Message center into explorer sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Message center into explorer sport

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys,
A member is selling a message center for the 95-01 explorer. My sport didnt come stock with this, but I am wondering if I buy it, will it work on my truck? Is it just plug and play or will I need something else to makeit work?

Message_Center_sm.jpg

This topic comes up often and there are quite a few threads on it on the site. If I recall, it is NOT a simple plug and play mod, but is doable. I think I saw it desccribed as a 11 out of 10 on the difficulty scale to wire it up right. I think you need a new wiring harness and that many of the functions that it reports on involve sensors that you won't have unless your ride came with the Message Center in the first place.

I did it just recently on my 2000 sport. You will need to go to a junk yard and find the harnesses, oil sensor, and washer fluid sensors. You will need lots of wire , wire connectors and etc. Since you have a 99 make sure that the message center is from a 99 or above because I made a mistake and grabbed one from a 98 and only certain things worked. MPG and such do not work on mine, so I have to find a newer one.

All of the Fuel functions will be off by a bit in a Sport. The MPG, and the Miles to Empty readings are based on a 4 Door gas tank. The 2 Door Tank is a little smaller.

Ryan

Back