My Jurrasic Explorer build thread | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Jurrasic Explorer build thread

If you are going to go all out on this as it appears, I’d reconsider the body work. I’d cut out ANY bad metal and fully replace it with new sheet. The way you are doing it will only last a few years before it eats through the expensive paint you will be laying down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are going to go all out on this as it appears, I’d reconsider the body work. I’d cut out ANY bad metal and fully replace it with new sheet. The way you are doing it will only last a few years before it eats through the expensive paint you will be laying down.

I certainly agree. This vehicle was totally rust free and the filler is being used to build up repaired areas from damage done when a previous owner side swiped something. I'd use lead to fill if I could, but I'm not set up to do that, plus today's sheet metal is so thin the heat would probably screw it up.

Any rust repair I do is done by welding in new metal. You're definitely right, it would be a shame to not do it right from the start.

To those following this project, I have run into problems building a shop. Rental storage is killing my finances for the shop and other things have just gotten in the way. Hopefully soon I'll be getting started on this again. Having a place to work is key, especially doing body work. I have a building but it will need significant work to be what I need it to be while operating on a limited budget.

To those who have been wondering about this project, they may be happy to see that it has not been abandoned and there may be some progress on this soon. I've had enough of not making headway on my projects. I've begun finishing a section of the garage into a shop space in order to have a place to work on these projects. I figure it's either that or start selling stuff which I'm not quite ready to do yet. The explorers have been hiding in storage for the last couple years and it's time for that to change.

Once the shop is complete, I won't be able to immediately start on my vehicles, but just having a covered place to work will be a step in the right direction and may allow me to get back on this later in the year. It will be fully insulated with heat as well.

As always, we'll see what happens. Hopefully this year will be better on so many levels!

The JP sits waiting patiently.

IMG_20200221_144751616.jpg

Minor update. The steel is procured, and the equipment is being moved. I'm setting up for the next major part of the garage renovation to create a year round space in which to work. This space will hopefully give birth to my Jurassic project sometime around next spring.

I've installed new steel posts on 24" concrete footers to support the W8-21 beams. I'm lifting and supporting the front of the building in order to remove a concrete post and two 8' wide doors. In their place will be a new 16' wide insulated door. I'll be able to heat the space and have plenty of room for two vehicles at once. I've insulated the ceiling and walls and installed the wood beam to support and new storage area above. The rest of the building will be quick access storage bays for the cars we are showing during a given season. Many of the machines are stored off-site in a storage building.

IMG_20210625_091722248.jpg

IMG_20210526_133918843_HDR.jpg

Love the Model A :chug:

A friend of mine restored this one... No where near as desirable a model as yours though, that's for sure.

a1.jpg

Love the Model A :chug:

A friend of mine restored this one... No where near as desirable a model as yours though, that's for sure.

View attachment 340219
Thanks Rick. It's been a project for a bit. It's a rumble seat roadster too. I just finished painting the wheels a few weeks ago. Last year I installed a new engine and transmission all freshly rebuilt by a friend of mine in Shandon Ohio. They specialize in model Ts and As, but do all kinds of other old stuff. They just finished a 1926 Cadillac V8, and they're restoring some connecting rods for a Rumley oil pull tractor.

Your friends car is very nice! I love the green two tone. Is it a 30 or 31? Ours is a 30. Next on ours will be new top and interior.

Here is a better pic of the car. This was before I redid the white wall on the old spares. I found some old 1930 KY plates for it too. I'm going to be refinishing them very soon.

IMG_20210425_192214392_HDR.jpg

Back