MFT Black / Blank Screen | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT Black / Blank Screen

Dealers tend not to get too technical with customers about part names unless asked to do so. Radio could me any number of things. I have only ever heard of the black screen being caused by a bad APIM. If the screen were bad you would still get continuous audio from the stereo system.

That is an incorrect statement. When the screen went black we had nothing including rear control, stereo, back up camera, back up sensors, etc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is an incorrect statement. When the screen went black we had nothing including rear control, stereo, back up camera, back up sensors, etc

Because the APIM was bad, not the screen itself. If the APIM were good and the screen was bad things would still work, you just cant see it. With a bad APIM the entire MFT system fails.

Because the APIM was bad, not the screen itself. If the APIM were good and the screen was bad things would still work, you just cant see it. With a bad APIM the entire MFT system fails.
Could I upgrade to a sync 3 with a newer APIM or would I have to change other things out as well?

Could I upgrade to a sync 3 with a newer APIM or would I have to change other things out as well?

You can. Have to reprogram the unit for the features you have (can do this with forscan), add another GPS antenna (navigation), and if you want to utilize Apple CarPlay you have to swap the USB plug out in the console area.

You can. Have to reprogram the unit for the features you have (can do this with forscan), add another GPS antenna (navigation), and if you want to utilize Apple CarPlay you have to swap the USB plug out in the console area.
Do you know where I can buy a new APIM?

Do you know where I can buy a new APIM?
eBay/junkyard. Forgot to add that you need to get the screen as well if you go with sync 3 (most of the time I've seen it sold together). Prices online have ranged from $450-$800 or more.

eBay/junkyard. Forgot to add that you need to get the screen as well if you go with sync 3 (most of the time I've seen it sold together). Prices online have ranged from $450-$800 or more.
Maybe I'll just stick to the sync 2. Ford is supposed to call me today but I feel like there gunna quote me for the whole radio not just the APIM

Maybe I'll just stick to the sync 2. Ford is supposed to call me today but I feel like there gunna quote me for the whole radio not just the APIM
Seeing as how they diagnosed it as a radio problem and not an APIM issue, they may just quote the radio.

Peter

For a SYNC 3 upgrade the USB hub wiring differs on the 2011-2015MY and the 2016-2017MY. 2016MY is a plug and play upgrade. On 2011-2015MY, you need to modify the USB hub wiring for the new hub.

4DTech makes a plug and play adapter if you don't feel like modifying the wiring. Purchase according to your hub connector type.

Gen 1: https://www.4dtech.com/sync-3-retrofit-usb-hub-wiring-adapter-gen-1/ (Your 2012MY will likely use this connector)
Gen 2a: https://www.4dtech.com/sync-3-retrofit-usb-hub-wiring-adapter-gen-2a/
Gen 2b: https://www.4dtech.com/sync-3-retrofit-usb-hub-wiring-adapter-gen-2b/

Seeing as how they diagnosed it as a radio problem and not an APIM issue, they may just quote the radio.

Peter
They told me they were replacing the radio and it was going to cost $450 for parts and labor

They told me they were replacing the radio and it was going to cost $450 for parts and labor
Hope I'm wrong but I'm still leaning toward a bad APIM. Please let us know how it went.

Peter

So these idiots told me they were changing the whole radio. They only changed the screen and charged me $400 and still blank screen the APIM should be included when I ask if the whole radio was being changed and they said yes. Now they want another $600 to change the APIM. I'm pretty sure my screen is fine it just was not getting a signal from the APIM what do y'all think?

So these idiots told me they were changing the whole radio. They only changed the screen and charged me $400 and still blank screen the APIM should be included when I ask if the whole radio was being changed and they said yes. Now they want another $600 to change the APIM. I'm pretty sure my screen is fine it just was not getting a signal from the APIM what do y'all think?

Simple for me, dont pay for something that didn't fix the problem.

Wow! that is brutal - sorry i didnt jump in earlier, my 2011 XLT went blank several weeks back (previous thread), I searched the web (most info found on this forum) to try and diagnose the issue. After learning that the APIM is so renound for failure that ford extended the warranty to 5 yrs i figured it had to be that - afterall it is the brains of the system! I asked the dealer and they agreed within 30 min diagnostic that it was the APIM. Im a DIY guy and try to figure things out on the cheap, but given that a new APIM needs to be custom ordered through ford, and the car then needs reprogrammed/software updated, i figured it was worth just paying the $900 at the dealer to have it all done. At least they replaced it all within a day and explorer is back to good again.

Your dealer/mechanic sounds like a fool/con. If they said that the APIM was getting replaced also then there would be no need to replace the screen. If the screen was broken then no need to replace APIM. chances in both failing at once pretty much zero. If they misdiagnosed the problem and changed out a part that was perfectly fine then they are obligated to put the original back in, and you therefore owe them nothing. Tell them to fix the APIM and put your screen back in - it was almost obvious the APIM needs replaced. Good thing is if a dealer/Mechanic/service tries to screw you these days a consumer can really make them regret it by posting bad (but honest) reviews all over the internet to deter future business for them. I find that if you tell them in advance that your going to spend a few days doing that, unless they treat you fairly, they will usually back down and become reasonable. Just my experience.

We're going talk to a manager tomorrow wish me luck

If Ford extended the warranty on APIM to 5 yrs and you have a 2012, then the warranty would be good through 2017 calendar year would it not?

The extended warranty is from the in-service date of the vehicle so likely no longer in effect. I agree that the dealer clearly misdiagnosed the issue and replaced the wrong part. That's on them not the consumer.

Now they want another $600 to change the APIM. I'm pretty sure my screen is fine it just was not getting a signal from the APIM what do y'all think?
The APIM was my thought from the start and I don't believe the APIM is actually part of the radio although it may be attached to it. Can't recall exactly. The APIM is the 'brains' of the MFT. If they still have the original screen, perhaps you can ask them to put that back and just get a new APIM and pay for that only if indeed your 5 years from the "In Service" date is up.

Peter

The APIM was my thought from the start and I don't believe the APIM is actually part of the radio although it may be attached to it. Can't recall exactly. The APIM is the 'brains' of the MFT. If they still have the original screen, perhaps you can ask them to put that back and just get a new APIM and pay for that only if indeed your 5 years from the "In Service" date is up.

Peter

peterk9,

You are correct, the APIM controls the radio which is in the Audio Control Module. This is the module containing the CD drive and also contains the AM/FM tuner and Sirius.

-po

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If Ford extended the warranty on APIM to 5 yrs and you have a 2012, then the warranty would be good through 2017 calendar year would it not?
It's expired in February

Back