My latest project: 1970 Dodge Dart 512 C.I. Bracket Racer | Page 59 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My latest project: 1970 Dodge Dart 512 C.I. Bracket Racer

Some of you may remember that I used to have a 1972 Dodge Dart which I drag raced.

DSC_0322.jpg

Well, I got the itch to get back into racing:burnout: Our new house is only 3 miles from the Speedworld racetrack and I can faintly hear them running the cars from our house. It was just too much for me to bare;) I haven't been doing much in the way of local fourwheeling, so I thought drag racing would give me something to do on the weekends.

A couple weeks ago I bought a 1970 Dodge Dart off of E-bay. The car was located in New Jersey, a mere 2500 miles from home:eek: I decided this was the right car for me mainly because I really needed to get out of the house on my own for a couple weeks and this was just the excuse I needed;)

The car is going to be stripped and repainted. It will get new quarter panels, at least one rocker, one floorpan, new door hinges, fiberglass hood, bumpers, and most likely trunk lid as well.

The new color will most likely be orange, but it just may end up being red, like my old one. Plans for it include a 650HP, 512 CI, big block Mopar and an automatic transmission. I'm just not sure if it will be from BB or SB or whether or not it will even be a Mopar:eek: I plan on ditching the torsion bar front suspension for an aftermarket K member which gives you rack and pinion steering, upgraded brakes, and the choice of coilover shocks or airbag suspension.

The rear end in the car right now is a trussed Mopar 8 3/4", with a three link suspension and coilovers.

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0407.jpg

DSC_0411.jpg

DSC_0412.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

All this talk is just delaying the inevitable street burn out.

:D

That's not going to happen anytime soon :( It needs a full exhaust just to be able to drive down my road. That open header 512 with 13.5:1 compression blows dirt everywhere the moment it gets off the concrete pad. I had to turn the car around last month. Looked like a dust storm coming through:burnout:

With a rear exit exhaust at least it will blast all the crap behind me.

Not only that, but it's summer and I don't think it will like our 110 degree days:eek:

The new management team is currently working on the schedule for the remainder of this year. To include "2" Lucas Oil drag boat events. Grand opening special events in October using both the dragstrip and the road course with support from Bob Bondurant Driving School. The Lucas Oil off road dirt track schedule is still in development. NHRA events for 2014 to be announced soon.

Attachments

• wild horse.jpg
    wild horse.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 378

..^^^^...I've actually watched that on tv not to long ago..

..I hope you don't mind that I post this here but it is a small world..

..I stopped by a small town I used to live in..(This is all of downtown and it's been closed for a few years..)

DSC0159b1.jpg

..Anyways, I was visiting friends at a few ranches when I drove by this one ranch with two toter-homes and a newer shop..I pulled in and it turned out to be a guy I've known for years and ran with his kids..

..Turns out he used to race OCIR but more importantly he knows you from the Wittman track..

...Although he just dropped this Chrysler motor in yesterday morning...

DSC0165b.jpg

DSC0161b.jpg

...He is as big of a Ford Fan as you can get..:biggthump

DSC0164b.jpg

Cool that you stopped by. I recognize his name, but that's about it.

The article is from 2010. It was resurfaced just as I started with my car. The first day out on the track for me was 10/10/10 and the car's number was 01 :eek:

Well, I am now the proud owner of a 20 gallon fuel cell and a mess of 3" exhaust tubing. And so it begins. ;)

Making it streetable?

Yes. The car has been sitting for 3 years. I need to do something with it.

Rumor has it the only other track in the area will be closing in just over a year :banghead:

I'll be good... I promise :D

I got motivated and started work on the car again. I brought the engine to the machine shop yesterday for a new set of lower compression pistons, and some cylinder head work.

Today I finished fabricating the aluminum dash.
IMG_20200501_165823.jpg

IMG_20200430_191800.jpg

That is still the cleanest bracket racer soon to be street rod I have ever seen. You did a great job on the body work

I take it your going to get it street able, and tag it.

We going to see you on street outlaws in the future?

I've had tags for it for the last several years, but it has never seen the street yet.

It's not going to be fast enough for Street Outlaws. They have so much money into their cars it's just unbelievable.

I started wiring the car about three years ago then let it sit incomplete. What a PITA it was trying to remember everything I did and figuring out what I had left to do. Everything is working now and I'm breathing a sigh of relief!

IMG_20200504_155022.jpg

Back