• Register Today It's free!

Lift Planning & Bigger Boots

Iceking007

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello need some help and advice have a prety much stock 91 Explorer 2dr Sport 4.0L V6 (pushrod) 5spd man with T-case and Hubs all Std locking. A mechanic friend of mine used to work for Ford said these T-cases are week and if I put bigger tires on it is sure to blow. I am planning a 5" with 33X13.5X15 Toyo's is there any thing I need to do to the Case Tranny Diffs ect?? Any goodies or upgrades or things you guys sudgest?
Thanks very much, also my eyes are going square from all the info out there I know I have the Mazda car Trany wich sounds stupid what T-Case do I have and what are my ratios? and what are the diff ratios? I know they are the D35 and Ford 8.8 Thank you!:thumbsup:

Take a look at the Explorer Specs page from www.explorer4x4.com (http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/). That will have your axle codes and transfer case ratios, etc.

Your ford mechanic friend didn't know what he was talking about. The transfer case and transmission you have are fine for more than 33's. You'll see a lot of people swapping from the automatic to the manual transmission that you have, and the manual shift transfer case is a coveted item on this forum. The weak link is auto hubs, which you don't have either...

Alright I appreciate that so good news I'll leave the T-Case and Tranny alone till she goes...

Back