Lifting your explorer to clear larger tires- | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifting your explorer to clear larger tires-

Can an 01 V8 AWD be lifted? I was told, "no".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

unless that is a typo, Hell no!!! at the max you can fit 33s, and even then you have to trim the fenders
So could 32's fit my 97 ex 5.0 xlt? I know that 31's fit. My 93 explorer eb is an attestment to that. The 31's are really nice, but 32's would really make it nicer! What say you? Thanks in advance!

Does anyone have PIAA xtreme white plus or sylvania cool blue? if u do which one is better and brighter

New to this

I've Got a 97 Explorer XLT can i use the PA body Lift for the ranger? If so would i have to swap out some parts?
Thanks

So could 32's fit my 97 ex 5.0 xlt? I know that 31's fit. My 93 explorer eb is an attestment to that. The 31's are really nice, but 32's would really make it nicer! What say you? Thanks in advance!

Yep, torsion twist and shackles will fit 32x11.5s on any 2nd gen explorer, no matter the trim level/etc.

Does anyone have PIAA xtreme white plus or sylvania cool blue? if u do which one is better and brighter

Yes I have the wrong thread lights, they are much brighter than the other wrong thread lights, so i'd recommend getting them from the wrong thread store.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

I've Got a 97 Explorer XLT can i use the PA body Lift for the ranger? If so would i have to swap out some parts?
Thanks

That's what everyone is using. Bumper brackets are wrong though.

here is my stock 1998 ford explorer it has stock tires and everything. now tomorrow i will get a pic of the same explorer with a tt/shackle lift and 31/10.5 r15

got the new home made shackles on today. once i got done breaking drill bits and burning up a drill, buying a new drill press and drill bits, they looked great even before i got them on. On to the stats.....i got 1.9 inches of lift out of the tortion bars and right at 1.75 out of the shackles. the explorer does still have that nose in the air look to it but not as bad as when it was stock. now on to the tool list.....i use a 6 ton bottle jack(way over kill)and the stock jack(ford needs to rethink these),and two cresent wrenches(just because i did not have the 22 or 23 mm socket that it needed) .i went down to fastenel and got new bolts,nut,and washers. altogether i am only in the lift for $40(WELL $39.85)that is if you take out the cost of two drill bits and a drill press.

I need to lift my truck so i can fit 33's. and i want a good 4in sepension lift where can i find one?

where to find a lift kit.

Where can i find a lift kit for a 1996 2dr 4x4?

F-series Leaf spring swap???

Has anyone ever measured the width of the F-series truck leafsprings? I would think that if they are the same width then you could swap secondary or helper springs; I would think that the main/longest spring, which bolts to mount and shackle, are too long BUT if other shorter/support leafs could be swapped then why not use this lift style instead of droopy hang-down shackle? - Other than the simplicity -- I have added leafs to the back of '97 4dr 4wd but I want to go leaf over axle without having to get drop down brackets in front. So, I am thinking I could use my main spring and a couple F-150's to be stable and not spongy-sagg ass.

Dont Give Up!

I have a 97 4dr. How much lift do you want? what size tires do you want to fit? there ar many options. do you want suspension lift? body lift? I dont recommend drop down kits since theyre a couple grand, I can help get you around that. So, how high. what tires? -oh hey, why is the canadian flag a leaf? I dont mean to be funny, I really want to knw why a red and white maple leaf??? thanks Mike

Hi Mike, I want 15x8 or 15 x10 inch wheels on 32 x 11.5 as I find these to be the nicest combo of looking 'correct' to my eye. I have looked into suspension kits and they seem an unreasonable $ for 14-15 year old explorers. Unsure why. I have the 2dr which is a ranger underneath. I have always understood that if you get a body lift it is dangerous because when you have a crash it can literally be pushed off (have owned 8 jeeps and that crowd is against them) I digress - so I want to off road it with either BFG A/t's or M/t's. I now think TT up front and replacing the leaf pack out back with another set that will give me 2 inches + the 2 inch I would get up front - I think that (so far) is the best way to go - keep in mind I have no flares on mine.
38698480001_medium.jpg

Best susp kit I have found:
http://4wheelonline.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=20942&ProductId=66084

I am interested in what you think.

As for the Canadian flag: It represent every province since all of the provinces have maple leaf trees. (95% of the worlds Maple Syrup comes from Canada) The maple leaf finally became the central national symbol with the introduction of the Canadian flag (suggested by George F. G. Stanley and sponsored by M.P. John Matheson) in 1965, which uses a highly-stylized eleven-pointed maple leaf, referring to no specific species of maple. Earlier official uses of a maple leaf design often used over 30 points and a short stem. The one chosen is a generic maple leaf representing the ten species of maple tree native to Canada—at least one of these species grows natively in every province.

I have your solution

First, I have 97 4dr 4wd which I did a tortion twist on the front. what I see overlooked on all these threads is that when you do this the length from your sway bar to swing arm will increase so what you have to do is match up longer sway bar end links - thats the 11-12" bushing connector from sway bar down to a-frame on suspension. Further, go to spidertrax.com which makes real, race-application wheel spacers. this will help to push out the rim to have the turn radius sizing with new tires. Next, I added leafs to the back to add about 2inches in the back, but if you can get to a salvage yard and measure the width of your leaf springs to match and swap out with 5-10year old F-150 leafs. DONT CHANGE MAIN LEAF, only second and third leaf. - and you'll scrap your overload spring since the Fseries will hold more weight. When youre bolting back on: (1) get rid of your rear sway bar, (2) move rear shocks to bolt on at sway bar connection points on axle, then (3) use 1/4" steel plate as base plate for your leaf springs. This extra work will gain more ground clearance and "clean up" under neath. Lastly, if needed, on the sport model you can look at the wheel well fender seams; where it swells outward right at the tire; you have about 2-2 1/4 inches that you can mark, trim, fold, and increase wheel well radius approximately 4" to keep from rubbing your tires. - let me know if I didnt explain this well I'll try again. BUT done correctly this looks very professional and "like the factory made it this way." - - -You should be able to fit 32's but if you want more lift to fit 33's you can place/add hockey pucks at body mounts and replace old bolts/nuts with GRADE 8. - -VIOLA! 33's on your sport! - for less than...$200-$300 TOTAL! :)

Emember that when doing suspension lifts like the tt will settle down some over time, so you won't necessarily end up with your calculated lift.

Wow - this is great guys. Thank you so much. I get mine back from the mechanics tomorrow so I am excited about that. (fuel pump) I seem to have much more of a plan now. I think the 32's will be good enough for what I do - if I go to 33's I prob will have to change gears front and rear in the diff's.

I am looking for suspension lifts for both the 1999 and 1994 explorer xlt's cheap as possible any leads let me know.

I new to this i have a 97 xlt plan on putting shackes and a tt/ and a 3'' bd then running 33x12.50 tires (of coarse might need to do some trimming) questions is is it the PA 853 or PA 883 body lift kit for a ranger i can use and

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recently recieved a free 95 explorer sport with 40k miles. Since my current wheeler is a 87 Bronco II ive had since 2001, I have decided to retire the bronco II (~260k miles) and put my wheels, tires, 4 door explorer leafs on the sport. The problem is I'm not clear if i should use the 883 or 853 body lift. I will also be trying to bolt my hanson winch bumper (originally an xj bumper) on to this truck. The bronco has 32 inch Cooper STT's. But for now 883 or 853?

Back