My latest project: 1970 Dodge Dart 512 C.I. Bracket Racer | Page 61 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My latest project: 1970 Dodge Dart 512 C.I. Bracket Racer

Some of you may remember that I used to have a 1972 Dodge Dart which I drag raced.

DSC_0322.jpg

Well, I got the itch to get back into racing:burnout: Our new house is only 3 miles from the Speedworld racetrack and I can faintly hear them running the cars from our house. It was just too much for me to bare;) I haven't been doing much in the way of local fourwheeling, so I thought drag racing would give me something to do on the weekends.

A couple weeks ago I bought a 1970 Dodge Dart off of E-bay. The car was located in New Jersey, a mere 2500 miles from home:eek: I decided this was the right car for me mainly because I really needed to get out of the house on my own for a couple weeks and this was just the excuse I needed;)

The car is going to be stripped and repainted. It will get new quarter panels, at least one rocker, one floorpan, new door hinges, fiberglass hood, bumpers, and most likely trunk lid as well.

The new color will most likely be orange, but it just may end up being red, like my old one. Plans for it include a 650HP, 512 CI, big block Mopar and an automatic transmission. I'm just not sure if it will be from BB or SB or whether or not it will even be a Mopar:eek: I plan on ditching the torsion bar front suspension for an aftermarket K member which gives you rack and pinion steering, upgraded brakes, and the choice of coilover shocks or airbag suspension.

The rear end in the car right now is a trussed Mopar 8 3/4", with a three link suspension and coilovers.

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0407.jpg

DSC_0411.jpg

DSC_0412.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You must be glad you spent all that time on the bodywork. Makes it easier to turn it into a street rod, bracket racer. 750HP is impressive. I will have to get a ride in it someday.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

You must be glad you spent all that time on the bodywork.

That's another story. It's been 10 years since it was painted and it spent 3 years on the track. Plenty of issues with the paint now, but it looks good to most. I just know every flaw on the car :(

IMG_20200812_162720.jpg

That looks like a fun way to spend the day. I am not being sarcastic, I always loved working on old cars.

That's another story. It's been 10 years since it was painted and it spent 3 years on the track. Plenty of issues with the paint now, but it looks good to most. I just know every flaw on the car :(

we all do. mine has never been in a garage and sits out in the elements. i hate drying it off because you find every little nick, rock chip and scratch

IMG_20200818_141908.jpg

Only it's not a hemi it's a wedge ;) I don't think I'll ever be able to afford a hemi :(

Shows what I know about Mopar

Mine is just a big block Mopar. The hemi is the "elephant". Check out the size of the valve covers, and the spark plugs that go through the center of the head...
hemi.jpg

Combined, the heads and the rocker shafts/arms for the hemi are probably three times more than I spent on mine.

IMG_20200823_171857.jpg

Mine is just a big block Mopar. The hemi is the "elephant". Check out the size of the valve covers, and the spark plugs that go through the center of the head...View attachment 320397

Combined, the heads and the rocker shafts/arms for the hemi are probably three times more than I spent on mine.
So the juice wasn't worth the squeeze?

So the juice wasn't worth the squeeze?

For the level of performance I'm after a 2nd gen hemi is just too expensive for me to justify when I can go just as fast, even more reliably with a regular big block. For all out performance like 1000hp+ the hemi can't be beat though.

It's getting so close that I put my order in for a personalized license plate. "512DART" on an Arizona Highways background will be the new plate.

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 7.33.03 PM.png

Finished the alternator bracket.
IMG_20200902_100615.jpg

that should keep her true!

IMG_20200902_171840.jpg

IMG_20200903_111000.jpg
IMG_20200902_125352.jpg

Back