My Jurrasic Explorer build thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Jurrasic Explorer build thread

Also, here is some inspiration for yea!

View attachment 92094
Very nice! I've seen yours on Google searches. Looks great! I can't wait to get some more done on this. It's been slow going the past few weeks. Hoping to get some done soon. I have a lot going on the next several weeks, so progress will be slow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@NICE59FORDF100 ,

You have a '92 Explorer with a 5R55E? Like the same one that's in the 3rd-Gen Explorer? How's that working for you? Was it hard to swap? Lots of crazy electrical work? How well does it work? I like the idea of a 5 speed auto. I love the tranny in my 2004 Explorer. It's fantastic going down steep grades and I get pretty decent gas mileage.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

@92exp4x4 , I love the work you are doing. I would love to see more people do frame-off restorations on first-gen Explorers. They're great little trucks. Not throw-away vehicles like the new generation. I can't wait to see more!

I think the transparent roof is not necessary.

I like the transparent roof, but I wouldn't take a saw to the roof of a vehicle unless I knew I was going to get it done nicely. Emerson had some guts doing that! His project turned-out pretty nice, but I don't have the guts.

I've thought about replicating the Explorer at the Universal Studios in Japan. Much easier mod. I would do the Baja spotlight and the dual antenna. Just to shake things up, I thought about putting one of those Safari roof racks on the top. If my 1994 Explorer needed paint, I would make it into a JPX.

Thanks all, I'm really chomping at the bit to get back on this . I have been so busy at work lately, I don't have much time to do anything else in the evenings. I may take a couple days off here soon and just bust a bunch out.

I will probably have some progress this weekend. Once I can get started on the body work, progress should flow fairly quickly.

@NICE59FORDF100 ,

You have a '92 Explorer with a 5R55E? Like the same one that's in the 3rd-Gen Explorer? How's that working for you? Was it hard to swap? Lots of crazy electrical work? How well does it work? I like the idea of a 5 speed auto. I love the tranny in my 2004 Explorer. It's fantastic going down steep grades and I get pretty decent gas mileage.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

@92exp4x4 , I love the work you are doing. I would love to see more people do frame-off restorations on first-gen Explorers. They're great little trucks. Not throw-away vehicles like the new generation. I can't wait to see more!

Not a big deal. I was curious about that as well. He must have used a stand alone trans controller to make it work.

I agree with you. Not many people want to fix up explorers of any year. It's kind of a shame, but keeps them cheap too.

I agree with you. Not many people want to fix up explorers of any year. It's kind of a shame, but keeps them cheap too.

We should preserve them, and other similar vehicles.

@NICE59FORDF100 , I want to know what kind of gas mileage you're getting.

We should preserve them, and other similar vehicles.
These vehicles are like around the world.
Thanks all, I'm really chomping at the bit to get back on this
How do you brake line problem solved? Will remain the same ? Or is there a way to install a stainless steel tube. Please forgive me if I missed it.

How do you brake line problem solved? Will remain the same ? Or is there a way to install a stainless steel tube. Please forgive me if I missed it.

Sorry Chirko, but I'm not following you. Maybe my quoted text was translated incorrectly? I don't remember talking about the brake lines. I did take them one off and paint them silver as they are in perfect shape. I then reinstalled them onto the frame before remounting the body.

"A good cleaning, paint, all new seals, brakes, brake lines and oil is planned for it. I thinking of using stainless lines. Has anyone out there dealt with stainless? I know its much harder to work with. I may have to get special flaring tools and stuff but I don't know for sure" - Is there a brake lines made of stainless steel are not talking? Then I'm sorry, I misunderstood!:banghead: On my vehicle of the rear brake line from the copper tube.

I see what you were refering to. That was a few years ago when I first started this project with another vehicle. It was put on hold for a couple years and I'm starting over with another truck. The first one got destroyed, it was a bad time.

To answer your question; I never found any kind of a kit for the brake lines. A normal flaring tool should be good for flaring stainless lines. I have not done it yet, so I'm not sure how it would work out. On the current vehicle, the lines are in perfect shape. I just put a little silver paint on them for color and put them back on.

Ok, so it will live on through other Explorers.

A normal flaring tool should be good for flaring stainless lines. I have not done it yet, so I'm not sure how it would work out.
OK. I am also interested in this topic. With a stainless steel is hard work. I agree.

@cantornikolaos, @92exp4x4, I must have missed all the activity in this thread! So about the 5R55E swap...

If you clicked on that link, I have a thread talking all about that swap. in a nutshell, I took a 1997 5R, bolted it behind the first gen 4.0 OHV, and used a 97 SOHC pcm to shift the transmission while at the same time running the engine off the stock EEC-IV pcm. So in sense, the truck had two pcms, the 97 pcm was just being used to shift the trans. it did so my "seeing" all the same engine inputs off the 4.0 OHV since I was running both pcm's off the same sensor data.

As far as how it drove, once I got past some little hiccups (remember, I built this from scratch and it had never been done before) the truck shifted flawlessly and drove just like a second gen v6. That is until the trans pump went out in the 5Rm (it was a salvage trans to begine with). so while it was driving, it drove great!

I thought about experimenting with that in the event that I had to replace the A4LD, if the 5R and mod is not much more costly than swapping another A4 in there. Does it make the truck much more efficient?

Thats sweet. if you wanted to make it more factory, find a pcm from a 97 Areostar, 4.0 with the 5 speed auto. It's rare but they are out there. I been thinking about doing this very thing. Aeros had ohv engines into 97.

Very cool to sync the two computers and make it work.

The Aerostar was a good van. It's a bummer they stopped making it. I thought they made Explorers with the OHV Cologne V6 into 1997. I think I even remember seeing it listed as an option back then. It could have been available with the 4R55E. I'm not sure on that one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OHV was continued in Explorers until 2001 I believe.

Back