Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a Nov 2019 build ST without. All 8 STs at the dealer I used were without it. The area I checked had 1 Platinum with it and multiple limited & XLT with.

I have a request in to my dealer regarding the missing part and I’m also missing the tow eye.

My August 2019 build ST is missing the deflector, sent my dealer an email about it. Also missing the tow hook. Also missing the dealer installed wheel lock kit thats on my window sticker.

20200202_130006.jpg

Here's an update. My dealer and I went round and round in a friendly way, trying to resolve the missing deflector. We looked at at least a dozen Explorers and couldn't find a single ST or Platinum with the Air Deflector. Every EXT and and Limited did have the deflector.

I think all of the explorers should have the part since without it, the bumper facia hangs loose. Mine rattles when I tap it. I do foresee something hooking on the bumper and ripping it off. Regardless, The dealer didn't what to pay for one but we did compromise. I'll bought the part, they'll pay for the install. That part is backordered into March and the parts list does not identify all the nuts and bolts that attach the deflector. Guess the dealer will figure that out.

After ordering the part, the head of the service department hunted me down to advise me that Ford likely has a good reason for not using the deflector on the Platinum and adding it might result in unexpected consequences. Trapped heat being one. Who knows, it might not even fit. But we'll see..

Here's an update. My dealer and I went round and round in a friendly way, trying to resolve the missing deflector. We looked at at least a dozen Explorers and couldn't find a single ST or Platinum with the Air Deflector. Every EXT and and Limited did have the deflector.

I think all of the explorers should have the part since without it, the bumper facia hangs loose. Mine rattles when I tap it. I do foresee something hooking on the bumper and ripping it off. Regardless, The dealer didn't what to pay for one but we did compromise. I'll bought the part, they'll pay for the install. That part is backordered into March and the parts list does not identify all the nuts and bolts that attach the deflector. Guess the dealer will figure that out.

After ordering the part, the head of the service department hunted me down to advise me that Ford likely has a good reason for not using the deflector on the Platinum and adding it might result in unexpected consequences. Trapped heat being one. Who knows, it might not even fit. But we'll see..
I’ve seen a similar trend, but I have seen 1 Platinum at my purchasing dealer with the deflector installed.

The Ford parts website also shows it an applicable part for my VIN and the ST model. It also appears that the parts website, when searched by VIN, only lists applicable part numbers in the related parts section. I tested this with the emblems and while it shows graphics and part numbers for all Explorer model emblems it only lists the ST part numbers in related when I have my VIN entered.

Air Deflector Part#: 7811778

Usages: 08/19/2019, Explorer 2020-, 3.0L Nano-D4-G-GTDI-CD6R-PHEV, ST Version

Item is currently on back order. Contact Your Dealer to check on part availability.

I wonder if the larger fuel tanks on the Platinum and ST have something to do with it, but I’ve also speculated on the potential heat issue due to the higher HP engines.

I couldn’t get anywhere with my sales guy and he passed me off to the service manager who I’m awaiting a call from and I’m determined to get these missing parts.

The Ford parts website also shows it an applicable part for my VIN and the ST model.
Thanks, My parts guy looked up an VIN for an ST sitting on the lot and it did not include the deflector. Something must have changes along the way. Wish I could find the photo of the Platinum with the deflector. Who knows how to find Post #63?

Post 63 is on page #4 of this thread.

Thanks, My parts guy looked up an VIN for an ST sitting on the lot and it did not include the deflector. Something must have changes along the way. Wish I could find the photo of the Platinum with the deflector. Who knows how to find Post #63?

This photo is from post #63 IT's an ST not a Platinum
index.php

So.... days after chatting with support, who said they would forward my request to the dealership, I've had no reply. Then I emailed the dealership and got a response that I needed to phone the parts manager. I'm pretty busy during 9-5 and don't exactly have time to sit on hold to talk to somebody. They couldn't forward my email to the parts dept? Starting to get a bad feeling....

So.... days after chatting with support, who said they would forward my request to the dealership, I've had no reply. Then I emailed the dealership and got a response that I needed to phone the parts manager. I'm pretty busy during 9-5 and don't exactly have time to sit on hold to talk to somebody. They couldn't forward my email to the parts dept? Starting to get a bad feeling....
9 r's fan ? Could be bad karma ....... :rolleyes:
tenor.gif

Lol. I'm i SoCal. The 9ers mean nothing to me.

I'm really beginning to doubt if the ST is supposed to have this deflector. I was just at my dealership to pick up the fuel filler funnel and checked out the 8 Explorers that they had on the lot. There were XLT's, Limiteds, a Platinum and a newly arrived ST. All had the deflector except the ST. Since they all come off the same assembly line, why would they skip the ST if it is supposed to have it? Also, one or two members mentioned that their dealer said that the deflector was not on the build sheet.

Peter

As I posted in another thread, I'm really beginning to doubt if the ST is supposed to have this deflector. I was just at my dealership and checked out the 8 Explorers that they had on the lot. There were XLT's, Limiteds, a Platinum and a newly arrived ST. All had the deflector except the ST. Since they all come off the same assembly line, why would they skip the ST if it is supposed to have it? Makes no sense. Also, one or two members mentioned that their dealer said that the deflector was not on the build sheet. So it isn't just the early builds that are missing them but the latest ones also. I didn't get the build date of the ST but just arrived last week.

Peter

I'm really beginning to doubt if the ST is supposed to have this deflector. I was just at my dealership to pick up the fuel filler funnel and checked out the 8 Explorers that they had on the lot. There were XLT's, Limiteds, a Platinum and a newly arrived ST. All had the deflector except the ST. Since they all come off the same assembly line, why would they skip the ST if it is supposed to have it? Also, one or two members mentioned that their dealer said that the deflector was not on the build sheet.

Peter

In the other thread the poster said a tech told them it could cause heat buildup. Which is a plausible explanation due to higher HP and exhaust temperatures. From experience, the exhaust piping on my ST makes a lot of heat expansion noises when I shut off the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That might make sense except that my Aviator has the deflector and the same engine as the ST.
The one difference between the Explorers is that the ST is considered a "Performance" vehicle and perhaps that is why the deflector isn't being installed on them.:dunno:

Peter

Back