My 2000 Explorer 4 door XLT | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2000 Explorer 4 door XLT

I did tighten these two bolts for the shifter bracket under the dashboard already, I have found these loose on many Explorers and Rangers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, the weak links are the shift tube and shaft, but also those far rear bolts coming loose. My 98 Mercury was very loose and happened fast, tightening the bolts helped the most. The other three trucks I've bought were quite loose when I got them. Some people are very rough with the shifter, too rough.

Impressive work! I wish I had read it sooner. My push rods were pretty worn on one end and the rockers had 0.030 divots rubbed into them by the top of the valves.

Currently, my 99 ohv does not throw any codes but seems to have no little to no power. Will have to get the obd scanner going.

Did those on my Grand Marquis. Eventually the car won't start unless you do a dance and you can even select neutral or the 2nd position. Eventually the shift tube can torque and break.

Thank you for posting this video - I've been at that "dance" point 96eb98 mentioned for 3 months now, just ONE question - can the truck roll if you put it in park before doing this repair? Repair itself looks slow but doable.

Goodbye 2000 Explorer with wheel flares. You were very good looking, but you had the wrong engine in you.
I will remember the times you took me to work and brought me home.
Thank you for your service.

IMG_7731.jpg

“You had the wrong engine in you”
Lol lol that’s great and oh so true

They should all be pushrods! Lol lol

Lol I has a push rod engine in it
That year should have a sohc
And 4pointslow is a sohc guy
Funny this ride ended up in his hands

I know I was teasing they should all be pushrod v8
Gen ii explorer too heavy for the old 4.0 overhead valve

I like Godzilla, the newer Ford 7.3 pushrod engine.

I like Godzilla, the newer Ford 7.3 pushrod engine.
the engines (modern one at least... if i could include oldies, it'd include the 350 and the 5.0, 454, 6.9IDI, 7.3... etc etc) but modern ones is the 7.3 gasser, 6.7 power stroke 6.7 cummins, the 572 in the copo camaro... and thats about it :) oh and 5.0 coyote is pretty dece.

428 SCJ 69/70

I'd love any Cleveland with a proper high rpm valvetrain and intake etc. Those were made for 7000+ rpm, but you have to upgrade the valvetrain to really enjoy the huge power possible. The LS engines were based on that huge intake port concept, GM developed it fully, 30+ years later. Bob Glidden made them world famous, and then Ford obsoleted them in 1974. NASCAR took over, and Bill Elliot enjoyed the advantage for a long time, then came restrictor plates.

Back