Lower Ball Joint Replacement How To (lots of Pictures) | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lower Ball Joint Replacement How To (lots of Pictures)

The ones that i have had the best of luck with are AC Delco chassis parts they are made by spicer to the specs by ACDelco and they are much stronger and last longer than the motorcraft. my last set of moogs lasted bout 2 years and i don't off road with my explorer anymore moog is junk and its a pia to try and warranty them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford Dealership Determined Lower Ball Joint Replacement

Greetings,

This is my first post. After reading many posts to solve problems, decided to finally begin posting many successful repairs as I go and other idiot mistakes I have made with this vehicle over the past 7 years.

Have done much to this machine in my garage with photos--replaced engine in 2004, replaced transmission in 2005, shocks, brakes on third set, front wheel bearings, heater hot/cold blender vent, intake manifold gaskets, oxygen sensors, etc., etc.. After 1 year of ownership and 1 month after "Jiffy Lube" emptied my engine coolant and let me drive off overheating badly---flippin engine threw a connecting rod end cap out side of block, found on top of transmission!

Have finally hit the Grand Daddy of fixes: Correcting excessive wear on front tires inner side of which has been going on since 2003.

Historical:

1.) In 2003, purchased vehicle used from BBC Dodge in Burien, WA. Vehicle at that time had about 75K. Front inside wall of tires had been worn until the steel threads shown. Did not see this when purchasing vehicle. Sales person was a jerk---right on signing, he bumped price up $200 and said take it or leave it.

2.) Replaced tires in 2003, began to immediately wear in same way. Ford Dealer provide quote of about $1,000 to replace all ball joints and upper control arms. I chose not to do this.

3.) That set of tires wore out, is now 2010, on second set of which are about gone as a result of front tire wear as before. Every Winter since 2006, have gone with studded snow tires---have seen no unusual wear with these tires, not sure why (height of tire maybe).

4.) Spring and Summer 2010, the Ford Dealership and Les Schwaab both recommended ball joint replacement $800 to $1,000.

5.) Fall 2010 (two days ago), replaced both upper control arm/ball joint assembly and both lower ball joints using tool loan from AutoZone and Duralast parts. By the way---never use the "OEM" brand of tools or go with "Duralast" parts. Will explain why later:

On replacing all ball joints, found the lower ball joints to have no play what so ever, the upper ball joints had some play (not major), all boots for lower ball joints tightly sealed with stainless steel clamping type of ring.

So---my thoughts are, the ball joints have had nothing or little to do with the tire wear on inside. On further research across this forum---have found numerous posts where the exact same situation was found: Shop recommends almost a complete front end rebuild to correct odd tire wear, guy rebuilds it himself all with "Moog" and tires still wear oddly.

Solution so far, (wish I spotted this before)---the "ride height" has dropped due to play developed through torsion bars. Fix is to increase ride height by raising vehicle then tightening the torsion bar adjustment bolts.

Am kicking myself for not determining this BEFORE hacking away with the ball joint replacement.

Regardless, new ball joints in at 159K is probably a good idea.

Now for the "Duralast" brand and "OEM" brand. Absolutely low quality no question about it.

The lower ball joints are Duralast. The following was found:

1.) On one of the brand new lower ball joints, the grease fitting would not allow grease to pass into joint. Had to use different grease fitting which worked.

2.) The most terrible form of quality: The boots. The Duralast brand did not tightly fix the boot to the ball joint shaft and upper casing covering this joint which is sensitive grit, salt and water. Absolutely lousy. When I inspected it, did not see a tight seal, boot slipped on and off. Thought it would tight up on install. No way, in fact, the boot would not stay in place on both of the joints. The sales guy from Autozone was speechless. I determined Duralast as a brand to avoid always. My guess is that the Moog brand tightly fixes those boots the the lower ball joint. It is an extra step in manufacturing left out by the lifeless name of "Duralast" to save themselves money selling cheaper parts. No wonder the lower Duralast ball joint was only $20.

The OEM tools are terrible. The 250-ft/lb torque wrench from AutoZone would not ratchet properly or lock in place and slipped ever time. The metric socket flopped around on the end of the 1/2" drive. Very bad. Insist on Sears Craftsman tools or better which immediately excludes "OEM" tools.

Will be at Les Schwaab this Wednesday to swap tires (going to the studded snow tires).

Tomorrow will be checking the ride height and adjusting following a post from this forum.

Lesson in this: The shops primarily wish to help you empty your bank account into their own by replacing an entire set of parts to correct a symptom. A brand name such as "Moog" or "Duralast" means nothing---look at that part closely before leaving store! Is it the right one of course, look at the quality in particular when part has articulated components such as a ball joint...when components which are to seal from water, grit and all else plop off as with the Duralast lower ball joint, this is of course not good. And last of all, never ever take your vehicle into a Jiffy Lube for anything done. 7 years ago an idiot working there was changing the transmission fluid, revved engine to pump out the fluid, did not like the overflow of coolant on ground as the engine got hot while he revved it to 6 grand so he---completely drained the radiator and continued to rev!!! Brainless wonder lube tech told me all of this when I called Jiffy Lube after driving 1 to 2 miles away with NO COOLANT with the engine super heated, month later, threw a rod, Jiffy Lube refused to pay for engine replacement, did not sue and paid $1,000 for used engine with 47K at wrecking yard and dropped it in myself.

Thanks for writing this thread and for the pics. Made doing my lower ball joints much easier and only cost me about $35 in parts. After whacking out the ball joints with 3 or 4 swift blows from a 20 oz ball pien hammer, I didn't have time to go rent a press to put them back in, so I used the jack method under the control arm methond. A tip is that I used a short piece of 2 1/4 thick exhaust pipe to put over the ball joint while pressing it back in. It fit perfectly around the lip of the ball joint and over/ outside the rubber boot. I recommend cleaning out the hole in the lower control arm really well with a wire brush before pressing the ball joint in. I also added some penetrating oil and this helped it go in relatively easily.

Historical Details of Ball Joint Replacement

Thanks, used a torch on the lower control arm and froze new lower ball joint, slipped in quite easily. Completed a right up for my own records, did not completely edit for accuracy, yet general ideas are there:

1.) Two days before work, spray all nuts and bolts to be loosened with PB blaster penetrating fluid.

2.) Disconnected battery negative terminal.

3.) Removed cap over lug nuts, loosened lug nuts, losen axel nut (could be 31-mm, used 32-mm socket). Be sure in park and brake set tightly, rear wheels blocked.

4.) Raised vehicle using Craftsman floor jack, placed 4”x8” block of wood on jack, situated under front cross member and raised slowly. When high enough, placed two of the 6-ton jack stands under framing along outer edge of vehicle under brackets (should place piece of pipe inside bracket to prevent bending of bracket). Placing those jack stands under front cross-member like so many of us do I found to be unstable as jack stands are not far enough apart from each other, vehicle more easily can rock and slip off. Under front cross member found to be too dangerous, car can tip too easily to one side or the other and is too close to jack. Chose to leave floor jack under cross member to serve as a third leg in supporting vehicle.

5.) Remove lug nuts from one side only (start with passenger) and remove wheel. Loosen large axle nut all the way, do not remove unless necessary.

6.) Spray penetrating fluid (PB Blaster) on all nuts/bolts to be loosened. Remove the two 13-mm bolts from brake caliper, inspect brake pads set pads aside, tie back caliper.

7.) Remove the two 15-mm bolts from back of steering knuckle holding the brake caliper bracket. Remove brake caliper bracket and set aside. Remove rotor and set aside.

8.) Measure geometry and position of upper control arm using various reference points so as to better reinstall back to aligned position. Remove 15-mm nut on upper steering knuckle which holds the upper control arm and ball joint to the steering knuckle.

9.) Use smaller ball peen hammer and rapidly tap around shaft of upper steering knuckle to help loosen ball joint shaft.

10.) Remove two large nuts (24-mm?) from upper control arm.

11.) Remove cotter pit from lower ball joint and remove nut.

12.) Use ball joint splitter and begin separating both the upper and lower ball joints. Be sure both the upper and lower ball joints have bolt and nut removed, respectively.

13.) With upper control arm removed, prepare to secure this to steering knuckle or other. Disconnect ABS wire from restraining brackets and be sure this wire is not pulled hard on or damaged.

14.) Remove CV axle from bearing hub and tie back using wire or heavy bungy.

15.) Now prepare remove lower ball joint by first removing snap ring using needle nose pliers, use tips of needle nose inserted into snap ring holes and spread apart, no screw driver is necessary and using a screw driver is dangerous as ring can fly or risk stabbing hand or leg with screw driver. Use MAPP gas torch and heat the lower control arm around area where lower ball joint is pressed in. Be sure no penetrating fluid or other flammable objects are nearby. Keep a fire extinguisher and wet rag close by to dampen down any small fluid fires. Definitely wear leather gloves to prevent burning hands. Heating will help expand the opening and allow for easier removal of ball joint. Once heated sufficiently, preferably using a ball joint press to force the ball joint out bottom of lower control arm. Pounding with 3-lb hammer will work, yet presents risk of damaging control arm either by distorting control arm or dents from missed blows. May not seem to be damaging it, yet it can for sure in particular with massive sledge used repeatedly.

16.) With lower ball joint removed, immediately press in the new ball joint using ball joint press or any other clever method for seating the joint in place. The ball joint should be completely seated. Look under control arm and be sure ball joint has seated all the way against the control arm seat. Again, is important to look under the control arm for proper seating of ball joint against control arm.

17.) Install new snap ring using needle nose, no screw drivers.

18.) Install boot over ball joint if boot is not already affixed to ball joint.

19.) Place steering knuckle simultaneously back together with CV axle (be sure to grease shaft if dry) and lower ball joint shaft and immediately hand tighten castle nut to lower ball joint then snug down with end wrench. Tighten castle nut firmly to expose the hole for passing cotter pin. Do not exceed torque specifications for diameter of ball joint shaft/nut. Check torque sheet if need be and torque the nut into position for cotter pin and install cotter pin, bend over pin.

20.) Carefully clean out inside of shaft of upper steering knuckle. Apply anti-sieze or at the very least use grease in shaft, do not install dry as can be a nightmare removing later when rusted in. Install new upper control arm, be sure boot is in place, place nuts over bolts yet do not tighten all the way down. Tap with just enough strength to drive ball joint shaft back down into the upper steering knuckle. While tapping, insert retaining bolt into upper steering knuckle until it just lightly bumps into ball joint shaft, press slightly while taping down shaft where when bolt slides in---the ball joint shaft is now full seated. Torque 15-mm bolts to 30-ft/lbs. Do NOT exceed 35-ft/lbs of torque on this nut or bolt (in particular if is the original bolt) can snap easily.

21.) Be sure upper control arm is aligned back to original geometry and torque nuts down to specification following torque sheet for size of shaft. Can get this sheet on Internet…have learned not to trust torque specifications in shop manuals, typoes and incorrect entries in shop manual have resulted in bolts too loose or snapped off. Use mechanics sense over a book value.

22.) Begin reinstalling all parts removed in reverse order and be sure to not over tighten bolts and nuts, 15-mm at 30-35 ft/lbs, 13-mm at 20-25 ft/lbs or as best determined. Snug down CV axle nut 31-mm, snug down lug lug nuts, then torque all the way to 200 and 80 ft/lbs, respectively when lowered.

23.) Do the exact same thing to passenger side yet with one difference, the upper control arm. When removing the upper control arm on drivers side, the bolts/nuts are located in a tight spot. In particular, the bolt near fuel and brake lines. To help avoid damaging these lines and to allow bolt to clear the frame, loosen BOTH BOLT/NUTS first. This is very important. Both nuts on both sides must be loose before removing the right side bolt in tight spot. To clear lines, tap the control arm back, the shaft for bolt on bracket has slot rather than hole allowing for movement of bolt shaft back and away from frame and lines. Still, the lines will be in the way partially due to the cam on bolt head, may be necessary to remove one fuel line from restraining bracket. Avoid using excessive force. The job is doable without removing lines. Lightly pry and manipulate bolt while keeping the shaft all the way back in slot or bolt will absolutely never come out other side. Is by far the most difficult task and risk to damaging vehicle through entire job.

24.) When all ball joints and control arms are done, lower vehicle and torque down CV nut and lug nuts.

25.) Before test driving, measure the ride height of vehicle and adjust to specifications by tightening bolts for adjusting the torsion bars. Regardless of “specifications” Ride height should not be so low that the wheels develop negative camber and should not be so high to develop positive camber resulting in excessive wear to inner or outer edge of tire, excessive stress on CV joints, excessive stress ball joints and excessive inner or outer lateral stress on wheel bearings. The normal force of the vehicle should be exactly perpendicular to the wheel bearings an CV axle at rest---if not, yet is correct with tires/wheel, the wrong size tire/wheels are in place or wheels are distorted. Avoid extreme settings with the ride height.

26.) The above steps are historical. No liability can be ensued for anyone following the above, use common mechanical sense/experience over book values and procedures such as outlined above.

Thank you a lot MountaineerGreen, U just saved my life, your pictures are printed out and ready for next weekend!

Today I replaced my UCAs ( thanks Ford ) and replaced the bushings in the passenger side since it is a two piece component. I also replaced the lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends. After everything was installed I had an alignment done, but unfortunately, I needed to get a camber / caster kit that I didn't know about...lol... So needless to say Saturday I will be removing the UCA bolts again!!!... Passenger side, no problem.. drivers side allot more cussing and grunting..LMAO.. Those damn fuel and brake lines were getting the best of me in the beginning, but I ended up winning the fight.

Good luck chytraprdel..

Laterz

GaryRamu or anyone... I have a 2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD. I have a severe want to say squeak but definitely a lot worse. Everyone tells me it is my lower ball joint. I jacked it up and checked for movement and yes it is bad. I looked at these pics and the step by step, 2 posts up. They were great but the pics on page 1 look different from mine and the step by step is for passenger side. I have a question. I will be changing my lower on the drivers side. I am mechanically inclined(aviation structures mechanic) so I feel I can do this. I know I need to go out and get a 31 or 32 mm axel nut socket and a ball joint fork. I will also be renting a press kit from autozone or wherever. Please correct my process if you will and add anything you think will help. It is cold out today but I will try to at least get a pic of what mine looks like unless someone has a 2001 XLT, 4 WD. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Jack and place jackstands

Remove tire, axle nut, brakes and caliper

Remove castellated nuts and cotter pind from upper and lower ball joints

using ball joint fork break ball joints free from upper and lower control arms

once broken free remove (whats the assembly called) from the axle

Remove snap ring from ball joint, using BFH or press tool remove ball joint pushing down

Reinstall Ball joint using press or using jack method, make sure snap ring groove is visable

Reinstall snap ring,

Reinstall (whats that assy called) first through lower Ball joint then through upper, and reinstall axle through bearing.

Reinstall castellated nut in lower Ball Joint and reinstall (?) nut or bolt in upper and tighten and install cotter pins

Reinstall axle nut and reinstall roter, caliper and brakes... Reinstall wheel and done

Ok what I would like is for anyone to correct my steps if they need be and give me their oppinions on any easier ways. Also any tools that i might need. thanks in advance

Joe E

You didn't say anything about removing your tie-rods ends. If you are going to be using the fork on them, be careful not to tear the boot. You can also remove them, buy loosing the nut all the down so it is flush with the bottom or bolt and give a couple of hits with a hammer.

When you install the lower ball joints, make sure to press them in, so the bottom lip is against the lower control arm. I didn't need to press to remove them, but I needed it to install them.

Good luck!

Laterz

This was very helpful thanks. But i must of got over eager and broke my abs sensor. any how if this happens you can expect to spend around 140 dollars for a new sensor. Dont. Hit up advance or somewhere that sells NTP Wheel Hub Assembly it comes with the sensor and is about thirty bucks cheaper. I think from now on i am just going to replace the hub unless i dont have the money i couldnt get that sensor out unless there is a secret i dont know.

there should be a little bolt holding it in. try removing it.

I did the post broke off unless there is one that is on the post i got the one that is one the sensor.

I was going to remove the sensor, but I ended up using some rope to tie the spindle up and out of the way while I replaced the lowers. I didn't want to mess with the sensor, just incaser I ended up breaking it.

Hey do you have a How To: video or step by step on changing drivers side lower control arm... Reason I am asking because I was reading about some people changing a lower Ball Joint ending up with the joint falling out when replacing and hole joint gets pressed into ended up oblong or oversized. So just in case I want to be ready. I asked a question to you on U Tube concerning the Lowers... Anyway if you have a how too or know of one will you let me know. Thanks Joe E

Hey do you have a How To: video or step by step on changing drivers side lower control arm... Reason I am asking because I was reading about some people changing a lower Ball Joint ending up with the joint falling out when replacing and hole joint gets pressed into ended up oblong or oversized. So just in case I want to be ready. I asked a question to you on U Tube concerning the Lowers... Anyway if you have a how too or know of one will you let me know. Thanks Joe E

it really is easy peasy.
I did this, but don't think I took pics or anything.

but the basic jist after removing the knuckle/spindle from the LBJ:

take a marker, paint marker, or the like and mark the end of the t-bar and LCA, so you know the where they are placed relative to each other.

also mark the t-bar adjuster bolt so you have an idea as to how far in it is when replacing.

loosen/remove t-bar adjuster bolt.

remove bolts holding LCA to frame.

pull LCA down and pull forward to remove from t-bar.

sit new and old LCA's next to each other. Make mark on new LCA in same relative spot as old LCA.

line up mark on t-bar and new LCA and push LCA onto t-bar.

lift up LCA to line up bolt holes and reinstall bolts.

I did the post broke off unless there is one that is on the post i got the one that is one the sensor.

Hmmm... I did mine and the sensor just slid out no problem.

Thank you very much for the write up, was able to do my LBJ's, UCA's and shocks with the help of this write up. One thing though, After removing the castle nut from the LBJ and popping the UCA off, had a hell of a time getting the knuckle to come off the bottom and ended up having to get a ball joint fork. Even with it was a pain to get. On the passenger side I used the ball joint fork before popping the UCA and it work much better.

I tried using the ball joint kit from autozone and while it fit, it didn't work for removing and ended up using a BFH which only took a few seconds. Used the jack method and a BFH to put the new ones in and it worked great.

I was in the process of replacing CV and hub/bearings when I chanced upon this site. Anyway, noticed the boots of the lower and upper ball joints where cracked badly. At 1st I thought I would just replace the boots, as the ball joints themselves appeared clean and tight, but I thought Moog ball joints with grease fittings would be an improvement.

Note: '97 AWD 5.0L X w/120 k miles on truck, I'm original owner and no previous FE work done on vehicle. Currently on DS only, CV, UCA, knuckle, stabilizer link, hub/bearing assembly have been removed, only lower ball joint remains on LCA.

Any opinions on only replacing boots vs replacing ball joints ?

you can't replace just the boot on the lower balljoint.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have try replacing just boots on cv joints. Now I was a little tough on my cars then. And all I found was that it bought me some time. If it is cracked enough to see into the parts workings. It is probably to late there is going to be dirt in there and no matter how much grease you stick in there its going to wear out faster than normal. As gavin said I have never seen a boot for ball joints. Its just better to Change them out and I just change my ball joints to Moog. The one piece top problem solvers alot struddier

Back