Lift for 3rd gen - Coilsprings.com | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift for 3rd gen - Coilsprings.com

Has anyone that used the coil springs from coilsprings.com noticed a stiffer ride? I'm planning on ordering some but I just want to make sure that it won't affect my ride quality too much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone that used the coil springs from coilsprings.com noticed a stiffer ride? I'm planning on ordering some but I just want to make sure that it won't affect my ride quality too much.

Did you order them yet? How many inches are you planning on? Front or rear or both?

I'll give you an update in the difference in ride from the oem springs after I get them and have them swapped.

That wheel and tire combo looks awesome, can't wait to see everything all done up! :thumbsup:

Did you order them yet? How many inches are you planning on? Front or rear or both?

I'll give you an update in the difference in ride from the oem springs after I get them and have them swapped.

No I haven't ordered them yet but I'm planning on maybe 2.5 or 3 up front and 1 in back if my budget allows. How many inches did you go and what did you pay for it?

No I haven't ordered them yet but I'm planning on maybe 2.5 or 3 up front and 1 in back if my budget allows. How many inches did you go and what did you pay for it?

It cost me $245, $271 total with shipping to CA. Mine's a 2wd with the V8. I did 3" in the front only. I'll see how I like that and go from there.

Man these explorers all look great, exactly what i've been looking for. I think i'm gunna go with the 2" front coil springs as so as possible, and does the 2-3 inch front lift effect gas milage or anything?

The only reason a lift would affect gas mileage is due to decreased aerodynamics. I'm sure it is minimal though. But bigger tires that go with a lift will decrease gas mileage.

that makes sense, with the 2" front lift what size tires could i get without having to worry about rubbing

a few of the members are running 265-75-R16's and they did the coil spring lift

Quote from sticky Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts Serious Explorations > Repair - Tech - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Ford Explorer - Ranger Tires & Wheel via Joe93

2002-2005 Ford Explorers
No Lift - 32x10.50 or equivelent in Metric Measurements on Stock Wheels (265/75/R16 or 265/70/R17) - no modification needed!

Can anyone confirm that the springs will allow for slightly larger tires?

I run 265/70/r17... w/1.5 lift only. I think the 3" might stress the suspension, I don't. But we also have to keep in mind that driving habits will need to monitored until we're comfortable with the lift and larger tires. I think a lot of input from people like Mounty71 and anyone lifted could probably really help out.

Quote from sticky Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts Serious Explorations > Repair - Tech - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Ford Explorer - Ranger Tires & Wheel via Joe93

2002-2005 Ford Explorers
No Lift - 32x10.50 or equivelent in Metric Measurements on Stock Wheels (265/75/R16 or 265/70/R17) - no modification needed!

I edited that post to show this thread as an option.

that makes sense, with the 2" front lift what size tires could i get without having to worry about rubbing

u can run 265/75/16 stock with no problems and i have a set of these on the front of mine with the 2" lift

2456765_44_full.jpg

if u want to know tire size diameter in inches i can give u an equation to plug in the metric sizes

yeah an equation would be great. About how much should an install of these coils cost?

yeah an equation would be great. About how much should an install of these coils cost?

i worked in a car shop so the guys did it for me and it took about an hour and a half...

if you have any tire size u can get its diameter with this equation

[tire width][aspect ratio (as a percent)]=[][.03937(to convert to inches)]=[][2(to get above and below the rim)]=[] + 16 (rim size)

so a 245/75/16 would be....
[245][.75]=183.75
[183.75][.03937]= 7.2
[7.2][2]=14.4
14.4 + 16 = 30.4 inches

That equation alone is worthy of being a sticky! Thanks bigapple.

That would just be too logical Colin. Geez!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm confused ... how do you lift the rear in these IRS Gen 3's ?????

Back