use and if anyone successfully installed and recommend a LED replacement for the rear turns?

So..... to revisit this thread - and to avoid the DOT banter --- Looking for real use and if anyone successfully installed and recommend a LED replacement for the rear turns?
Post 62?
Thought I'd check to see what my Aviator has but the Manual just says all lights are LED, not serviceable and to see your dealer.

Peter

Post 62?
Thought I'd check to see what my Aviator has but the Manual just says all lights are LED, not serviceable and to see your dealer.

Peter
Correct the Aviator does have LED units, the Explorer does not. :)

Back