Mounty71's Elite Registry--'91 Explorer | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounty71's Elite Registry--'91 Explorer

After saying goodbye to my 1992 Explorer in 2004, i've always wanted to get another 1st gen. Yesterday it actually happened when i took ownership of The Black Goblin, a 1991 Explorer 4x4. :D IT currently has less than 88,000 miles on the odometer, with the original engine and a replaced/rebuilt auto trans.

Here's a list of the modifications that I know of:

I believe it's a 4" rough country lift, with upper shock mount from '78 bronco and limit straps
the rear consists of add-a-leaf and autozone lift shackles
32" mud tires
15" American Racing 8 hole wheels
4:56 gears w/ factory rear trac-lock
open-air filter not currently installed
cherrybomb turbo muffler
big red front bumper and skidplate with 4 light mounts (Sold)
billet grill
aftermarket headunit and 2 subs inbox (subs gone)
center console from 92-94 explorer
CB radio under dash
hi-lift jack

Also, James, the previous owner, has gone through the vehicle and replaced just about every accessory in the engine bay.

COMING SOON:
35" M/Ts
locker (powertrax no-slip in the rear)
new front tube bumper and skidplate
electric driver seat

COMING LATER:
manual hubs
rear bumper w/ tire carrier
fiberglass front fenders (maybe)
deaver leaf springs
BTF cut and turned beams
KMC Enduro wheels
clear corners
...and one day, painted to match my green mountaineer

Here are some pictures the day after i brought it home.

DSC01051.jpg

DSC01050.jpg

DSC01049.jpg

DSC01048.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

DSC01046.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You saw those Glamis pictures. :) I had 1 or 2...or 4 wheels off the ground a couple times. :D Seriously though, i did not floor it constantly, in fact, i don't think i ever floored it taking off either.

Well my mountaineer has been getting a bit higher MPG (that could also be because cruising on the freeway the explorer was at or above 3000 RPMs with worn 32s and 4.56s) , but still the explorer is getting in the double digits. I do think the exhaust needs some work though, so when i get that taken care of soon, i'll probably replace the cats too for reassurance.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

..if you are getting misfires you should have some stored codes...jumper your plug to get them...sorry, i forget which 2 points to jumper...it is in the haynes and i know the info is on here too...;)

i've heard is "popcorn" and to me, it doesn't sound like a miss fire. maybe im only used to a certain sound my missfires make. but his, when i heard it, was really subtle.

truck looks awesome matt. the fender trimming came out clean.

yeah teh red bumper's gone, but i thought black widow might work still anyways. oh well, we'll just call it the "mob mosher"

or we can call it split pea. cause the pea soupe green

LOL I think it's called olive drab not split pea green. :D

and by the way the bumper is still red :(

i am gonna see what i can do about it this weekend since i have nothing else to do :( :(

i am gonna see what i can do about it this weekend since i have nothing else to do :( :(

no, make those smiley faces. making lemonade out lemons. (obviously you use lemons to make lemonade, but you get what i mean)

yea since i cannot make it out to t-haven this weekend i am gonna work on the X and see what i can get done.

sorry for the Hijack Matt :D

Not a problem, cyber. I did kinda get lost when RJ started talking about lemons. I hope he's not referring to my truck? :scratch:

...we could get some beverages and make a work party at cyber's for all those who can't go to th, say, sunday...:scratch:

Hmm, now you got me thinkin'...

I do have a few kinks to work on.

Looks really good Matt. I'm likin the olive drab accents. It's kinda like an Izwack startup kit.

I was thinking the same thing. I was picturing his wheels and sliders on mine. :)

The misfiring should not be a problem anymore, after a tune-up the mechanic said it's not happening anymore, i'll see on monday when i get the truck back. I'm definitely relieved.

I talked to my dad and after offroading in big bear yesterday, we might be going up there again for a day of wheeling with his jeep and my explorer. If or when we go, anyone is welcome to join us.

Ahhh i wondered why you were at Big Bear Truckless. But never got the chance to ask you.

Of Course i am down for another trip to BB as long as it not a last minute deal.
:D

The explorer runs a LOT better, it feels like it's got a whole new engine, and it sounds healthy. I need to figure out how to fix the steering problem now. The steering box separates from the frame when i steer because one of the holes is stripped out. RJ suggested just a longer bolt and put a nut on the other end to keep it against the frame. Any other suggestions? It's a little nerve racking to drive.

I think RJ's suggestion would be the cheapest/easiest way to go . just use nyloc nuts if you do. Any other way would require replacing the whole steering box.

So i'm thinking i want to finally replace the steering box, and just maybe while i'm waiting out a sale on the truck i could wheel it. So on rockauto could someone tell me what to buy? I'm guessing i need to replace the whole steering box, or steering pump, the one on the truck works but one of the holes is stripped out. I'm gonna have a friend/mechanic buddy replace it for me hopefully.

Also on rockauto, there are two t-case shift motors, one new and one remanufactured. Are reman'd parts good and reliable? This question applies for the steering box as well. I can't find these parts at a junkyard.

The truckhaven trip coming up just sounds sooo good to me.

what's the price difference? if it's not much more expensive, just get the new part.

Back