• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

MFT Black / Blank Screen

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I spoke to Wynne Ford who I have done a lot of business with and the service person told me there is nothing they can do because it is 2 months past when the extended warranty expired. Is there anyone on here that has any way of contacting someone higher on the Ford totem pole to possibly get some help with the cost?
We used to have Ford reps monitoring the Forum and they then dealt with the Regional Customer Service Managers but it sound s like Ford no longer has reps supporting any Ford forums. The did have a 1-800 number that was posted with their replies. 1-800-392-FORD. You can try that.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

goodmank

Reaction score
City, State
North, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer LTD
I'll try the Ford number tomorrow. I appreciate the quick replies! Hopefully some type of help would be nice considering Ford is very aware of the issue concerning a $50k vehicle

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT
I'll try the Ford number tomorrow. I appreciate the quick replies! Hopefully some type of help would be nice considering Ford is very aware of the issue concerning a $50k vehicle
If Ford doesn't help you I would suggest an APIM off Ebay or maybe through Jason (JRM061) on this forum. It will be less than $1000 and it's not a complicated install.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...A0.H0.XFord+APIM.TRS0&_nkw=Ford+APIM&_sacat=0

Also have you tried the battery disconnect for 15-20 minutes to see if that does anything?

Last edited:

RIch1244

Reaction score
City, State
Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
12 explorer
13 F 150 FX4
I was almost in the market for another Ford for me but this may end my run. MFT blank screen. Took to dealer spent $70 for an estimate just to find out obviously the APIM was bad and needs to be replaced. $950 to replace out of pocket due to the fact the extended warranty has expired. That's crazy I called Ford customer service and they said they can't do anything for us. This puts me over I just want a cheap stereo with out all that technology if Ford can't back their product I won't support Ford. Good luck

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I was almost in the market for another Ford for me but this may end my run. MFT blank screen. Took to dealer spent $70 for an estimate just to find out obviously the APIM was bad and needs to be replaced. $950 to replace out of pocket due to the fact the extended warranty has expired. That's crazy I called Ford customer service and they said they can't do anything for us. This puts me over I just want a cheap stereo with out all that technology if Ford can't back their product I won't support Ford. Good luck
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As for the APIM, Ford did back that up by changing the warranty to 5 years, unlimited mileage. Warranties don't usually go on forever and items do tend to break down. There was also an option to purchase an ESP but what you spent was less than what an ESP would have cost. There are some others that feel as you do but as for me I'm on my 4th Ford product (2nd Explorer) and I'm anxiously waiting to see the redesigned 2020 model as my next possible Ford.

Peter

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
City, State
Hoover, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited 3.5L
Sounds like a good time to get a Sync 3 Nav unit with screen. Would probably end up being cheaper than a Dealer Sync 2 replacement.

Problem is mapping on the coding to turn on all the features you have.

RIch1244

Reaction score
City, State
Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
12 explorer
13 F 150 FX4
As for the APIM, Ford did back that up by changing the warranty to 5 years, unlimited mileage. Warranties don't usually go on forever and items do tend to break down. There was also an option to purchase an ESP but what you spent was less than what an ESP would have cost. There are some others that feel as you do but as for me I'm on my 4th Ford product (2nd Explorer) and I'm anxiously waiting to see the redesigned 2020 model as my next possible Ford.

Peter
Check the date on the extended warranty we have a 2012 explorer with 86k miles on it. Very well garage kept taking care of. We are 10monyhs past coverage for the MFT junk

Jmac788

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Infiniti QX60
Haven't had an Explorer since my 02 but was looking at buying my daughter a 2011 Explorer but is the black screen thing still going on or has it been fixed? Tried reading up on it, but a lot of websites have said Ford issued upgrades to the software but then no updates after that on if the updates fixed the issues. Thanks for any help.

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT
Haven't had an Explorer since my 02 but was looking at buying my daughter a 2011 Explorer but is the black screen thing still going on or has it been fixed? Tried reading up on it, but a lot of websites have said Ford issued upgrades to the software but then no updates after that on if the updates fixed the issues. Thanks for any help.
2011 was the first year of the Gen 5 Explorer and there were some significant growing pains with production.

Go through the TSB Thread on this forum and educate yourself.

I'm not saying all 2011 builds were bad, I'm saying many 2011's had issues beyond MFT.

I returned my 2011 Ex Limited under Lemon Laws for a number of things and bought a 2013.

IMHO I would buy 2013 or newer, the slight increase in price and extra warranty especially the 5 yr MFT warranty is worth it.

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT
Can I suggest two options...........

First, ask your dealership Service Manager to get you in contact with the Regional District Service Manager and see if he/she will extend some assistance for this well known APIM issue.

Second, look on YouTube, there are many videos of replacing your APIM, it's not that hard, you can buy one on Ebay for $200-300.

As an example here is a Focus APIM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-FACTORY...ash=item4d4ff44dd4:g:WxkAAOSwnHZYRbA9&vxp=mtr

Jmac788

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Infiniti QX60
2011 was the first year of the Gen 5 Explorer and there were some significant growing pains with production.

Go through the TSB Thread on this forum and educate yourself.

I'm not saying all 2011 builds were bad, I'm saying many 2011's had issues beyond MFT.

I returned my 2011 Ex Limited under Lemon Laws for a number of things and bought a 2013.

IMHO I would buy 2013 or newer, the slight increase in price and extra warranty especially the 5 yr MFT warranty is worth it.
Thanks. I didn't know about all the power steering issues.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

SimLam

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer, XLT
So my wife and I have a 2012 Ford Explorer 4WD Limited and we just started getting the Black Screen of Death. After reading this thread just found out that the APIM is probably 99% the issue and that Ford extended the warranty to 5 years unlimited mileage. Unfortunately, 5 years was up 2/20/17 and obviously today is 04/19/17. Is there anything we can do? I don't have $1000 to throw at a new APIM and it controls the backup camera and the navigation as well as any music at all. I have already spent a lot of money at Wynne Ford and Bowditch Ford replacing a ton of other parts and maintenance. Any help would be sincerely appreciated!!!
Goodmank, did you find a solution here? My wifes 2011 ford explorer also has the APIM died and im at a point of fixing it myself since it seems simple enough... just trying to clarify what the part No it is, where it is located (behind control unit or somewhere else?), a quick 'how to' what I might need to do to program it?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Goodmank, did you find a solution here? My wifes 2011 ford explorer also has the APIM died and im at a point of fixing it myself since it seems simple enough... just trying to clarify what the part No it is, where it is located (behind control unit or somewhere else?), a quick 'how to' what I might need to do to program it?
I don't think that you can order an APIM. When a dealer orders one to replace a defective unit the old APIM has to be returned to Ford.

Peter

RIch1244

Reaction score
City, State
Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
12 explorer
13 F 150 FX4

The part itself was ~$600 I was quoted $870 plus $70 inspect fee we had it done paid the money. 1 day later check engine light came on we are looking for new chevy or Chrysler i've had way too many issues with this 2012 Ford explore under 80,000 miles. I can't afford to keep taking it back for service 2 to 3 times a year.

SimLam

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer, XLT
The part itself was ~$600 I was quoted $870 plus $70 inspect fee we had it done paid the money. 1 day later check engine light came on we are looking for new chevy or Chrysler i've had way too many issues with this 2012 Ford explore under 80,000 miles. I can't afford to keep taking it back for service 2 to 3 times a year.
Ah! sorry to hear that. Yea well i think we are in the same boat (car) we will get this fixed up then get it off our hands ASAP for a more reliable vehicle - or more specifically for a brand with more integrity. Its a shame, for me its not so much the mechanical issues as it is their handling of them. Fords moral compass seems to have gone downhill big time denying all fault and refusing accountability... just a take your money and run business now. Im still concerned about the fume smell in the cabin on acceleration too, cant be safe for the family

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Ah! sorry to hear that. Yea well i think we are in the same boat (car) we will get this fixed up then get it off our hands ASAP for a more reliable vehicle - or more specifically for a brand with more integrity. Its a shame, for me its not so much the mechanical issues as it is their handling of them. Fords moral compass seems to have gone downhill big time denying all fault and refusing accountability... just a take your money and run business now. Im still concerned about the fume smell in the cabin on acceleration too, cant be safe for the family
It's unfortunate that some owners experience this situation with their vehicles and/or dealer. I can assure you that there are also many who do not. My dealer has been excellent and my vehicles have been great. I'm sure that if you check other manufacturer's forums that you will find the same kind of unhappy owners. I was a member of one of the Toyota forums and the same kind of posts would pop up from time to time. In any case I wish you good luck.

Peter

SimLam

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer, XLT
It's unfortunate that some owners experience this situation with their vehicles and/or dealer. I can assure you that there are also many who do not. My dealer has been excellent and my vehicles have been great. I'm sure that if you check other manufacturer's forums that you will find the same kind of unhappy owners. I was a member of one of the Toyota forums and the same kind of posts would pop up from time to time. In any case I wish you good luck.

Peter
I suppose you're right... the grass is always greener right

Shown

Reaction score
City, State
Belle Chasse Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
I also am having issues with my screen. I have a 2012 explorer XLT the screen has been black for about three weeks now. I took it to the dealer today and after sitting there for three hours they said the computer would not link to the radio and I needed a new radio. My question here is what part of my radio do I need to replace?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I also am having issues with my screen. I have a 2012 explorer XLT the screen has been black for about three weeks now. I took it to the dealer today and after sitting there for three hours they said the computer would not link to the radio and I needed a new radio. My question here is what part of my radio do I need to replace?
I don't think I've heard this explanation before. Did they check the APIM? That is the most common cause for a black screen.

Peter

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R F9 Black Screen on MFT 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 12
R Latest MFT Update Failed - Black Screen 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 13
D My first MFT black screen after two months owning... 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 7
K MFT(Sync2) to Sync3 V3.4 Upgrade Minor Issue 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 5
G MFT Sync 2 to Sync 3 Screen Stays On While Car is OFF 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 6
deewan MFT trouble dialing using iOS 13 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 2
E Sync 2 with MFT failing. How can I cost effectivly upgrade to Sync 3? 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 3
J Similar compatible alternative to MFT? 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 1
D Gremlins in MFT 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 0
J Sync 2 MFT APIM Replacement / Repair 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 1
D MFT update trouble and help needed 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 1
D Anyone use the Waze app with their MFT 3.8 or 3.10? 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 12
I MFT Entertainment Unavailable / Off Message 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 7
O Restarting MFT using "Seek >> + Power" (also for Sync 3) 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 0
E 2015 MFT 8" No NAV - Upgrade ideas to get Android Auto 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 6
I Sync 2 w/ MFT - iOS11 iPhone Compatibility 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 15
9 2012 MFT w/ Nav - Stuck on v2.11 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 5
Jon M This is new...Sync/MFT issue 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 6
J Upgrading to 8" Sync MFT on 2016 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 5
Jon M MFT/SYNC/Nav issues 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 0
S MFT with Speedcams, how ? 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 3
B Samsung S8 Plus and MFT 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 4
Daheim111 A "how to" to not have problems with MFT ? 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 7
2 MFT Update V3.10 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 150
S 2013 Limited MFT forgot second key 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 3
S 2016 SONY MFT - weird behavior 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 7
M Cannot update MFT 2.11 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 26
A Downgrading from (8" MFT with Nav) to (4.2" non-MFT) 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 50
T USB Drive Application Error/MFT Crash 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 8
T MFT Screen touch points unusable 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 9
L Clever MFT feature 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 4
B MFT 3.8 IOS 9.3 sync drops connection mid call 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 0
Sgt1411 MFT v3.8 and iOS10 Issues 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 65
D MFT for South America - spanish (not Spanish Spain) 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 5
M iPhone 6 SE and MFT 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 3
Z MFT Slow when iPhone paired 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 1
M MFT update question around versions 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 2
B Want to upgrade from 4.2 to MFT 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 11
C MFT in german 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 6
fyrfyter612 MFT problem...anyone else? 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 0
P Nav stopped working after MFT update 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 23
F MFT automatically switching to phone Yellow menu 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 2
1 MFT 3.8 bug and downgrade to 3.7.11 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 36
G Buying a 2012 Explorer - Nervous about MFT Issues (please advise) 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 7
N Responding to Text Messages via MFT 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 1
S SYNC MFT - Interesting USB Input Discovery 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 2
S SYNC MFT - Browsing Music vs Files 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 2
T MFT Performing Scheduled Maintenance Again... 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 3
blwnsmoke Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 193
S Sync MFT Browse Memory for USB 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 3