• Register Today It's free!

Loss of Blower Speed Settings

Nuke001

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
OK, here is an odd one . . . hopefully not to odd so as not to have a solution :)

Have had a 2006 Explorer XLT for a few months now and when we got it, the 1st setting on the blower did not seem to engage the fan although settings 2, 3 and 4 all worked as they should.

Then about 3 weeks ago, the #2 setting stopped engaging the blower and only setting 3 and 4 worked.

Last weekend, it is down to setting #4 with the other three settings clicking but not really blowing any air.

Any thoughts as to what the cause is . . . checked the fuse under the hood and it was OK . . . did not pull the blower relay but since setting #4 works, I did not think that was the cause.

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, here is an odd one . . . hopefully not to odd so as not to have a solution :)

Have had a 2006 Explorer XLT for a few months now and when we got it, the 1st setting on the blower did not seem to engage the fan although settings 2, 3 and 4 all worked as they should.

Then about 3 weeks ago, the #2 setting stopped engaging the blower and only setting 3 and 4 worked.

Last weekend, it is down to setting #4 with the other three settings clicking but not really blowing any air.

Any thoughts as to what the cause is . . . checked the fuse under the hood and it was OK . . . did not pull the blower relay but since setting #4 works, I did not think that was the cause.

Thanks in advance
Not odd at all, sounds like a straight up blower resistor failure. I've seen the part for the basic non-automatic air conditioning system for under $20. The ones with automatic climate control are around 70 or $80 from what I've seen. Easy fix

Which ever one your model uses is very likely the problem. Its normally mount near the blower motor under the dash.

mine lost speed 3.... the worst one to lose.... 4 is too loud and 1 and 2 dont do crap..... mid way through 2007 they changed the design.... you are lucky with 2006.... i have a 2007 and needed to look up my build date "mine was built in january 2007" ..... the late 2007 and up part almost costs 4x as much.... mine on ebay $8..... had it changed in under 30mins with lots of back pain

Great information and spot on . . . . opted to get the replacement at Auto Zone and it cost all of $25. The hardest part was squeezing into the opening to get the screws back in - taking it apart was a snap. Even with the trip to Auto Zone, it was a 45 minute job and the blower works like a champ once again.

Thanks for all the help!

Back