Moab 2021 - EF's 25th anniversary | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2021 - EF's 25th anniversary

Which weekend for Moab 2021?

• May 1-2

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • May 8-9

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • May 15-16

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • May 22-23

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • May 29-30

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
Would love to make it this year but it isn't going to happen. Tracy has been in the hospital all but three days sense March 17th. Still not sure when she will get out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sure hope they get everything figured out with Tracy soon so she can get back home to you an Bailey. Wishing you all the best.

If we add 70's picture of Rick, can we morph this into "Fro-back Friday. . ." ? ? ?

Anyhoo. . .

View attachment 329052

Gerald and (I think) Mike B., Moab, 2004

43 days until Moab! ! !

Paul
Actually that was Tom Davis telling me that I am pointed in exactly the wrong direction LOL....

Nothing better than a spotter than can only use their fingers to tell you which way to go.. I prefer the full hand/arm signal technique.

16 years feels like forever..

So, on to the next challenge: "Mo-Back Monday. . . " While certainly not a true "Mohawk" (has "Wokeism" banned this term yet???), here's my contribution from the way-way-back-bad-hair files:
Mo (1984).jpg

On to the pics:

RangerX:
RangerX.jpg

Tom:
Tom.jpg

40 days out. . .

Paul

Anybody working on which trails they want to run yet?

I would like to start off simple and scenic on Monday, doing something like Chicken Corners, then step it up each day during the week, then an easy trail on Saturday to assure we make it to the group Dinner that night. lol

I think the hardest trails I will run (no trailer) will be the big three (Rusty nail, poison spider, golden spike), and it would be great to have a few others along that day.
I have heard of Elephant Hill a bunch, but have never been. Is it worth a day on it?

I have no idea how many of us here are going. I do know some people from FB groups are attending, as the word got out about the 25th Explorer Forum Moab meet. Be nice to at least get enough rigs, for a few groups each day, all doing different levels of trails.

Can't even hazard a guess on attendees, but from responses to this thread . . .
Confirmed List (Updated 4/12):
Rick
Greg (GManPaint)
Kurt - Son of Greg
Brian (Brian1)
Tom (TDavis)
Mike (Mikerider)
JobeJerry
Paul

Tentative List:
Kristin&Q
Traveler
Mr. Q
Project Aviator

I know of at least three others from the PNW. . .

Non-Thread Confirmed:
Kevin (DiffWhackDaddy)
Jonathan - DiffWhackBaby
Dwight - Jeeper

In Spirit (RIP):
R.J.
Phil (Albino94ltd)

To echo Greg, these numbers are way too low . . .

Trails: Concur with the "build-up" technique of trails working harder to the weekend. Was initially planning on arriving Tuesday (evening), may adjust back to Sunday arrival. That said, and the fact that Jonathan is a Moab "virgin", some of the trails I've discussed with Kevin include:
- Kane Creek
- Moab Rim
- Poison Spider / Golden Spike / Where Eagles Dare / Gold Bar Rim
- Cliff Hanger
- Metal Masher
- Rose Garden Hill / Top of the World*

We were thinking along the lines of something like Hell's Revenge on Monday to give the new guy an appreciation of slick rock, but could be any of the easier "Difficult" trails or any "Moderate" or "Easy" trails, but the thought process was something close to town as we'd likely still be ragged out from the 1,100 mile trip from our part of the Left Coast. . .

I've done Elephant Hill twice - - its a decent trail, but after the initial climb the rest is pretty easy, maybe a few tight spots, but it's scenic and a hike to the "Crack" is worth the trip, but it's pretty far out of town (~50 miles) and it's also a fee use area.

I really want to do Kane Creek - - previous attempts weathered out, so that is one still waiting to cross off my list. Moab Rim I've only done once and really would like to repeat. . . The PSM/GS/GBR is partially since it's an epic trail (for the new guy, Jonathan), but also to run the Where Eagles Dare option. . . Although I've run Cliff Hanger and Metal Masher a number of times each, they are always fun.

* So, Top of the World is under consideration as it's a great trail, but Phil's widow might come down to Moab on that weekend to spread some of his ashes, and she identified that trail as where she'd like to do it. . . If she makes it to town, I'd say that Kevin, Jonathan, Dwight, and I will most likely run that trail on Saturday, with Rose Garden Hill as the route up.

These trail suggestions are by no means set - - Moab is great whatever trail you pick, and if there is anyone "on the fence" about coming out, we can adjust and select any trail that keeps you in your comfort zone. For me, every trail will be "new" to the (new to me) Sport that replaced the venerable B3. Besides, final decisions always occur at the City Market parking lot, no matter what might have been planned in advance . . .

And . . . , pictures ! !
kevin_640.jpg

Kevin (DiffWhackDaddy) on Cliffhanger, guessing from photo stamp - - 2004.

Metal Masher (MAY 11).jpg

The B3 on Metal Masher, May 2011.

C'mon, it's MOAB ! ! !

Paul

Can't even hazard a guess on attendees, but from responses to this thread . . .
Confirmed List:
Rick
Greg (GManPaint)
Brian (Brian1)
Tom (TDavis)
Paul

Tentative List:
Stico
Kristin&Q
Traveler
Mr. Q
Project Aviator

I know of at least three others from the PNW. . .

Non-Thread Confirmed:
Kevin (DiffWhackDaddy)
Jonathan - DiffWhackBaby
Dwight - Jeeper

In Spirit (RIP):
R.J.
Phil (Albino94ltd)

To echo Greg, these numbers are way too low . . .

Trails: Concur with the "build-up" technique of trails working harder to the weekend. Was initially planning on arriving Tuesday (evening), may adjust back to Sunday arrival. That said, and the fact that Jonathan is a Moab "virgin", some of the trails I've discussed with Kevin include:
- Kane Creek
- Moab Rim
- Poison Spider / Golden Spike / Where Eagles Dare / Gold Bar Rim
- Cliff Hanger
- Metal Masher
- Rose Garden Hill / Top of the World*

We were thinking along the lines of something like Hell's Revenge on Monday to give the new guy an appreciation of slick rock, but could be any of the easier "Difficult" trails or any "Moderate" or "Easy" trails, but the thought process was something close to town as we'd likely still be ragged out from the 1,100 mile trip from our part of the Left Coast. . .

I've done Elephant Hill twice - - its a decent trail, but after the initial climb the rest is pretty easy, maybe a few tight spots, but it's scenic and a hike to the "Crack" is worth the trip, but it's pretty far out of town (~50 miles) and it's also a fee use area.

I really want to do Kane Creek - - previous attempts weathered out, so that is one still waiting to cross off my list. Moab Rim I've only done once and really would like to repeat. . . The PSM/GS/GBR is partially since it's an epic trail (for the new guy, Jonathan), but also to run the Where Eagles Dare option. . . Although I've run Cliff Hanger and Metal Masher a number of times each, they are always fun.

* So, Top of the World is under consideration as it's a great trail, but Phil's widow might come down to Moab on that weekend to spread some of his ashes, and she identified that trail as where she'd like to do it. . . If she makes it to town, I'd say that Kevin, Jonathan, Dwight, and I will most likely run that trail on Saturday, with Rose Garden Hill as the route up.

These trail suggestions are by no means set - - Moab is great whatever trail you pick, and if there is anyone "on the fence" about coming out, we can adjust and select any trail that keeps you in your comfort zone. For me, every trail will be "new" to the (new to me) Sport that replaced the venerable B3. Besides, final decisions always occur at the City Market parking lot, no matter what might have been planned in advance . . .

C'mon, it's MOAB ! ! !

Paul
Paul, you can add me in, Likley be in Moab Friday, Saturday, Sunday very much a Moab newb, but game to try some place new.

since the ranger won’t fit the family I’m bringing down my explorer, prep work and upgrades underway.

0B185C4D-1E72-4669-9A68-4C20F6438BB0.jpeg
8BCC2274-4C00-490E-A5C3-5C83B00C7CF0.jpeg

29A707CD-6936-4F0F-8D1D-206A85D510B8.jpeg

That's an excellent post Paul! Well written sir.

The Must do trails for my son, Kurt (both Moab virgins), & myself are:

Fin's & Things & Hells Revenge. ( Rig & driver Testing trails )
Kane Kreek.
The Big 3.
Did the big 3, in 2013 in the FJ, but need to do them in the Ex.
I figure that is 3 days worth, which leaves us open, for 3 more days of whatever..

Kurt will have a fresh built V-8 swapped SAS 1st gen sport, on it's first real wheeling trip, and I have done a bunch of mods, since the last time in Moab. The easy to hard progressive reasoning, is because of that. LOL! :D

Trails that Paul mentioned, & I have not been on, and not sure how well my 2nd gen IFS rig can handle, without a winch rope on the front end:
Moab Rim
Metal Masher
Cliff Hanger
Where Eagles dare (never heard of it)
Rose Garden Hill (is this a rock garden climb?)
Those that have been on those trails, please let me know, if you believe they are too much without a crap ton of front articulation.

@Mikerider The Ranger will fit with this group any day of the year, on any event thrown!!

I do believe JobeJerry is also attending. Add him to that list if you would sir.

@Mikerider The Ranger will fit with this group any day of the year, on any event thrown!!
Thanks man, I should be more specific, the ranger does not have the seating to transport my wife and 2 kids from Seattle to Moab lol.

Ranger would be a far better choice capability wise but the explorer should still be fun.

I am not sure what day I will arrive yet.

The only trail on my must-do is Kane Creek. I always miss out by a day or two and have never run it.

Other trails on my radar this trip:
Steelbender
Pickle

I'm probably up for Rose Garden Hill as well.

Not too interested in the Big3 at this point as I did those a few years ago and I am looking for new stuff I haven't done yet (which is a lot).

I want to run Elephant Hill too but I'm taking the wrong Explorer for that :p

Not going to make this... however there are things happening in life right now, that may make this more of a place I can frequent more, as well as other off road destinations. We'll see what happens 🤞

Paul, you can add me in, Likley be in Moab Friday, Saturday, Sunday very much a Moab newb, but game to try some place new.

since the ranger won’t fit the family I’m bringing down my explorer, prep work and upgrades underway.
Apologies for the omission, Mike - - and that Explorer is looking good ! ! ! Ranger rims look good on the Ex, too.

Updated Post #68 above with the list of attendees.

Paul

I want to run Elephant Hill too but I'm taking the wrong Explorer for that :p
I heard ~31s, a rear locker and a good driver (line choices) would work on that trail. If that's true, you've got plenty to run it. :cool:

Apologies for the omission, Mike - - and that Explorer is looking good ! ! ! Ranger rims look good on the Ex, too.

Updated Post #68 above with the list of attendees.

Paul

No sweat man! the explorer should be fun, a few more improvements to go, Diffs are ordered so I will at least have a rear LS and some deeper gears. Might get to a locker install. The rims are stock explorer 17s also, need the big wheels to clear the aviator brakes.

Will anyone be there the weekend prior? I made my plans with some friends before finding this post...I'll be there 7th-10th

received_399052514113955.jpeg

I have a friend coming with me, in a Ram 1500 4x4 crewcab/shortbed pickup. Not sure what he is willing to try with it..

I am thinking of doing one day of doing Long Canyon road (not paved), up to Dead Horse State Park, then over to Island in Sky, and back down doing NF142/Shafer Canyon Rd with him. This has spectular overlooks, and sharp dropoffs (big pucker factor, but really safe... if you don't drive off the edge.)

Will anyone be there the weekend prior? I made my plans with some friends before finding this post...I'll be there 7th-10th

View attachment 329555
Jim, I'm not getting there until the day your leaving. Probably a good thing, as wrinkled steel is not my deal. Lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I've been talked into taking a trip that I can't afford. LoL
I've just made reservations for a cabin at KOA. (all thats left! No RV spots left)

I'll need a list of trails that a mildly lifted, trac-loc only, but experienced... err... practiced driver can enjoy

Back