Morimoto H1s and mounty headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Morimoto H1s and mounty headlights

Here is the start of my retrofit
Before (Dirty Lens)

Before without lens

First one installed (dirty lens)

Both installed no lenses (I need to buff the lenses)

Clean Driverside Lens!

Clean Passenger Lens!
All I could find to clean was Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restore but it seemed to work well!

Angel Eyes LED (testing)

passenger headlight LED Angel eye mounted test

Driverside headlight LED Angel eye mounted test

both Headlights LED Angel eyes mounted test

Still not fully aimed, and need to paint the grill, more pics to come!
These are now on a 96 Explorer :-D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good i think i like the look of projectors in the mounty headlaps! as far as cleaning the lenses i used Meguiar's PlastX cleaner with a buffing wheel. came out very clean and smooth.

I was wondering when someone was gonna retrofit mountaineer headlights...those look absolutely awesome!!! :thumbsup:

For cleaning the lenses I used a 3m headlight restoration kit on my friend's mom's Honda Accord and her lights were about as yellow as yours and they look almost brand new now

00meangreenXLT said:
I was wondering when someone was gonna retrofit mountaineer headlights...those look absolutely awesome!!! :thumbsup:

For cleaning the lenses I used a 3m headlight restoration kit on my friend's mom's Honda Accord and her lights were about as yellow as yours and they look almost brand new now

Yea I have been contemplating doing it for a while, so the other day I went to the pick n pull yard saw the lights/front end and said why not! Btw thanks for the suggestions on the headlight cleaning

Nice Work!!

How are you mounting the angel eyes to them?

I still haven't gotten the angel eyes in yet so I have no clue

Nice.

I really like the Morimoto H1 setup. I just did a 2,500 km trip to Wisconsin and much of it at night. This is such a great lighting option. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Thanks celly im really hoping this ends up well! I just cleaned the lenses tonight since im still waiting on the angel eyes and they are looking nice and shiny instead of crappy and cloudy:)

Also im going to be stripping the chrome off of the mountaineer grill and getting rid of the mercury logos this weekend. Im not sure if I should paint the grill white like my car or black

op updated with clean lenses.

also decided to paint the border around the grill white to match the car and leave the grill chrome!

looks great dude, can't wait to see them on your truck!!

I have to add though, i bet if you can find the 3M restoration kit, it'll make the lights even clearer than u already made them, because I used the turtle wax one on my own headlights before the 3M one, and the 3M one made the lights even more clear which I why I went right to that one when I did my friend's mom's accord...here's some crappy pics of the job I did on hers, they were taken with my iPhone, the difference in person is like night and day

Before:
2ef3e0f0.jpg

After:
f11b6323.jpg

After the holidays I will be looking for the 3m one but for now that was all I could find

cool....i got mine at autozone it was like 25 bucks and you do need a drill for it

Guess that means I need to buy a drill too

yeah you're definitely gonna need that for the 3M one lol a regular battery powered one is what I used

After the holidays I will be looking for the 3m one but for now that was all I could find

Honestly, I don't know how wide the aftermarket is for mountaineer housings, but if you can find a set of TYC's or DEPO/ANZO's for cheap, buy a new set of housings, and just swap the lenses over. Unless you have yours professionally restored they'll never be 100%

$23.00 a piece from rockauto.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back