Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector

My ST was built on 10/7 and did not have the deflector. Bought to my dealers attention 10 days ago and he agreed it should be on there. He ordered the part and it came yesterday and was installed today at no charge so all is good. He indicated dealers must do a new vehicle checklist as they come off the transport but looking under everyone is normally not the practice. If the dealer doesn’t make note of a missing part before signing for the vehicles the cost gets directed to the dealer. He said going forward they will look under all Explorers. Shame on Ford but understand there still are some good guy dealers out there!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having exact opposite experience. The dealer I purchased my ST from is not even responding to my emails and calls. This dealer is really pathetic. I dont even know why I purchased from this dealer and even paid lot more for it (stupid me). Can i go to another dealer and get it installed? I'm trying to figure out how do i reach out to other dealer coz other dealer for sure is going to tell me to go to the dealer i purchased my ST from.

46B3E6D5-B5AF-4123-A610-F3A97E01C2B3.jpeg
1F283BC8-021F-41E2-81F0-6C9632989604.jpeg
46B3E6D5-B5AF-4123-A610-F3A97E01C2B3.jpeg

Can you post some photos of what your ST looks like with the deflector installed?
Post #63 has what you wanted.

Peter

I'm having exact opposite experience. The dealer I purchased my ST from is not even responding to my emails and calls. This dealer is really pathetic. I dont even know why I purchased from this dealer and even paid lot more for it (stupid me). Can i go to another dealer and get it installed? I'm trying to figure out how do i reach out to other dealer coz other dealer for sure is going to tell me to go to the dealer i purchased my ST from.

You will be up against a fight. I dont believe any dealer other than your purchasing dealer would be willing to pay for the part and many will be fighting Ford to cover it.

With no rhyme or reason on why some and some do not have it, including identical vehicles, I dont see how Ford will have an answer.

And on a separate note.. I am at a small ski area as I type this while my kids take their lessons. They have a 2020 Limited all done up with their graphics and NO AIR DEFLECTOR.

So again, what the hell..

The dealer needs to contact Ford Motor Company and ask this question and Ford Motor Company rep will provide them with an answer, Ford Motor Company can't just reply by saying, "yeah, we provided some of the Explorers with the air deflector but then left others without it". Some people are spending extra money for parts and labor and some have their dealership eat the cost.

I just left my dealership. They are providing all of the parts and labor. The air deflector is on backorder until Feb 25th. They said give it about 10 days to come in after that. They ordered the tow hook for me and had the fuel funnel in stock.

My deflector came in dealer called me to make appointment for install. It will be installed on Thursday 1/30/2020 Smith Cairns Ford in Yonkers New York. Dealer did not paying for it. Ford is pay parts and the Labor.

My deflector came in dealer called me to make appointment for install. It will be installed on Thursday 1/30/2020 Smith Cairns Ford in Yonkers New York. Dealer did not pay for it. Ford is pay parts and the Labor.

How did you make Ford pay for the parts and labor if dealer is not paying? Did you directly talked to Ford?

How did you make Ford pay for the parts and labor if dealer is not paying? Did you directly talked to Ford?
Correct. I spoke to Ford, They called the dealer, dealer called me I took picture to show part missing dealer ordered part, part came in being installed 1/30/2020

I'm starting to think that some of the noise complaints about this vehicle, for example wind noise, buzzing, humming from the rear of the vehicle may be the result of this air deflector missing. It would not only improve aerodynamics and reduce drag, it may also insulate from noise since it is a soft, felt textured panel. My dealer wants to inspect my vehicle before ordering the part. I have called Ford to let them know about the missing parts which includes the tow hook.

I don't think it has been established yet that this deflector is a required part on all trims.

Peter

I don't think it has been established yet that this deflector is a required part on all trims.

Peter
I have seen XLT, LIMITED. PLATINUM & ST with the Deflector on.
Ford drop the ball rushing these vehicles to the dealers trying to catch up with GM, which have sold very well and have a similarity to the Explorer from the rear.

I have seen XLT, LIMITED. PLATINUM & ST with the Deflector on.
Ford drop the ball rushing these vehicles to the dealers trying to catch up with GM, which have sold very well and have a similarity to the Explorer from the rear.
Yep, the parts manager at my dealership told me that all trim levels should have it.

Peter

The fact that some limiteds have them and some dont, some STs have them and some dont takes care of the 2.3 vs 3.0 debate.. Add to that, build dates that dont have them that are after build dates that do I think tells us even more that they should. When you have identical vehicles with identical packages and the only difference is the paint color... and 1 has it and the other doesnt.. There is only one answer, Ford is still F'ing up their QC.

There is no option code or package that differentiates this part.

The fact that some limiteds have them and some dont, some STs have them and some dont takes care of the 2.3 vs 3.0 debate.. Add to that, build dates that dont have them that are after build dates that do I think tells us even more that they should. When you have identical vehicles with identical packages and the only difference is the paint color... and 1 has it and the other doesnt.. There is only one answer, Ford is still F'ing up their QC.

There is no option code or package that differentiates this part.
Agreed. Either QA isnt catching this, and it is an oversight they are missing, or it is intentional because they cant get enough of the part to the factory and want to keep the line going. Either isnt good, but since the part has been back ordered, the latter is certainly possible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed. Either QA isnt catching this, and it is an oversight they are missing, or it is intentional because they cant get enough of the part to the factory and want to keep the line going. Either isnt good, but since the part has been back ordered, the latter is certainly possible.

A poster earlier said it wasn't on the build sheet for his VIN. That suggests they are pushing them out intentionally without the deflector.

Back