Lexus RX350 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lexus RX350

bmaez01

Reaction score
Has anyone considered the RX350 during their shopping experience? I was at the Ford Dealership today looking at the Edge when I seen the Explorer Limited and I have to admit that it is a great looking vehicle with a lot of options. Now I'm comparing the Explorer with the RX.

Don't know if they are two totally different types of SUV but my main concern is ride quality. I need to be able to drive long distances without feeling like I've been run through the ringer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The RX may be a good vehicle but it's ugly as hell, IMO.
Not sure where they were going with the design. It's so out of proportion.

EDIT: actually, I think the new Edge is one of the best automotive designs. I like to compare it to the iMac among computers. No unnecessary lines, clean, simple.

EDIT: actually, I think the new Edge is one of the best automotive designs. I like to compare it to the iMac among computers. No unnecessary lines, clean, simple.

I second the Edge comment, just needed third row or we would be driving one.

Has anyone considered the RX350 during their shopping experience? I was at the Ford Dealership today looking at the Edge when I seen the Explorer Limited and I have to admit that it is a great looking vehicle with a lot of options. Now I'm comparing the Explorer with the RX.

Don't know if they are two totally different types of SUV but my main concern is ride quality. I need to be able to drive long distances without feeling like I've been run through the ringer.
Can't say for sure but I would think that the RX would have a little smoother (softer) ride. I've driven Highlanders ('02, '06 & '09) for the past 10 years and I would say that the Ex has a little firmer ride than the Highlander which I believe has the same unibody frame and engine as the RX. I personally have never cared for the shape of the RX (sloping back end) and that was one reason I stuck with the Highlanders. Also, I believe they recommend the use of premium fuel in the RX even though the Highlander uses regular.

I've been doing long commutes in my EX and I like it better all the time. The ride is smooth and comfortable, the seats are great and the cabin quiet. I like it much better than my mdx.

I'll admit- I loved the Edge first gen, and like the new front even more.

I liked the new Ex, but it isn't aging as well for me. I really, really like the look of the Edge. The front of the Ex looks "overdone" if that makes sense. I'll still own one, but I wish it had a simpler front end design. I just can't get into liking the grille. :dunno:

But- next to the RX, the Ex looks like a supermodel next to Rosie O'Donnell.

+1 Ugly as hell.

My fiance and I just drove one last week (we could've gotten one at a really good price used), and it drives REALLY nice. Don't get me wrong, I love my EX, and it drives great, but IMO it's like comparing a suit to a tuxedo.....

Rx350

My wife has a 2008 RX350. We purchased it new. I do not like it but it is her "dream" car. Way over priced and uses 91 octane for "peek" performance. It runs fine on 89. Dealer costs are very expensive for 5000 mile maintenance. She has about 33k on it and it hasn't been a problem. I am now doing the work on the car and it is not to bad to work on. I would not buy another because of the price. It just isn't worth it.

My parents own a 2011 RX350 every option but HUD. The ride quality is ungodly smooth and refined. Build quality is great too. My mom got 26k from the dealer trading in her 6 year old RX so they hold their value too.

I have a 2011 EX Ltd 302 package, 4wd and my wife drives a 2007 RX350. I never enjoyed traveling in the RX350 because I get a leg and back ache after several miles. I cannot get into a driving postion that prevents it. I felt that the the 2011 RX would be more comfortable for me, but we both felt that it took bumps rougher than her 2007. Also, I replaced the orginal Michelan tires with a cheap brand and the ride went down hill, the new tires take bumps much rougher. The Michelans wore out after 39,000 miles, supposedly because they were very soft to give a good ride.

We have been very happy with the RX350 and the service provided by Lexus and the local toyota dealer.

I like my Explorer better, of course. The design and features seem just as good to me. The ability to postion the pedal, steering wheel and seat allow me to get in very comfortable postions. It doesn't take bumps any better than the Lexus even though it is larger and heavier.

Bottom line, I wouldn't give up my EX for a Lexus and my wife wouldn't give up her RX350 for and Explorer. She likes that smaller size of the RX also.

Hope this helps

I'm trading in my '99 RX300 (I've had it since 2003) when my Ex arrives, and I love the RX (currently has just under 170,000 miles and still going pretty strong), but one of our key features this time around was the third row of seats and no mini-van. The new RXs have a lot of features that I like, but no third row and I don't have $70K to put into the GX4 series.

We looked at the Highlander and Pilot, too. The Highlander had no Latch connections in the third row so it was quickly eliminated. The Ex Limited vs. Pilot Touring Edition was close, but the Ex just looks so much nicer and drives better and while the MFT may have a learning curve, at least it's not like hunting and pecking through all the buttons on the Pilot's console....

Appreciate everyone's opinions. The Explorer is a great looking ride with lots of features and has really gotten me to consider a Ford for the first time. I think my biggest decision now is whether or not I'm willing to start making car payments again.

Back