• Register Today It's free!

My EX is in the hospital :(

Medic531

Reaction score
City, State
Moore, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer 4x4 XLT
So my EX, the four legged rubber version was struck by a hail storm yesterday with nearly $10K worth of damage. Insurance didn't total it and its going to be all repaired. Estimated time in the hospital is 23 days. Please join me in sending prayers and please keep her in your thoughts for a speedy recovery!! Meanwhile I am trying to figure out how I will survive without an explorer for nearly a month :O

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hate to hear that, hope she comes out looking good as new. Maybe a tummy tuck, a lift, etc... haha

Does your insurance not provide for a rental? If they do, perhaps you can get an Explorer.

Peter

So my EX, the four legged rubber version was struck by a hail storm yesterday with nearly $10K worth of damage. Insurance didn't total it and its going to be all repaired. Estimated time in the hospital is 23 days. Please join me in sending prayers and please keep her in your thoughts for a speedy recovery!! Meanwhile I am trying to figure out how I will survive without an explorer for nearly a month :O

That's so sad, our prayers are with you and she will come back looking good as new

Too late for pictures?
It's amazing that this type of damage can be repaired relatively easy via PDR.

Does your insurance not provide for a rental? If they do, perhaps you can get an Explorer.

Peter

Nope no coverage for rental. Never thought about needing one...until now lol
My policy updates in June I will be adding it lol

44F279CA-ED28-441A-B9D8-07BE831B097D.jpeg
868D61B2-083A-4D46-973E-50B4DB00E992.jpeg
894FEDC9-15DF-4DF2-A02F-90EA431DE327.jpeg
5B468F9A-17BB-4BE5-A749-D73631206985.jpeg
Too late for pictures?
It's amazing that this type of damage can be repaired relatively easy via PDR.

The guy said almost all of the dents will have to be fixed “conventionally” which is why they are estimating 23 days. I have a few pics.

2CB7B462-FD1A-4A16-AFD4-E816DB5CF263.jpeg

1F551AEC-7FA8-4E6E-B6D3-705C169121B7.jpeg

F974662E-ADF1-4685-B0B0-5AA3EC95B577.jpeg

Thinking about Line-X or Rhino lining the hood, roof & mirrors. I would like the whole vehicle but it prob cost too much.

The same thing happened a few years ago in my area where a car dealership had that happen to the cars on the lot. They had a big clearance sale later.

Peter

Is it just windshield, a-pillar trim and dents on roof and hood? If so, that shouldn't be more than maybe $3-4k. Where are all the folks saying that $10k seems "insanely high"?

Is it just windshield, a-pillar trim and dents on roof and hood? If so, that shouldn't be more than maybe $3-4k. Where are all the folks saying that $10k seems "insanely high"?
There is damage to all the front, left, right, rear, roof of the vehicle. The adjuster advised me most if not all of these dents would have to be fixed conventionally. When I took the car to the dealer to hand it over they advised me that quote was likely spot on and time frame of 20-23 days is very likely. He said its not so much the amount of damage as it is the time it takes to fix it all. A lot of the cost is coming from labor. The estimate has 38hrs of work predicted. They also advised me the damage to the roof and hood is too severe that they are just replacing both. I had no idea you can replace a roof?!?!?

There is damage to all the front, left, right, rear, roof of the vehicle. The adjuster advised me most if not all of these dents would have to be fixed conventionally. When I took the car to the dealer to hand it over they advised me that quote was likely spot on and time frame of 20-23 days is very likely. He said its not so much the amount of damage as it is the time it takes to fix it all. A lot of the cost is coming from labor. The estimate has 38hrs of work predicted. They also advised me the damage to the roof and hood is too severe that they are just replacing both. I had no idea you can replace a roof?!?!?

Yeah, isn't the Roof welded and stuff?? This is news to me too.

Cut & paste.:D

Yeah, isn't the Roof welded and stuff?? This is news to me too.
Quarter panels are welded and replaced all the time. I’d fill the dents with Fiberglass jelly, Bedliner the whole truck and pocket $8,000.

I am surprised they didn't total it especially having to do it old school by hand.

Quarter panels are welded and replaced all the time. I’d fill the dents with Fiberglass jelly, Bedliner the whole truck and pocket $8,000.

Im trying to get some quotes on spraying the vehicle but so far I have been unsuccessful. They are taking forever to reply to my requests. I made a thread just for this on the body work forum but havent heard anything there either. I guess uts not popular on explorers.

I am surprised they didn't total it especially having to do it old school by hand.

They said it was right at 50%. The shop will do their own and see how close they get to the initial estimate. I guess if they find more they could total it but idk how that works after insurance has already seen the vehicle.

If the shop does find more stuff etc... they will submit a supplement to the insurance company. If it was too big of an adjustment, the insurance could end up totaling it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im trying to get some quotes on spraying the vehicle but so far I have been unsuccessful. They are taking forever to reply to my requests. I made a thread just for this on the body work forum but havent heard anything there either. I guess uts not popular on explorers.

You asked about bed liner on that sub forum though...
Regardless, @MONMIX might be available with some more pertinent information in this thread.

Back