my 97 ex | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my 97 ex

I figure its time to redo my registry, as the 1st time around it was full of random stuff and very un-informitive. She started out as a stock 97 xlt to replace my totaled 94. I picked her up for $400 needing a rear drive shaft and upper ball joints in july of 2010. The set of pics in this post are shortly after i brought her home, with the only mods being the brush guard that came on it and the 30" mud tires from my 94. Over time i slowly built her up, starting with the oil pressure guage mod, then a TT and air shocks. After that came several different tire and wheel combinations, eventually ending up with 33" Goodyear DuraTrac's on 15" d-windows. Somewhere amongst the different tires i installed an Aussie locker. I added a Cobra 29ltd, but I still need the bracket, so while it functions the install is not complete yet. I now also have a custom rear bumper and custom dual exhaust. Im sure there is more that I'm missing, but that is the bulk of it.
S6300038-1.jpg

S6300040.jpg

S6300038.jpg

S6300039.jpg

S6300041.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good RB, I put 33's on my 96 with tt/shackles :)

I ordered an Aussie last night, now to save up for a new set of 33's. She's comming along nicely

Got a set of tan Eddie Bauer seats, gonna start installing them in a bit with pics to follow

Nice!

Pics Or it didn't happen

Im working on it J, my camera is broken and my iphone isnt wanting to share my pics with my laptop, just Facebook

Havent really posted much lately, as the explorer has been sitting while i tried to save up for a whole bunch of parts. She finally got some much needed steering and suspension parts yesterday. new inner and outer tie rod ends, lower ball joints, and wheel bearings.
If you notice, the dust sheild is missing, i bought an off-brand bearing and the speed sensor wouldnt clear the sheild. I was running out of daylight so i had to put it together without the sheild. Autozone sold me the wrong axle seal so it will have to come back apart later and i will modify the sheild and reinstall then. The wet spot on the lower control arm is water from the bellows boot on the inner TRE, so the rack is gonna need replaced the next time the inners fail. There was a fair bit of corrosion and rust in there, and i cant find new boots that arent attatched to a rack

Welp, it has been a fun ride, but this chapter in my RBV history has come to an end. The frame is rotted out pretty bad and the cost of a proper repair far exceeds the value of the 300k mile rig. She is being replaced with a 95 ranger stx extended cab.

New registry Wreck-It-Ranger

Back