Looking at a new(er) EX, opinions please. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at a new(er) EX, opinions please.

alexk

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Limited
I had an offer on mine today but before I accept I wanted to find something first. I looked at this, they want $10,900 out the door. It has everything I wanted except the 6 disc CD changer, but I dont listen to CD's I just prefer that looks of that one.

If anyone would know the wholesale price on this, that would help me out alot.

http://www.pinebeltchryslerjeep.net...tm?vehicleId=ad7ab1f54046381e01c519e2df4fea88

explorerxlt2004.jpg

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems a tad bit expensive for having no leather... smaller v6 engine and fairly high mileage.

I thought the same thing about the engine but when I drove it, it was definatly faster than my v8. I also would prefer cloth over my unheated leather I have now. I thinking I might just go in tell them $8000 cash take it or leave it. Because Im perfectly happy in mine (finally! lol) but I was offered $7500 for mine so I feel kinda stupid to turn it down.

Um...huh????

yeah, wasnt expecting it at all either. I got in and when I hit the gas it shot off. Leads me to believe either A) There is either something wrong with mine or it needs some kind of maintenance. B) The guy who traded it on a new jeep did some kind of mods to it before.

mine is an 03 XLS and i got mine with 61,000 on it last august...

i walked away all said and done for 10,000... i think 10900 is a bit high considering its roughly 40,000 miles high on mileage and its newer... id say no higher than 8500 $$$ then figure the add on tax tag and crap...

and before i thought about driving it off the lot... detail that thing...

yeah it needs to be cleaned it was just traded.

i'd say work em a little. i just bought my xlt, everything except the cd changer for 8299 with 78k on the clock.

price is high for high mileage and little features.

for comparison, last year I paid 11500 out the door for my 2003 Mounty AWD V8 with htd leather seats, dual power seats, moonroof, msg center, memory seats, power pedals, audiophile sound system, Dual auto climate control, remote start, and 3rd row with 57K on the clock.

10900 out the door by me gets you something like this

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...onal&paId=316997430&recnum=13&leadExists=true

That cars link doesnt work for me BUT heres something I just discovered.

The price is $9495, they were telling me it was 11K. They also wanted my trade and were willing to give me a whole $3900 for it (I think they wanted me to do cash for clunkers, but I wouldnt be caught dead in a sebring or PT cruiser.) Im going in tomorrow and I am not holding back, they wanna play dirty well I'll play and I'm not holding back.

My original math was a little off and it was really $11,595 out the door. Thats MORE than me paying the $9495 plus the taxes and all the fees. Everyone tells me to stay away from this dealer, specifically my parents who they attempted to screw over twice but it didnt work. For example they tried to charge my mom an extra $8000 on a brand new trailblazer.

I'd sell you my explorer for 8 grand!!! Keep looking and you will find something better for your money.

That cars link doesnt work for me BUT heres something I just discovered.

The price is $9495, they were telling me it was 11K. They also wanted my trade and were willing to give me a whole $3900 for it (I think they wanted me to do cash for clunkers, but I wouldnt be caught dead in a sebring or PT cruiser.) Im going in tomorrow and I am not holding back, they wanna play dirty well I'll play and I'm not holding back.

My original math was a little off and it was really $11,595 out the door. Thats MORE than me paying the $9495 plus the taxes and all the fees. Everyone tells me to stay away from this dealer, specifically my parents who they attempted to screw over twice but it didnt work. For example they tried to charge my mom an extra $8000 on a brand new trailblazer.

It is quite common for dealers to give you a different price on the lot then what the internet price is. The dealer lot asking price for my mounty was 12,995. I simply told them it was on Cars.com for 9995 and they looked it up and went off that price no problem.

i haver the same ex as the one you are looking at and i had 79k on it when i got i and i paid 7000 out the door and on the road i think that this one is a bit over priceded

i haver the same ex as the one you are looking at and i had 79k on it when i got i and i paid 7000 out the door and on the road i think that this one is a bit over priceded

if your info under your name is correct, then you have a V8 which iirc was a 2-3K option when new.

Well Ill just give an update. I went there this morning and the place was a joke. The saleswaoman was great Ive known her for a long time she wouldnt sell me anything bad. The manager was a problem, the biggest dick I ever met.

Originally when I went in I got a price for my trade just to see how much they would give me. They said $3900, I said Ill sell it myself for the $7500 offer I got. Go back today and the manager says I wanna see your trade to see if I can work out a better deal with you. I said whatever here are the keys. Well a half hour goes by I say I would like my keys back and a price because Im ready to leave. The sales woman got up and he came over. I shook his hand. Then I asked him in a firm voice (firm enough to know Im serious buy not enough to come off as an a$$hole) where are my keys. His response was Do you want to make a deal or not? I told him yeah once I get my keys back. He said well here is the price take it or leave it. And the price was... $9495 out the door. They were going to save me the $695 cleaning fee (which Ive never even heard of before).

I ended up stopping at this little car dealership onthe way home and looked at another 02. its got less miles than mine and I will end up making some money on it. IDK about it yet. There is no warranty but if anything goes wrong in the first couple months they will fix it for free , Ill just have to pay the wholesale price for parts. Right now its an option if this guy really does show up to buy mine.

I'd take your trade $$$ and run. Don't get another '02 either. If you had good luck, consider yourself lucky. The 2002 model year seems to be one of the more problematic ones for any Explorer.

Already people have illustrated that here are much better deals out there. If you really want a new Ex, wait for a deal on a '03+ as a minimum.

I bought my 2002 explorer XLS w/ leather seats and premium radio for $8k with only 38k miles from the original owner. I'm now at 60k miles and have had 0 problems with the the truck.

Case in point, the price on that ex was too much

celly I didnt really want wnother 02 (that why I was looking at 04-05 originally) but I was thinking even if I ended up with another 02 explorer with less miles (I would lose the v8 though) with $1500 in my pocket and when something goes wrong I just pay for parts that wouldnt be bad.

Hitchhikingmike, I knew it wasnt worth it. There are cheaper ones out there, I think I only wanted this one so I could buy it from this saleswoman because I have known her for a long time. But Im sorry Im not going to support a dealer where the manager treats me like crap.

If this guy doesntshow up Im just going to stick with my original plan of adding $300 a month to my new car fund and then but a brand new one at the end of 2011.

Back